It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitch McConnell Says That If Repeal Fails - TaxPayers Will Need To RESCUE ObamaCare.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: gimcrackery
Very hard to repeal Obama Care when most politicians family and friends have jobs running it and are on the government payroll. a reply to: carewemust

Here is a WISH LIST of items that Health Insurance companies said must be in place for them to re-enter ObamaCare markets for 2018, if Republicans fail to repeal it...

""If lawmakers want to shore up Obamacare for next year, they need only look to a wish list that insurers sent Senator Orrin Hatch in May. The requests, from America's Health Insurance Plans trade group, included:

--Funding the cost-sharing subsidies. These reduce the deductibles and co-pays of lower-income Obamacare enrollees, at least through 2019. Congress and President Trump have not committed to continuing these payments, which were at the center of a legal battle between the House of Representatives and the Obama administration. The lack of a guarantee is one of the primary reasons insurers are hiking premiums or bailing for next year.
Related: Insurer spells out how much Trump-fueled uncertainty hikes premiums

--Establishing a market stabilization program. This would help reduce premiums in the individual market by compensating insurers who have very costly customers. Obamacare originally had three programs that mitigated this risk, but two were temporary and expired last year. Funding a new initiative with $15 billion annually could lower rates by 15% or more, AHIP wrote.

--Enhancing credits for younger consumers. The additional funding could draw more 18- to 34-year-olds into the exchanges. That would help lower premiums for everyone since these enrollees generally have fewer health care needs.
--Repealing or suspending the health insurer fee. This levy was put on hold this year, but is set to return in 2018. That could raise premiums by more than 3%, according to AHIP.

--Including continuous coverage provisions to incentivize enrollees to maintain their insurance policies. This is the goal of the individual mandate, which Congress and the Trump administration are determined to eliminate. Instead, the Senate would institute a six-month waiting period for those who let their insurance lapse. The House would levy a 30% surcharge or allow insurers in some states to base premiums on health status. Insurers, however, fear that Republicans will weaken the mandate before they replace Obamacare, which could prompt healthy folks to drop their Obamacare policies.""

Source: money.cnn.com...

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Sounds to me like health insurance companies are viewing the United States Government as their personal Santa Claus, or Golden Goose. Due to Republican Senate stupidity, they might just get what they want!

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Stunning figures out today:

20% of the people who had private ObamaCare health insurance at the beginning 2017, have already dropped their coverage!

Primarily because the monthly cost was not affordable, even with taxpayer subsidies artificially lowering the premium.

theweek.com...

HOW MUCH TAXPAYER MONEY does Mitch McConnell plan to give health insurance companies to "shore up" (aka "bribe") them to lower their premiums, and increase their ObamaCare participation? Latest I've heard is $50 Billion for 2018. But IMO that's not enough, considering how quickly ObamaCare is collapsing.

I

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I read a suggestion earlier today that I thought sounded good. I'm still thinking it over, but in effect it would mimic Canada's system. In Canada each province maintains their own single payer system with some federal regulations in place to make everyone play fair. If we did the same in the US we could have 50 single payer systems, each competing to be the purchaser of goods, it would eliminate the conundrum of single payer creating a monopoly on the government side. Of course it also means each single payer system would lose some of the negotiating power we would have under just one federal system. But then the counterpoint, is that if one state screws up not everyone would be dragged down, unlike a federal screwup.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

SINGLE PAYER
SINGLE PAYER
SINGLE PAYER

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

As "wimpy" as Republicans are turning out to be this year, Senator Chuck Schumer might even compel them to enact a hybrid "Single Payer/Private Payer" model. There's no doubt that President Trump would be on-board with this, because, he has consistently spoken highly of these healthcare models in other countries. This hybrid system is what I prefer for America as well. (Republican impotence could be a good thing in this instance!)

If the Republicans were wimpy they would have just signed the first draft as the democrats did with the "you need to vote first then read" mentality.

What we are seeing is something that we have not seen in a long time, true debate. ACA let the genie out of the bottle to provide something our system just can not afford. There was so much wrong with ACA but they blindly voted on it... That is the problem here is how do we make something actually affordable for the country and still have accessible coverage for everyone.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I can't fathom why Mitch McConnell would receive a single Republican vote in his next election campaign. Get rid of these RINO jackasses.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

We should--we being all who want to see the (Un)Affordable Care Act repealed--lobby our congresspeople for this.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

SINGLE PAYER
SINGLE PAYER
SINGLE PAYER

So let me get this straight... government screwed up health coverage, government therefore must be able to un-screw it?

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

July 6, 2017

Things must be pretty bleak within the Republican party. After promising for SEVEN YEARS to REPEAL the Affordable Care Act (aka ObamaCare), Senate Majority "Leader", Mitch McConnell, is now saying that Republican control of the HOUSE, the SENATE, and the WHITE HOUSE, is not as "sweet" as he thought it would be.

McConnell is now suggesting that Republicans work with Democrats to "shore up" ObamaCare, as it's looking less likely that ObamaCare Repeal-Replace, or straight Repeal, is going to happen...EVER.

www.reuters.com...

"Shoring Up" ObamaCare is politically-correct slang for throwing Billions of ADDITIONAL Taxpayer Dollars to the Insurance Industry, year after year, in order to entice them back into the ObamaCare exchanges nationwide.

It's hard to believe that Mitch McConnell said this! (But he did.) Also, Democrat leaders say that they want to bail-out and prop-up the ObamaCare private insurance industry...the "EVIL and GREEDY" insurance industry. What's up with that? They hate the insurance industry!

ATS, if the Senate is unable to Repeal-Replace ObamaCare, are you for Congress directing billions of additional taxpayer dollars (YOUR dollars) to RESCUING the private health-insurance side of ObamaCare? (Medicaid is the government/public side. It's doing fine.)

As "wimpy" as Republicans are turning out to be this year, Senator Chuck Schumer might even compel them to enact a hybrid "Single Payer/Private Payer" model. There's no doubt that President Trump would be on-board with this, because, he has consistently spoken highly of these healthcare models in other countries. This hybrid system is what I prefer for America as well. (Republican impotence could be a good thing in this instance!)

-CareWeMust

Drudge linked to an article which was quoting Jason Chaffetz complaining about Republican leadership and stating that Congress has not done anything. He basically was saying leadership made all these promises and aren't delivering.

This is something a lot of us on the right have been complaining about and one of the reasons Trump won. The Republican leadership is SPINELESS. McConnell, Ryan, and the rest of their lackys. They voted to repeal Obamacare dozens of times but now that they have control, they can't repeal it? GTFOH. Vote on the same bills you voted on before.

The reality is that the Republican leadership doesn't want to get rid of O'care.

If the Republican leadership really believed their platforms they would be passing major tax reform (i.e., pretty much abolishing IRS and moving to fair tax type system) and repealing O'care. They have control of exec branch and congress. they can pass whatever they want at this point, but won't.

It is clear the RINOs and Democrats are the Uniparty.

Agreed. RINOs (Republicans In Name Only) will pay dearly in 2018 if they don't follow-through on the one promise they made to voters over and over again for 8 straight years.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Government intrusion and mandates drives up the premiums significantly. Government should NOT mandate what a private insurer MUST cover. Consumers are smart enough to decide that for ourselves, at health insurance shopping time.

Are they though? Look at all the people right now who say they don't want x, y, or z covered on their premium. What if someone doesn't cover cancer and then they get it? Do we just let them go bankrupt? The whole point of the ACA is that people shouldn't be losing their life savings and home because they get sick. That's going to happen with a la carte coverage.

The type of benefits that health insurance purchasers could opt out of before ObamaCare was relatively limited. Cancer was always covered, as long as the applicant didn't have cancer within 2 - 10 years of applying.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
What we need to do is stop identifying with this morons (Republicans & Democrats), and fighting for them like we owe them something. It's so frustrating to see people fight each other over men they don't even know. I'm guilty of it, and I'm tired of it.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Each state's Insurance Commissioner is supposed to ensure that health insurance companies doing business in that state "play fair". Before ObamaCare they held a lot of power and some were more "demanding" of health insurance companies than others.

New York and a few other Northeast states were very demanding. The premiums were significantly higher, but so were the protections.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

SINGLE PAYER
SINGLE PAYER
SINGLE PAYER

Interestingly, I came across a very insightful article on Single Payer today. It's an analysis of the Single Payer/Medicare for All plan that Bernie Sanders says he will introduce, if Republicans fail on their Repeal-Replace. There's also an analysis of how Single Payer is working in Great Britain and Canada. To avoid the pitfalls of those countries, (Great Britain cancelling 19 operations every day, due to facilities and staff shortages), $32 Trillion over the first 10 years will need to be allocated for Bernie's Medicare-For-All plan.

Here's the Article: www.forbes.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

The Affordable Care Act was debated for 2 years before being passed by Congress. It was Obama's sales job that pushed it to the finish line.

If the debate doesn't include lowering the cost of medical care/procedures/medications in this country, every "healthcare" bill is merely rearranging Titanic deck chairs.

Single Payer would lower the overall cost of medical care, but it comes with it's own unique problems.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
I can't fathom why Mitch McConnell would receive a single Republican vote in his next election campaign. Get rid of these RINO jackasses.

As astute long-time Congressional observers have consistently said since February.. the Congress isn't capable of "Trump Speed". Working 60 hours a week, with only 30 days off per year, would kill most of them. (Congress is only in Washington for a measly 138 days this year!)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Only a paltry 32 Trillion over 10 years why that's just 3.2 Trillion a year.

And what share of current annual federal budget would that consume ?

Yes gods you people are over the top far into la la land.

What I love about these estimates by US Chamber of Commerce loving folks at Forbes is they always always are lowballed.

I know we'll use entire annual tax receipts to pay healthcare and run EVERYTHING else in fiat fueled deficit.

Buy stocks as hyperinflation will have huge gains just before. .....................

They hit bottom.

Jeesh

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

I'm sure that sectors of the Medical Industry literally SALIVATE over Bernie Sander's Medicare-For-All bill that he wants to introduce! $3.2 TRILLION per year for them is a Windfall of the highest order. (Yes...that's a lowball figure. Always is!)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

If the debate doesn't include lowering the cost of medical care/procedures/medications in this country, every "healthcare" bill is merely rearranging Titanic deck chairs.

Single Payer would lower the overall cost of medical care, but it comes with it's own unique problems.

I agree, that is the problem, also they are looking at state level ACA type system too, which I fully agree with.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix

Only a paltry 32 Trillion over 10 years why that's just 3.2 Trillion a year.

Just tax the top .01% more that should cover it...lol

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
BREAKING NOW 7.11.2017

Senator McConnell has decided to NOT fully repeal ObamaCare. With Democrats calling the Senate's ObamaCare replacement a WINDFALL FOR THE WEALTHY, due to ObamaCare taxes being repealed as part of the overall package, McConnell has decided...

""The two taxes being kept are the 3.8 percent net investment tax and a 0.9 percent payroll Medicare tax for high earners. Those who earn over $200,000 per year.

The initial version of the bill eliminated both taxes, with the repeal of the net investment tax going into effect retroactively. According to the Congressional Budget Office, repealing that tax cost the government more than $170 billion over the next decade—money Senate Republicans can now use to boost other provisions in their bill, like the stability fund and the credits for individual insurance.""

I'm sure Rand Paul and Ted Cruz will go along with this, so long at their "Freedom of Choice" amendment is kept in the revised bill that will be released Thursday morning, 7.13.2017.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join