It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professor teaches students about ‘the problem that is whiteness"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Professor of philosophy who taught courses like "black lives matter" and “Critical Race Theory” feels it is time for radial change.

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Serious explorations into race should focus on the problem of whiteness and be grounded in the claim that it’s a hegemonic “power apparatus,” a Fairfield University professor suggested at a recent conference aimed at pushing “radical social change” in higher education.
The remarks from associate professor of philosophy Dr. Kris Sealey, who spoke about her strategies for discussing race in the classroom, were presented at a diversity conference for employees of Jesuit colleges.

“So more and more, the courses that I teach on race have become courses in which I expect my students to engage in the hegemonic power of whiteness,” said Sealey, who’s taught courses such as “Black Lives Matter” and “Critical Race Theory.”
www.thecollegefix.com...

Being a "scholar of color", Professor Sealey says in a predominately white institution her courses requires difficult conversations to "force" students to reevaluate how they understand themselves.
Wonder how much per credit hour it costs to reevaluate yourself?

Sealey, a scholar of color, said her approach toward teaching race has much to do with teaching at Fairfield University, a predominately white institution, and requires difficult conversations that force students to reevaluate how they understand themselves.

“Hence, part of what makes pedagogies of racial justice particularly difficult are the stakes that they invariably include for all parties involved,” she said.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Looks like a class to get people to consider things from a racial perspective other than their own. What's the problem? People could use more perspective. Especially in regards to races other than their own.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Hell will freeze over before for I say I'm ashamed to be white. Where's the course devoted to Blackness, or redness, or yellowness....It's just a bunch of Bullshot.
edit on 5-7-2017 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Probably a Lisa Durden sympathizer/apologist who also believes "Racism doesn't exist when it's against white people" smh

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
Hell will freeze over before for I say I'm ashamed to be white. Where's the course devoted to Blackness, or redness, or yellowness....It's just a bunch of Bullshot.

That isn't the purpose of the class:

Sealey said it’s helpful for her students to see that their time in the classroom isn’t about existential conversion or evaluation of one’s character, but rather “the goal is to understand the role of the white gaze in the confiscation of the black body.”

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
It sounds like to be successful in the class, you have to adopt the instructors beliefs. That's not learning, or the exchange of ideas; it sounds like indoctrination.
edit on 5-7-2017 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Looks like a class to get people to consider things from a racial perspective other than their own. What's the problem? People could use more perspective. Especially in regards to races other than their own.

Only when you are white though, thats exactly the problem.

Would you not agree it would be racist if she was suggesting the opposite? Of course you would.
edit on 5-7-2017 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

link   
The mentality of a victim is a pathetic way to live.

link   
I'm not in the class my man, I'm on ATS reading a thread about a professor telling white people what's the matter with being white....again...a bunch of bullshot .And people actually PAY for this higher education......lol.a reply to: Krazysh0t

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I imagine if it's that big of a problem to someone then they simply won't elect to enroll in that class. I will say It sounds like a very thought provoking class to begin with. No harm in trying to see or understand things from others shoes. What is life good for if not for the constant pursuit of knowledge?

-Alee

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Elton

It's philosophy. There isn't really any beliefs or set in stone curriculum.
She can sit there and ask the question. Is there such thing as a white race?
And get thousands of answers.
Classes like this are meant to force people to critically think about the real world.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I think people think courses like this are 'wrong' because its inflammatory, the old 'well if x said y it would be z' thing.

To say there is a problem with blackness is seen as terrible, and rightly so. It emboldens those who wish to hate on black people regardless of facts. I assume its the same the other way round from some peoples viewpoint.

* Just seen this is the mudpit. I will just leave quietly.*
edit on 5/7/2017 by Learningman because: own idiocy

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I don't know what all the fuss is, I am not white, I am kind of a light tan color but considered white. I don't know how our society ever got so messed up on the race thing in the first place.

I have nothing against people of other races, some of them smell weird though, but that is because of the foods they eat. Mediteranian people smell different, some blacks smell different, the ones from down south eat a lot of spicy foods.

I suppose I smell weird to some of these people too, I probably smell like pasties.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

It's philosophy. There isn't really any beliefs or set in stone curriculum.
She can sit there and ask the question. Is there such thing as a white race?
And get thousands of answers.
Classes like this are meant to force people to critically think about the real world.

Fair enough. I suppose am just tired of hearing how bad white people are.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Let's start courses on the problem that is blackness and get them to see the world from the white perspective. Good, right?

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The idea that because you were born with negative qualities and inflict them on others, is utterly ridiculous.

How someone can see this as anything other than pure racism, is a very sad but true insight into what is our modern day reality. Never blame anyone but yourself. Point the blame at everyone else.

Sad.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

The class is offered in a predominantly white university. Also. Don't put words in my mouth. Until you can dig up a like-for-like situation of the opposite occurring and witnessing what I'd say to such a thing you don't know how I'd react.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

As am I.

However, this nothing other than racism. Pure and simple.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Let's start courses on the problem that is blackness and get them to see the world from the white perspective. Good, right?

That isn't what this course is doing. This course is trying to show white kids the struggles of being viewed as a black person in our white dominated society. It isn't trying to make you feel bad about who you are, only give you perspective and show that things aren't as simple as we'd like to believe they are.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Is this instructor American or has he immigrated to the states. Just asking because most of the time their home countries contribute money to the University to spread and teach their Idea's. Which can be biased.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join