It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amelia Earhart Survived Plane Crash, History Channel Documentary Claims

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Do you think this is Amelia?

The formerly top secret pic released in 2012 show a man and women who were captured by the Japanese and died in custody as POW's. The pic also shows what is thought to be her plane too (in the extreme background). It is thought they were blown off course and then were captured.

variety.com...
Former U.S. Treasury Agent Les Kinney discovered the photo in National Archives records in 2012, which is revealed in investigative documentary “Amelia Earhart: The Lost Evidence,” airing Sunday, July 9 at 9 p.m. on History.

The photo, which Kinney believes must have been taken before 1943, shows a ship towing a barge with an airplane on the back with several people on a nearby dock. Two independent analyses by Doug Carner and Kent Gibson said the photo appears to be legitimate, according to People. Carner determined it had not been altered, and Gibson, who specializes in facial recognition, said it’s likely the individuals are Earhart and Noonan. They both recognized the ship in the photo as Koshu Maru, a Japanese military vessel said to have captured the duo after their crash.

edit on 5-7-2017 by seasonal because: spelling

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
If I know the back of her head like I think I do, then yes 100% probably.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Who knows if that is her, there really isn't much to go on. I'm not big on Amelia Earhart's disappearance but it is interesting nonetheless. Like many missing persons cases, one would have to be with the person who disappeared at the moment of disappearance to 100% know what happened.
edit on 5-7-2017 by DarkestConspiracyMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Seems like for US to have a photo of it that means "they'd" have known, which means they would have used it as war propaganda to further rally people to the war.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarkestConspiracyMoon
Who knows if that is her, there really isn't much to go on.

No kidding. I don't think there's a "back of the head" recognition program out there.

Also, for a couple of people who are "prisoners," I don't see them being in the custody of any armed military people. I guess they didn't expect them to run away.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Seems like for US to have a photo of it that means "they'd" have known, which means they would have used it as war propaganda to further rally people to the war.

If they had this ambiguous photo of what may or may not be Amelia Earhart, then they would probably be in the same boat we are now looking at this photo...and that is "it tells us nothing conclusive".

I'm not sure how the U.S. Government being in possession of this photo back then would have made them any more sure that she was still alive.

edit on 2017/7/5 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
If I know the back of her head like I think I do, then yes 100% probably.

This person (woman?) appears to be wearing some kind of sleeveless shirt, as well as possibly suspenders. It might be nice to know if Earhart had those items of clothing with her on her trip.

There also appears to be a little gray in this person's dark hair. And Earhart was fairly blonde. So...
edit on 5-7-2017 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
A facial recognition expert could determine if it was Amelia Earhardt by the ear, the width of the shoulders, the haircut, the clothing and any number of different elements in that photograph. I also find her stance quite interesting, as her only concern seems to be the plane being towed behind the ship. There were so many photographs taken of Amelia Earhardt at that time, as she was one of the most famous people on earth, I think there is an excellent chance that this theory is correct.

The airplane itself will have very specific identifying features.
edit on 5-7-2017 by antoinemarionette because: added sentence

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Blond?

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: antoinemarionette

Is her navigator supposed to be standing behind her on the left?

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Eh. Here's a quick comparison. Maybe somebody can find some shots of Earhart from a better angle. But to me, it's not much of a match, particularly around the cheek and jawline. Also, the ear seems lower in the new photo.

Reddish blonde.

edit on 5-7-2017 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Do you think this is Amelia?

The formerly top secret pic released in 2012 show a man and women who were captured by the Japanese and died in custody as POW's. The pic also shows what is thought to be her plane too (in the extreme background). It is thought they were blown off course and then were captured.

variety.com...
Former U.S. Treasury Agent Les Kinney discovered the photo in National Archives records in 2012, which is revealed in investigative documentary “Amelia Earhart: The Lost Evidence,” airing Sunday, July 9 at 9 p.m. on History.

The photo, which Kinney believes must have been taken before 1943, shows a ship towing a barge with an airplane on the back with several people on a nearby dock. Two independent analyses by Doug Carner and Kent Gibson said the photo appears to be legitimate, according to People. Carner determined it had not been altered, and Gibson, who specializes in facial recognition, said it’s likely the individuals are Earhart and Noonan. They both recognized the ship in the photo as Koshu Maru, a Japanese military vessel said to have captured the duo after their crash.

I was just reading this story. Completely fascinated here. If the picture was indeed accidentally filed and this guy found it, I wonder if the government would possibly make a statement as to the validity of the claim of her being a spy.

What an interesting turn in the story. I have always been fascinated by this and the DB Cooper story.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Fred Noonan is supposed to be the guy on the far left.

It actually appears to look a lot like him, especially from the "ear portrusion" he had, for lack of a better term.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Going by measurements I believe they determined that the person sitting on the dock is about 5'8". Amelias height and unusual for a woman of her generation.
Now it could also be a young man because the shoulders are narrow like a boys but again the height suggests someone about 5'8".
That person appears to be looking at the plane on the barge.
It suggests a story if nothing else.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Wouldn't it be easier to identify the plane than the pilot?

If the plane matches the one flown by Earhart at that time and in that place; what is the likelihood that the plane is NOT Earhart's plane?

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

It actually appears to look a lot like him, especially from the "ear portrusion" he had, for lack of a better term.

How tall was Noonan? The guy on the left does appear taller than the others in the photo. This is an interesting photo. Certainly circumstantial...yet they don't appear to be POW in this picture.

Does anyone have any detail on when this pic was acquired? It certainly makes more sense that they may have been recovered...then detained when war broke out.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts
Looks like 5' 11"

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

a reply to: CynConcepts
Looks like 5' 11"

Nevermind. Can someone tell me why when you zoom in on Noonan...the pier post is cut off and hovering over part of his face? What is up with that? I am starting to doubt this pic as accurate...now.

Edit add: I mean seriously? Kicking myself in the butt now! Only the top of post is there? This has been messed with at some point.
edit on 7 5 2017 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

link   

But her hair photographed dark. In black and white photos she appears darker than in color photos. I know because I forget she's strawberry until I see a rare color photo and I'm reminded oh yeah she's a blonde.

link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

How tall was Noonan? The guy on the left does appear taller than the others in the photo. This is an interesting photo. Certainly circumstantial...yet they don't appear to be POW in this picture.

Does anyone have any detail on when this pic was acquired? It certainly makes more sense that they may have been recovered...then detained when war broke out.

He was just over 6 feet tall.

I agree that they don't appear to be POW's in the pic.

The story is that they were brought to Saipan after being found, so this could be the dock in Saipan right when they arrived?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join