It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Returning to Reason - Rolling back minimum wage

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
No matter how high minimum wage is set, it will still be minimum wage. Everyone higher on the food chain will get a raise to compensate and the cost of living will increase as well.
Their situation will not change.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Nothin
What?

People still getting paid to work?

They should work for the privilege alone! In true service to: God; Country; and rich greedy bastards.

I'm just flabbergasted that people are still working to get paid! Why do that when you can sit on your ass watching TV and collecting those welfare handouts and subsidized life off the work sweat of others like so many folk do?

Thus why do you think Zuckerberg is going around with his free money deal? What people don't realize is, if you don't work and the government/tax payers are paying you to live, that rug can be pulled out from under your feet at any moment! Now imagine if for some crazy reason, EVERYONE gets a check?

I see the writing on the wall for that one.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Not sure about that. Wages normally increase in line with inflation. If they aren't keeping track of inflation, then the employers are short-changing their workers. Minimum wages have to be voted into effect, rather than developing naturally.

So you could see the minimum wage hoiked up a notch, then left behind as wages track inflation, then hoiked up a notch a decade or so later, and so on.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The elitism in this thread is palpable.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
The elitism in this thread is palpable.

So is the Cultural Marxism?

Our country was founded on the Constitution and Capitalism. If you hate it so much you might consider moving to Venezuela?

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

a reply to: Wayfarer

The minimum wage should be abolished entirely. Let the market decide what the wage basement for each job should be. If said basement doesn't pay the bills, seek a different career.

Because everyone has that opportuiny. How ignorantly naive you are to the real world.

Unless there's an anchor tied to your ass, freedom of mobility and career mobility are two very well defensed civil liberties present in the US. How arrogantly condescending of workers you are here in the real world.

Someone who was born into poverty does not have equal opportunity. Someone who loses both their parents does not have equal opportunity.
Someone who gets hurt while at their minimum wage job does not have equal opportunity. I can go on.
I think you need to look at life from a different perspective for once.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

a reply to: Nothin

"But: wouldn't the others be sweating just as much, if everyone worked?"

Without all of the social spending crap American workers are taxed to hell to fund, all of the Kept Voter programs, plus all of the artificial manipulations of the free market inherent to a system by which some are subsidized, those sweating more would take home more of their own actual earnings.

Sounds nice, but things don't usually work-out that way.

Say you're sitting at a poker table, and all of a sudden there's some extra cash on the table.
Who usually gets that cash?
That's right. It's the foxes, wolves, and sharks that scoop it up way before. The sweating laborer only notices it after it's gone.

It's kind of ridiculous to suggest that struggling single parents, old folks, and sick children are holding the American worker down.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

The minimum wage should be abolished entirely. Let the market decide what the wage basement for each job should be. If said basement doesn't pay the bills, seek a different career.

Because everyone has that opportuiny. How ignorantly naive you are to the real world.

Unless there's an anchor tied to your ass, freedom of mobility and career mobility are two very well defensed civil liberties present in the US. How arrogantly condescending of workers you are here in the real world.

Someone who was born into poverty does not have equal opportunity.

Sure I did.

I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who grew up very poor, with parents too proud to accept handouts and too stubborn to sell their votes to pandering politicians in exchange for becoming Kept Voters. Now I'm pushing a rock up a hill through a gauntlet of money grubbers trying to jam entitled hands into my pockets to scrape fro change. Try looking at things from the perspective of personal responsibility for once.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

It's kind of ridiculous to suggest that struggling single parents, old folks, and sick children are holding the American worker down.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, BUT once that link is broken, you have a much stronger chain (albeit a slightly shorter one).

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Where in America do you live that $7.70 is too high of a minimum wage?
If you work at a fast food place you can't even buy a meal there with what you make in an hour.

Is it just me, or does trickle down economics smell like pee?

originally posted by: seeker1963
Our country was founded on the Constitution and Capitalism. If you hate it so much you might consider moving to Venezuela?

Because as everybody knows...those are one's only choices. You funny!
edit on 6-7-2017 by JohnnyCanuck because: inclusive!

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, BUT once that link is broken, you have a much stronger chain (albeit a slightly shorter one).

Yeah: you get self-contained individual pieces. To hell with the weak pieces.
There would be no chain. Just the individual sweater, breaking his back everyday for table-scraps, while his owner, oops, employer, gets richer and richer.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Sure I did.

I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who grew up very poor, with parents too proud to accept handouts and too stubborn to sell their votes to pandering politicians in exchange for becoming Kept Voters. Now I'm pushing a rock up a hill through a gauntlet of money grubbers trying to jam entitled hands into my pockets to scrape fro change. Try looking at things from the perspective of personal responsibility for once.

That's the problem with our spoiled adult, children in todays society. I tell a story of when I was 8 or 9 and Pops worked in the steel mill. Times were tough. But man, when mom came home from grocery shopping and me and my brother got pop tarts? We were elated! Life was good! Same could be said for Hot dog buns! What a freakin treat! OMG, we can eat hot dogs on a bun instead of bread! If we had to go shopping with mom? We were told if we were good, she would think about allowing us to buy a 10 cent comic book 3 pack! OMG, we were good momma we were good!

Now apply that to how GD spoiled our children AND adults are today!

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer
Good news! Looks like the jokers over in Missouri finally wised up and realized that giving lower class folks more money only hurts all our situations.

www.msn.com...

From a ridiculous 10$ hike back down to a reasonable $7.70 (though honestly I think we can all agree that even that's still too high).

If they can keep their heads about them and continue this trend, Missouri may become the only state in the US that can compete with world leaders in manufacturing and technology (India, China, Pakistan, etc). If the minimum wage was closer to say $2-$3 you bet your sweet ass we would be flooded with so many jobs our heads would spin!

Looks like Trump will finally make good on that promise to bring jobs back from oversee's. Imagine, if Apple brought its iPhone manufacturing over here we could have effectively whole fabrication company owned cities spring up with jobs for manufacturing, just like the success at Foxconn in China!

This helps illustrate the problem with liberal ideology in the US where everyone thinks they deserve a kings wage where they can eat what they want, watch what they want, enjoy pastime activities as much as they want, and not have to do anything for it. Heck, my grandfather used to tell me when he was little his parents saved up for a vacation for 10 years, and you better believe everyone enjoyed the heck out of it! That's the America we need to return to.

MAGA!

Paper money and coined metal is a tailsman and a promissory note and it says, "In God We Trust."

Attempting to get something for less when the value is known to be high, such as human labor, is wrong, and when attached to a powerful Tailsman with the invocation of God right on it, bad things happen when it's abused.

Many people pray or cast spells to attract money and it works. There are many techniques. They discover through 'magik' that money works for them, they don't work for money. Is a spell work?
Is a prayer work? There seems to be a price one pays for doing this though but I am unclear what that is, a spiritual cost likely, and it's pretty clear from scripture that God and money are not one. God and humans are one or can be. Since God is of the living human being, any labor they do is part of God. The money in Tailsman form reminds everyone to Trust God, not the money. The money does not say, "In money we trust."

Keep that in mind.

edit on 6-7-2017 by WhiteWingedMonolith because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MaestroMind
This is the primary reason why it is best to earn relevant educations which are economically viable throughout one's working lifetime so that one does not have to depend on having government gauge your monetary earning potential.

Interesting you would say such a thing when the higher education system in itself is a business model, having very little to do with education and everything to do with profit.

link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I went through similar. My time was in the 80s and 90s, so comics were a bit more than a dime, but for us every other Friday was payday and that meant we could rent a Nintendo game for the weekend and get a box of Cap n Crunch for Saturday breakfast.

I'm especially amused at the folks who talk about internet, cable TV, and cell phones like they're necessities and should be tax payer provided for those who aren't able to afford them alone.

link   
Maybe we should do as we once did, and put them in "poor farms", along with their poor children and their poor dogs, and and let them live there. Put them to work all day for their meals, and the shirts on their backs.

I mean, these people aren't really human, are they Burdman? And you should be the one to determine that. I nominate you, since you presume to sit in judgment of everybody and every thing who, thank God, is not like you.

link   
Keep fighting over the minimum wage and ignore the man behind the curtain...

The real issue is fiat currency, fractional reserve banking, and rampant devaluation of the USD.

Want to fix the wage problem? Gain control of our money back from the central bankers and their unconstitutional scheme.

Until we do that, it doesn't matter what the minimum wage is, we are not in control.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I would not call that reason. Reason would allowing cities and counties to set their own min. Wage. The cost of living in the middle of nowhere is a lot different then in a large city.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Sure I did.

Everyone who battled their way out always likes to boast about their achievement, and I don't blame them, I was at the bottom once too. But there are people who are stuck in perpetual negative lives and it's not their choice.
I also know people who would literally be on the streets if it were not for social handouts and would never ever get the opportunity to live a comfortable life.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

See, here we go with the hyperbolic crap again. :rolleyes:

Never said anyone wasn't human, never called for poor farms, never judged anyone, either. You can feel free to grab the line and run as far out into the ridiculous stratosphere as you want, though.
I said THEY AREN'T MY RESPONSIBILITY WHEN THEY'RE NOT TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEMSELVES. I don't believe it makes any sense whatsoever to have government institutional welfare. Charity isn't charitable when it is forced... If private charities and philanthropists want to throw fistfuls of their own money at people, let them do it! None of my business. By the same token, I work to keep a roof over my family's head, food in their guts, clothes on their backs, and then use whatever is left over to provide a good life for them... as do millions of other Americans. Why should we be forced to shoulder responsibility for adult strangers who aren't shouldering their own?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join