It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if ME was a conspiracy to rewrite history?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Ok. So I sit on the fence when it comes to the Mandela Effect. In most cases I believe it is a case of false memory rather than time travel/alternate timelines. (except in the case of Dolly - I swear she had braces) This is still a half-formed idea so bare with me...

What if the ME was a real occurrence, a conspiracy to rewrite history?

We are so connected via the internet these days. We can search and instantly find any information we want, whether we're out walking on the street, in the office or in the comfort of our own bathrooms. Repeated exposure to advertisements can change people's buying habits to switch brands or buy a new product. Similarly, with enough exposure, propaghanda can sway opinion and influence people to vote for a particular candidate or support a particular military operation. I'm a non-smoker, never even tried to smoke but watching MadMen made me almost want to start.

So that being said, logically, if you changed little bits of the narrative over time eventually the whole story would completely change. For whatever reason a gov't or TPTB could change historic articles about the Holocaust for instance and paint Hitler as a great man. We would notice the change but our children and children's children would not as they weren't alive during and in the following decades to remember people talking about it and might only learn about it at school. With schools being so Hell-bent on teaching social justice and emotional intelligence over critical thinking this could cause many to just accept the prescribed narrative.

We are already seeing history being rewritten; there have been statues of Confederate generals being removed from public buildings and calls for streets that have been named after Confederates to be renamed. If memory serves me correct there was a famous American inventor who had his statue removed because he was a slave owner - as many people were at the time. This has been met with fierce opposition and social discord.

Thus if TPTB could change the details of history on the internet then it would limit this discord. This would be further bolstered by the fierce debate surrounding ME where people are openly ridiculed for suggesting that a change has taken place.

“Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Like I said this is still a half-formed idea. What do you think ATS?

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The past is being rewritten by a schizophrenic with 7 Billion personalities.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

Already suggested this in a 1984 thread a while back but got no response.

Not many people read books these days and once they've all gone and we rely on the net (and the state) they could change anything.

Once you can no longer rely on your memory, people will stop trying to remember.

edit on 5-7-2017 by Tulpa because: The voices made me do it

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

More like 7 Billion dollars.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Changing history: One letter at a time!

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi

Please explain.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Youd think if they were trying to re-write history, they'd make it so the internet didn't exist. Because as you say, we can all check things. So why would they allow it to be discovered.

Or why is the internet immune? Does it exist outside of our dimension, or connect them? If we can somehow invent a device that can turn us into digital energy and enter TRON city we might be able to stop their evil incursion into our dimension, with photon motorbikes and floating tanks. And a really saucy program as long as we promise to show her the sun.

I've experienced the "I was sure today was tureday" effect before. Wake up on a tuesday... only the night to realise it is wednesday... Spooky things are afoot ! Or was it at hand?

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

That's my oversimplified version.

Obviously, something on this scale would take a long long time to achieve the desired effect.
We could be seeing the seeds being planted for the future.
Our great grandchildren could be the ones who this is designed for, if indeed it is a serious thing.
It could all just be a big misunderstanding that's become a bit of a joke....but...

What better way to implement a long term plan than to have the first ones to notice regard it as something trivial.
Making it seem silly also shuts down serious discussion making it easier for the ones who are doing it.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

Already suggested this in a 1984 thread a while back but got no response.

Not many people read books these days and once they've all gone and we rely on the net (and the state) they could change anything.

Once you can no longer rely on your memory, people will stop trying to remember.

That fear isn't a modern invention. Far from it.

originally posted by: Socrates

[The written word] will create forgetfulness in the learners’ souls, because they will not use their memories; they will trust to the external written characters and not remember of themselves. The specific which you have discovered is an aid not to memory, but to reminiscence, and you give your disciples not truth, but only the semblance of truth; they will be hearers of many things and will have learned nothing; they will appear to be omniscient and will generally know nothing; they will be tiresome company, having the show of wisdom without the reality.

Well, that's what Plato says Socrates would have said. However, we shall never know, because Socrates never wrote anything down. So, Socrates pretty much self-pwned on that argument.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Its much easier to change digital information a little bit at a time, rather than print.

There's so much of it and AI could do it, if they wanted it. No one would notice until the changes got too big but by then it could be too late.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
Changing history: One letter at a time!

Not so.

I have just changed history with many letters. You see, first I wasn't going to reply to your post. But then I DID ! I changed the timeline. In one, this post was never created and you didn't read it, nor did anyone else. This allows the previous timeline to continue as it was. In this timeline however, people will read this and shake their head. Slightly causing damage to their brains, and creating new and unexpected results. The extra breath they take while shaking their heads, removes one more breath from a future generation. I've denied millions of as yet unknown life forms their very existence.

I AM AS A GOD !

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon
I must read 1984 again sometime but if I recall correctly (no joke intended) didn't most of the population accept the BIG BROTHER without question and not even try to remember?

edit on 5-7-2017 by Tulpa because: See I just did it there

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Maybe it's a little bit of this and some of that. I don't suppose that the expectation of Dolly wearing braces because Jaws had the full metal jacket in his gub for instance could play a part...could it? and of course, Jaws was wearing er, braces.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Perhaps it is a conspiracy to sell more fencing, for all of us skeptics to sit on?

Funny as that is on the first level: on a deeper level: one could say that it's a conspiracy to make us all unsure, of what we really know for sure.
We find an outlet, in basking in the bliss of ignorance, and making the best of life and it's ever-growing unknowns.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I think the main antidote to worrying about history being digitally-rewritten is that the internet is the exact opposite of centralised.

Anyone (or any corporate body or government) that wanted to forge the historical past would have to be almost omniscient and omnipresent to track down, gain control over, and then meticulously 'doctor' everything - not just the work of historians, but the sources that the historians used - in order for it all to fit with their enormous hoax.

This is why regimes like China and North Korea tackle the problem at its root by simply blocking huge chunks of the internet regardless of content.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

If you could undermine someone's belief in their own memory and thus their own self belief, you can take a lot away from them.

Have you ever seen a stroke victim and the damage that can happen to someone just through a slight loss of memory? It is a terrible, pitiful thing.

If the ME was real it would be a great control device.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

That's why I said it would be such a long term plan.
Governments are already trying to censor the net.
If they chose to become tyrannical. They could, indeed, slowly centralise it as they take away peoples power to change it.

If it was a "read only" service, just image the control they could achieve.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: Kalixi

Please explain.

It was a dig at Soros and the wealthy PTB haha

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa
I must read 1984 again sometime but if I recall correctly (no joke intended) didn't most of the population accept the BIG BROTHER without question and not even try to remember?

Yeah, but Orwell was a sick and gloomy man, dying of tuberculosis on a remote Scottish island, typing page after page while sitting up in bed.

He had abdicated from the genteel middle/upper class in order to try to embrace the working classes, due to his political beliefs. Then he found that he didn't fit in with the working class either.

He was in despair at his own life, and turned it into despair at humanity in general. It's a work of fiction, a satire even.

(Orwell's a bit of a passion of mine, although I am no scholar).

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Youd think if they were trying to re-write history, they'd make it so the internet didn't exist. Because as you say, we can all check things. So why would they allow it to be discovered.

I think the internet was invented and came into existence well before this possible plan was hatched. The internet sparked globalisation, they wouldn't prevent/destroy that

Information is power and discerning fact from fiction has been a major theme for the West in the last year, (with fake news etc) and this is all about the control and manipulation of information

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join