It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As many as 40 trapped at Cummins Falls State Park

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

JACKSON COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) –As many as 40 people are trapped at Cummins Falls State Park due to swift water after a wave of storms moved through the area. Several agencies began assisting with the rescue around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. Jackson County 911 Director Michael Smith said a total of 27 people are trapped underneath the falls, three are on an island surrounded by the high water and 10 others are downstream. No injuries were immediately reported.

Prayers for all!

It seems one guy went under the water but someone saved him. He was treated at the scene and released. No names have been released and the rescue is still underway.

Source will update as they know more.

It seems
edit on Wed Jul 5 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: New (old) Standards Are Being Enforced (again) For New Threads

edit on 2954Wednesday201713 by silo13 because: wasn't finished

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
40 people were trapped by rain?

And they can't just wait until the water level drops?

I'm missing something.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
40 people were trapped by rain?

And they can't just wait until the water level drops?

I'm missing something.

Sudden storm, lots of rain, hike in only what part is confusing?

Cummins Falls might be a fairly new state park, created only in 2011, but it was already well known for a scenic hike and a place to swim. The main trail leads from an overlook of the 75 foot falls, down to the stream bed, then upstream to the base of this beautiful waterfall, and one of the best swimming holes in the country. The trail is much quieter in the cooler months, but retains its beauty.

rootsrated.com...

Hope they get everyone out safe. The pop-up storms have been torrential this year!

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Hmm let's go hiking while a wave of storms are about to hit the area. Seems like a swell idea.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

It looks like a beautiful place!!
hope all are safe and the water level falls quickly.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

73 year old woman still missing...everyone one else was rescued...could have been a lot worse

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

Oh how sad.

I hope she makes it.
Let us know if you hear anything.
Thanks for the update!

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: silo13
Woke up looking for updates.
Hoping for a positive outcome for the woman still missing.
I assume searching has already or will resume shortly.
Just wanted to note, the water is said to have risen 3 feet in a matter of minutes.
Folks had crossed to the other side of the gorge as well as many downstream and on the island.

Hinson said more than two dozen people were trapped on the side of a gorge, including some an island in the middle of the creek. Others were also trapped downstream from the falls.

The park has been cautioning and closing portions of the park for a week due to the pop up showers etc. The humidity has been rather intense and the thunderstorms are unpredictable.
It is a watershed so, it actually could have stormed many miles away and the folks at the park had no warning of the rising and rushing river headed toward them.
Freak accident.
www.stateparks.com...
Thanks Silo and I will be checking back for updates and of course, if any new information is released.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Situation may have turned to a recovery effort as opposed to a rescue. I can't find any other confirmation of this other than the link which was updated about 3 am.

Rescue crews are considering the search for the final victim a recovery effort. Her identity has not been released at this time.

wkrn.com...
Not giving up hope for her though. it isn't an easy hike or difficult really but at her age to have gone down into the gorge gives me hope she is tough and has held on through the night.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

In search for missing woman, remains of another person found at Cummins Falls
a reply to: TNMockingbird

ACKSON COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – During the search for an elderly woman who went missing at Cummins Falls, search crews found the remains of someone else. The discovery was made Thursday afternoon as rescue crews scoured the area surrounding the waterfall.

How very sad. I was in hopes for a better report.

Officials vowed to continue their search for the missing 73-year-old woman who was among the 40 people who became trapped at the area near the waterfall on Wednesday. Her identity has not been released. Anywhere from 40 to 50 personnel were on site Thursday with three kayaks in the water, along with two drones in and a Tennessee Highway Patrol helicopter the air above as the search for the elderly woman continues.

They're going to keep the updates coming so I sure hope there's some good news soon.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

JACKSON COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) –As many as 40 people are trapped at Cummins Falls State Park due to swift water after a wave of storms moved through the area. Several agencies began assisting with the rescue around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. Jackson County 911 Director Michael Smith said a total of 27 people are trapped underneath the falls, three are on an island surrounded by the high water and 10 others are downstream. No injuries were immediately reported.

Prayers for all!

It seems one guy went under the water but someone saved him. He was treated at the scene and released. No names have been released and the rescue is still underway.

Source will update as they know more.

It seems
edit on Wed Jul 5 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: New (old) Standards Are Being Enforced (again) For New Threads

We have definitely have had some crappy weather. This is the first i have heard of it. The falls are about 20 minutes from where I live.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Discovery at Cummins Falls ends search for missing woman

JACKSON COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – The body of a woman, missing since Wednesday, was recovered Friday night near Cummins Falls in Jackson County. The Tennessee Highway Patrol has identified her as 73-year old Peggy McDaniel. The grandmother was with her son’s family and more than 30 other people, when they got trapped by surging flood water at the state park. She was the only one who did not make it out alive.

How horribly sad for all involved.

RIP ~ Prayers

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
A sad update. I was talking to a woman I work with about the flood last night only to find out more sad news. A 45 year old mother volunteer aide in the search and rescue was found dead. May she and the grandmother rest in peace.

Link to article

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I never have met the two. Dut damn this is really making me sad.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Tundra

It is sad. You go off on an adventure with your Grandma and the Grandkids are all happy happy family day and them WHOOSH - tragedy steps in.

Makes ya wonder sometimes doesn't it.

At least the found her (them?) so the families have peace though.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
Hmm let's go hiking while a wave of storms are about to hit the area. Seems like a swell idea.

Is there an option to down rate comments like this? Dude you obviously dont understand. Let's get into a car and go driving! Seems like a swell idea right?
edit on 7/10/2017 by Tundra because: Don't make me be an a**hole

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
a reply to: Tundra

It is sad. You go off on an adventure with your Grandma and the Grandkids are all happy happy family day and them WHOOSH - tragedy steps in.

Makes ya wonder sometimes doesn't it.

At least the found her (them?) so the families have peace though.

For sure. I wake up everyday and always in the back of my head is "anything can happen at anytime ." Good or bad. Ya never know.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Another flash flood tragedy.
www.azcentral.com...

Water Wheel Fire and Medical District Fire Chief Ron Sattelmaier said more than a hundred people were in the Cold Springs swimming hole Saturday afternoon when a severe thunderstorm pounded down on a nearby remote area that had been burned over by the Highline Fire earlier this summer. It was not even raining where the people were swept away. The thunderstorm hit about eight miles upstream along Ellison Creek, which quickly flooded the narrow canyon where the swimmers were enjoying a cool dip on a hot summer day. "They had no warning. They heard a roar and it was on top of them," Sattelmaier said

Just so sad, an entire family swept away.
No warning, no chance.

This may be a foolish idea as I heard the weather channel folks discussing this this morning but, as here in my area we have fire towers. I wonder if some sort of tower could be set up in locations like this prone to flash flooding and some sort of alarm/alert system be of use. The weather channel folks stated that there were warnings for flash flooding locally but, there is little or sporadic cell service so the folks swimming likely wouldn't have received any message.

Just thinking out loud.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I just read about this on Newser. How horribly sad.

I like your thinking out loud - would be interesting to see how it would work in a live situation.

peace

top topics

join