It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.8 and lower aftershock quake just hit in Montana

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 02:56 AM
link   
So I noticed the most recent 4.4 and the 4.9 located a bit to the SW of the 5.8 with the rest being to the east... Is this along a known fault line?

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   
One of the local stations has a ribbon saying "Will everyone PLEASE stop calling 911! They know there was a quake, thanks.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Heading back to bed, you all enjoy your evening! Thanks, TA for all the info! On the ball as always!

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Montana

You're welcome.

You'll probably be ok, but you never know. Stay alert, even in your sleep!

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
a reply to: randyvs

Lol, know what you mean. I was asleep when something undefined woke me up. I hopped on ATS and the first thing I saw was this thread at the top of the recent page.

Can't get back to sleep now...

Has anything else happened? I know it's only been like an hour.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Montana

I'm in california and you stole our quake!

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Not really, other than a couple of very smaller aftershocks. Those probably are not in the "felt" range, being very small. But I can still see them, and it shows me that the fault is still a bit active. It is not in the realm of impossibility that a larger one could occur, but the chances of that are very small. So far this appears to be a typical mainshock-aftershock sequence, with no threat of a larger one. The difference between mainshock and smaller, next biggest shock is acceptable, although right on the line. If another 5+ occurs, then we can talk about it at that point.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

I guess I go back to bed AGAIN! Just remember we're all
counting on you.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   
wow talk about shallow too. 4.3km deep, is that confirmed??

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 04:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thunder71
wow talk about shallow too. 4.3km deep, is that confirmed??

Depth revised to 13.6 km:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

But that's still shallow enough to give everyone in the whole area a pretty good shaking and wake up call. And wake some people up it sure did.

Update:
One more smaller aftershock came in, pretty small. Things seem to be settling back down.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Sure...just when I go to bed early & sleep well for a change! 😡 I'll probably be late for my own funeral!

Saw the one in the Philippines first.
Then started scrolling & saw this swarm, wondering what the biggest one was?
Whoa, my eyeballs bugged out!

That first split second, while you're scrolling and see a flash of red, & hold your breath until you can focus & read it!

An hour 'til my alarm goes off. And it will probably take me 45 minutes to fall back asleep!

Glad TA is 'Keeper of the Night'! I feel a lot better knowing he keeps an eye on things!

Thanks TA! 👍
WOQ

edit on 6-7-2017 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Holy crap! this looks big and bad.

I'm showing all red on spectro.

Time to BugOut... it could trigger a deep freeze ,head south to Mexico now...

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I check the Internet for news when I get up each morning. EMSC-CSEM is one of them. When I saw the map I nearly crapped myself because it looked either like it was in Yellowstone or very close to it.

I hope you're right, TA, that this is not a foreshock. A 5.8 is a decent size quake....hopefully things will calm down and not pick up again. According to that website, the last one hit nearly 3 1/2 hours ago.

Here's a link in case anyone wants to check it out:

European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Normally, I'm not going to start screaming about it being a potential foreshock until we're up in the 6+ range, and there's more than one 6+. That's when I get real nervous.

But that said, the current situation is we have a 5.8, and the next biggest, 4.9. Now that's only a .9 magnitude difference. So technically it does fall below the 1.0 or 1.5 usual magnitude difference we like to have to pretty much announce the all clear. What I am saying is, because of that, I think it would be premature to announce an "all clear" until some considerable time has passed. Like the next week ahead, starting now, at the very least. This may not be over because of that .9 difference, and so I don't want to give anyone too much comfort quite yet.

It is probably over (as far as more big ones), but it might not be. Just keep that in mind folks.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Just checked that website again. So far, so good.

Many thanks for staying on top of things!

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
Be safe peeps.

It's just rain.

not even that hard yet. sounds nice actually.

Oh you mean whatever it is somewhere that I can't discern?

Common, info info info for those of us not able to be there or winnow the chaff from convoluted websites.

ya, I'm lazy.. but I do care, honest.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Just marking the thread. Most people I know felt that quake. I slept through it however. Kind of bummed. Thank you for your efforts once again TrueAmerican.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Any clue as to what this may mean in the near future? any speculation might be ok

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Aww darn. Looks like another about 4.0 or so is hitting now. Like I said folks, hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Is it a possibility that this may be Yellowstone waking up or are these quakes normal for that area given how geologically active Yellowstone is?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join