It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professor teaches students about ‘the problem that is whiteness"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland
SMH

People FREAKING out...

IDEA

...learn to deal with your white fragility instead of projecting your FEAR as HATE.

Members of a minority are by definition in a fragile position and fear for the future is necessary survival strategy. This should not be mistaken for cowardice.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Because all people with skin lighter than a paper bag are the same.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Looks like a class to get people to consider things from a racial perspective other than their own. What's the problem? People could use more perspective. Especially in regards to races other than their own.

The problem is that we're still talking about race like its the 60's.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Looks like a class to get people to consider things from a racial perspective other than their own. What's the problem? People could use more perspective. Especially in regards to races other than their own.

Timing is everything.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

Are you SUGGESTING that currently "white people" are a minority?

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

Probably because the problem hasn't gone away. This isn't a video game where you beat the final boss and never have to worry about it again you know? It's an ongoing issue that has spanned centuries. To expect it to be fixed in the few short years of the 60's and 70's is ridiculously stupid and naive.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Are you SUGGESTING that currently "white people" are a minority?

A quick look at global demographics will show that the facts speak for themselves, and it is not necessary for me to suggest anything.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

In AMERICA?

Maybe in 20 years.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Start interbreeding you racist racists.
edit on 5-7-2017 by Lysergic because: my cups of aids blood runneth over.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The US Gov. still PAYS one Civil War pension...

To THIS DAY.

Slavery isn't even THAT far behind us.

We've made incredible strides forward in 3,4 generations. But LOOK at it from that perspective.

link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

Probably because the problem hasn't gone away. This isn't a video game where you beat the final boss and never have to worry about it again you know? It's an ongoing issue that has spanned centuries. To expect it to be fixed in the few short years of the 60's and 70's is ridiculously stupid and naive.

What problem am I missing? Segregation? Seems like the black community wishes a return to those days. Are we still using separate bathrooms? Is anyone sitting in the back of the bus? Has anyone been denied the ability to attend Harvard based on their skin color? Are people being lynched for talking to white women?

edit on 5-7-2017 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

link   

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Serious explorations into race should focus on the problem of whiteness and be grounded in the claim that it’s a hegemonic “power apparatus,”

I guess I must have forgotten to pick up my white privilege card at the dmv...

Here, let's try something...

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Serious explorations into race should focus on the problem of blackness and be grounded in the claim that it’s a hegemonic “power apparatus,”

Hey look, a racist!
What nonsense.

Higher education is broken. Come to think of it, so is lower education...

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

In AMERICA?

Maybe in 20 years.

Perhaps. The current situation in US does not represent a global microcosm.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Just what college did you go to with that idea. Every, and I mean every, student I've ever interacted with (and I've met hundreds in my job) goes only to those lectures that they NEED to go to for their degree.
All the other times they are either in the students bar (very cheap beer) or out partying. They don't go to any lectures that the don't need to go to.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Would you TRADE your skin color then, since it apparently doesn't matter.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Where do I sign up for the "problem that is blackness" course?

Looks like that is the real difficult conversation that is needed in the US today.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

a reply to: Wardaddy454

Would you TRADE your skin color then, since it apparently doesn't matter.

Why not? Most of the issues you think exist can be attributed to culture and a very small percentage of the LEO community.

Otherwise, I doubt people like Ben Carson or Chris Gardner would have made it out of the ghetto.

edit on 5-7-2017 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

As long as these type classes are not mandatory, I dont have a problem with it. It would be entirely inappropriate if it were mandantory because...........its a gigantic waste of precious time and money, considering the enormous cost of college education today. Today, in particular, the single biggest reason to go to college is to be able to get high paying jobs. Mandating courses like this would be ridiculous.

These type classes grate on people for a simple reason. They attempt to make black peoples problems white peoples problems. I would have to think most white students are in college to get a profitable degree. Black peoples problems arent their problems and they could probably care less. Fact of the matter is that the only reason to live in the US is to make buckets of bucks so you can retire somewhere nice. The biggest problem Colleges face today is that they arent teaching the skills needed by employers. Undless you want to be a College professor of Critical race theory, there's no reason to take these type courses.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

It's time we talk about the problem of SJW persecution of whites and others whom dont think like them is going to create the oppression farce they keep bitching about. Enough with the self-fulfilling prophecy agenda BS.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
There's a saying.

Walk a mile in my shoes. Only then can you judge.

Its very different if your forced to and walk around in circles.

This illusion that race is treated differently. I don't see it. Never had. The only people I see standing in the way of these people are themselves.

I will not walk a mile in anyone's shoes. I have plenty walking to do myself, thank your very much.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join