It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A World Without Religion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Imagine, if religion never existed. No relics, no gods, no books of faith, no ideologies for man to pray to or obide by, nothing that resembles religion in anyway.

Where do you think the world would or how would it be without religion? Think very broad about this, go outside the normal parameters and how religion has been a factor, no matter how small it may be, affected our generations before us.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   
still having wars over land , blood fueds of deaths even if the deaths where by accident , so on and so forth . Religion is only one small part of the whole picture. Look at lion, elk and other large wild animals , they fight and kill sometimes over mating rights nothing would be left out of nature in the way of violence

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
As soon as humanity gained the ability to look beyond his own sphere of influence he looked for the reasons behind various happenings.
Thunder, lightning, tornados, crop blight - Early man could not understand the true nature of the world, so looked beyond. The only reason for such things happening had to be that someone was manipulating the events. Early man could not understand the weather systems that brought thunder or the microbes that made his crops die - he needed someone to 'blame', someone he could reason with (using sacrifices) - he needed deities.

I truly cannot envision an early civilisation without its corresponding deities. It is in the nature of humanity to seek for knowledge, but with the absence of this knowledge mankind theorises.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Look at lion, elk and other large wild animals , they fight and kill sometimes over mating rights nothing would be left out of nature in the way of violence

Your right, but thats instinct and survival, no matter what you do you
can't convert any animal to any kind of Religion.
If you see what I mean

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by madhatter

Look at lion, elk and other large wild animals , they fight and kill sometimes over mating rights nothing would be left out of nature in the way of violence

Your right, but thats instinct and survival, no matter what you do you
can't convert any animal to any kind of Religion.
If you see what I mean

Humans are just an advanced form of animal who by all rights would resemble the lower animals, and lost would be the desire to strive to be better as well and animal only knows how to be what it is because it has no purpose to change

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   
The world would be a lot better off there would only be one method of brainwashing and controling the masses mass media.

Jesus would be recognized for his contribution to western civilization. I need to go slightly off topic here I believe jesus lived but he had nothing do with god ,didnt heal people and the circumstances around his death may be quite differnt.
Jesus might have been more then one person no not his followers and his wife Mary
but an organization that was what we would know as a cult today or a form of self governce.

Without religion there would be more tolence and progress in society.
People would examin there own beliefs more and have more confidence in themselvs.
Having said that human nature wouldnt have changed there would still be wars and famine.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
The world would be a lot better off there would only be one method of brainwashing and controling the masses mass media.

Jesus would be recognized for his contribution to western civilization. I need to go slightly off topic here I believe jesus lived but he had nothing do with god ,didnt heal people and the circumstances around his death may be quite differnt.
Jesus might have been more then one person no not his followers and his wife Mary
but an organization that was what we would know as a cult today or a form of self governce.

Without religion there would be more tolence and progress in society.
People would examin there own beliefs more and have more confidence in themselvs.
Having said that human nature wouldnt have changed there would still be wars and famine.

This is something so far reaching I can't comment , other than to say I respect your thoughts and truethfully it is an interesting if not compelling point of view. I can't in good faith agree , but what if the case was that all the great beliefs , both religious and Philisophical, not to mention moral beliefs where just this way. Imagine all the work in building the structure of these beliefs, hardly seems as if we should be as far along as we are in the development of those beliefs , In the relative sceme of things we are still babes in this world and we have come a long way in a short time in this respect.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
think about the bilions of people who wasted their time with praying, when they could have learned something useful or contributed something to science or the society. at least we would have reached mars already.......

[edit on 7-2-2005 by feyd rautha]

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by feyd rautha
think about the bilions of people who wasted their time with praying, when they could have learned something useful or contributed something to science or the society. at least we would have reached mars already.......

This is just way beyond my ability to agree , other to say more time would have been availible , but I much prefer thanking God than making bombs, space ships or whatever else science has to offer, and even though science has good applications like medicine I cant even forsake God for that.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Let's see...

We'd likely be more advanced tech wise, as we wouldn't have had the Church to purposefully keep the masses illiterate and uneducated, such as all throughout the Dark Ages.

We wouldn't have ideological terrorism.

We'd have people trying to please others, instead of trying to appease some great boogieman in the sky.

We'd have no televangelists (almost good enough reason right there).

We'd have less pediphile rapists.

etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong though, as least religion was an early sponsor of art, and without it, we'd have never had some of our greatest masterpieces...Still though, rough trade....

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   

This is something so far reaching I can't comment , other than to say I respect your thoughts and truethfully it is an interesting if not compelling point of view. I can't in good faith agree , but what if the case was that all the great beliefs , both religious and Philisophical, not to mention moral beliefs where just this way. Imagine all the work in building the structure of these beliefs, hardly seems as if we should be as far along as we are in the development of those beliefs , In the relative sceme of things we are still babes in this world and we have come a long way in a short time in this respect.

Thank you for not trashing my beliefs.

Indeed civilization as come a long way from its humble begins. All the beliefs have been spread by people in effect reglion was an early form of advertising. God was in affect the selling point.

What is really interesting is the fact that civilization went backwards during the dark ages I dont want to trash religion but it seems this was in part this was due to people blindly following god.
On the other hand the Greeks and the Romans worshiped and made great advances.
I should make it clear that I am an atheist thus my opinions are biased.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
A world without religion, HEY!!! how about commy russia, that went great... i feel bad for atheists.

[edit on 7-2-2005 by Son of the lost maji]

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Its hard to say whether we would be better or worst in all retrospect. Maybe in some areas we would be more advanced than we are, but at the same time religion also gave is an order of laws, which I dont think we would have back some ages ago. So anarchy would be at its best and worst so to say.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
If it were to happen in the way you described. An omission of Religion.

Here is what I think would've happened. I think that we would've become more loving people because we wouldn't have that barrier separating our ideaological and cultural views. Many people believe that morality is a product of religion, but it is not. Morality is not taught by religion, rather morality is just the framework of cultures. Take for example the Etoro tribe, they're men are homosexuals and homosexuality is encouraged while heterosexuality is merely permitted to reproduce.
Humanity would've been more open and thoughtful because we wouldn't have had that barrier in our framework of cultural views. Although many things such as music wouldn't have progressed as quickly, possibly because we wouldn't have had any reason to ritualize music into our daily lives. As in primative cultures music is ritualized due to religious beliefs for specific purposes and otherwise.
I could write thousands of words trying to analyze the idea, so I will quit here. Great post though.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The my God is the real God argument would disappear.

Labelling others according to their religion would disappear, and so too the adversarial religious wars.

If religion was to be shown as fake in a quick manner rather than introduced over decades, the masses would descend into turmoil, barbarism would result as would an upsurge of suicide more than likely.

Governments would collapse.

Socio-economical systems would collapse.

The wealth of churches and evangelistic leaders would collapse.

People would have to re-evaluate right and wrong based on their own soulful feelings of morality, not by what they are told is moral.

It has to be slowly introduced, so that mankind gets to digest the information in bits and pieces and slowly the masses will reconcile the issue, adjusting the teachings to their offspring.

It will happen, it already has begun, but it won't be witnessed in my generation.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   

If religion was to be shown as fake in a quick manner rather than introduced over decades, the masses would descend into turmoil, barbarism would result as would an upsurge of suicide more than likely.

If there was no religion to begin with then how would people know any differnt?

Governments would collapse.

Socio-economical systems would collapse.

Why would governments collapse?

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Step outside your cultural views to analyze the question. Socio-economics would not collapse, it would just be a different form than the one you are accustomed to. Think outside the box, people!

[edit on 7-2-2005 by The Division Bell]

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
We'd have less pediphile rapists.

Why do you say that, Gaz? Do you think being a priest causes pedophilia?
Or is it pedophiles go into the priesthood as a cover for an already existing problem?

I agree with the rest, I just wondered why you think religion causes pedophilia.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Great topic for discussion, nice to read peoples perspective on the whole thing. My friend and I have arguments about a similar matter regarding the whole work ethic thing. I feel that if currency or trade was never introduced into society, human beings would still work the jobs they work to better themselves or to simply advance the human race. My friend feels that with no monetary gain as such then no-one would bother doing anything, which I feel is pretty pessimistic. What do you guys think?

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Man kind has already attempted this approach. Look at Russia during the communist reign of Lenin and Stalin. Religion was outlawed. Churches burnt down and destroyed. What was the result of this? go to Russia and find out.

Look at these x communist countries now like China and Russia. There is a massive amount of people accepting religion. It is impossible to remove religion from the world. To do this, you would need to remove humans or their ability to reason.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join