It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks: CNN extorts/blackmails amateur satirist who made video tweeted by Trump.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

CNN is NOT an American institution.

It's a privately owned news organization, used for spreading propaganda serving those who own it.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Battle for Helms Deep...r/The_Donald/

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Kantzveldt

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: UKTruth

Yes, absolutely, CNN should go ahead and publish full details. Why not? It was all in good fun. What could possibly happen? He may even be feted as a hero.

Careful what you wish for, the possibilities of that kind of thinking range from meh to WTF happened to my life.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Someone should change the text to it's retarded

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

a reply to: Sublimecraft

If I were you, I'd verify those advertisers via another site before passing them off as gospel.

Just sayin'

Done - before I posted the trigger-list.

They all support CNN financially as their advertisers.

Cool beans then, you just never know with those "merry pranksters" over on 4Chan. They like to burn everyone, whether they have an "R" or a "D" next to their name.

Obviously in a situation like this, information is going to be flowing fast and free, but got to admit its 4chan's equal opportunity forum at least balances out somewhat and shows the hypocrisy of the agenda warriors on both sides.

On a conspiracy site where routinely there are multiple theories thrown around to hash out the one true way something occured, pretty sure everybody takes the information here with a varying grain of of salt.

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   

I do not understand why are you defending organization which clearly betrayed your own principles not once but constantly.

You are talking about profit as main purpose of "infotainment" agencies and watch dog function of the press as to be a second hand. Well ... you just admitted CNN are clowns by purpose and reason as any other TV "star". Should we talk about fake news? No, because there are no news. There are only fakes erected by profit seekers. You are juggling in aether: Is CNN news organization, or is it PR spearhead combined with AD revenue?

link   
Literally not satire anymore.

link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Hahahaha
This is too funny!!

Hundreds of gifs get made and posted daily. This guy just posted a gif just like many of us do daily and never expected the President to tweet it. He didn't ask for this, and if it happened to him it could happen to anyone of us. It really never mattered who made it in the first place. But to expose this guys name, possibly threatening his job and reputation (because of hateful posts in the pasts) is outrageous and so idiotic.

Who's in charge of policing the Media? If they commited a criminal act and it looks like they did, which jurisdiction will bring charges. FBI?

BTW, the gif maker guy is probably getting paid even more hush money right now.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014

CNN is NOT an American institution.

It's a privately owned news organization, used for spreading propaganda serving those who own it.

From European point of view it is definition of US as whole.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: JanAmosComenius

I do not understand why are you defending organization which clearly betrayed your own principles not once but constantly.

You are talking about profit as main purpose of "infotainment" agencies and watch dog function of the press as to be a second hand. Well ... you just admitted CNN are clowns by purpose and reason as any other TV "star". Should we talk about fake news? No, because there are no news. There are only fakes erected by profit seekers. You are juggling in aether: Is CNN news organization, or is it PR spearhead combined with AD revenue?

It's not really hard to understand - CNN are an attack dog against Trump, so anti-Trumpers will defend them. Principles go out the window.

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I've been reading comments about how CNN better "watch out" otherwise they'll be doxxed...

Well, the thing is, you can't really "doxx" a news outlet. The journalists put their names next to the headlines. I suppose annons could put out their phone numbers and home addresses, but that isn't hard to find if you know their name already.

The reason I suspect CNN is showing "restraint" (feigned or real) is due the kid's age. Knowing the person is 15 now makes a lot more things click.

Have you folks seen the "apology"?

At first the apology seemed so stiff, forced for an adult leading me to think that CNN had some kind scary lawyer contacting the guy -- but the dude's 15, his parents are probably making him apologize after learning it was their son who had all the racist/bigoted/anti-Semitic posts tied to that reddit account. I know at 15 my parents would have been pissed at me...

CNN could have done things a few different ways here.

1. They release the kids name, which IMO would have been the worst thing for CNN, you and me.

2. Not release the kids name, say nothing. The problem with that is it doesn't prevent another journalist with another outlet from releasing the kids name.

They took option #3:

There really isn't an good way to say "we know who made the .gif and we're not saying who it is -- and neither should you." By saying, "We know who the individual is, and we're not saying who it is out of respect for the privacy" -- they're essentially putting other journalists on notice that they shouldn't release the person's name either.

It isn't what I would have advised CNN to do, knowing how the people of the internet would take it.

Let me again repeat that statement: It isn't what I would have advised CNN to do.

Look, the kid apparently made it pretty easy to discover who is is from his posts all on his own. That's an entirely other topic for another thread (on how millenials and younger generations are to trusting online).

Anyway, it's not like CNN spent thousands of hours and resources to track this kid down, which means it's highly likely other news agencies (both MSM and independent bloggers) also have this kids identity right now, already.

I think what CNN should have done was confirm they had an identity but not contact the person. CNN should have made a statement saying that yeah, sure, they know who made the meme, but in the interest of self-expression and free speech they're "not going to investigate or push the matter".

That would have served two purposes:

1. Put other outfits on notice that they shouldn't either, putting CNN out in front of any possible release of personal information dropped by a blog or other MSM outlet.

2. Kept CNN from looking petty and/or menacing.

I honestly don't think they're blackmailing the kid or his family. I really don't. I think the entire thing was bungled, and to be honest -- handled quite irresponsibly. Why even bother contacting the kid? To confirm he's the person? Who cares, CNN?

CNN should have stayed the hell away and not made contact. Period. What's surprising is how many young people work for CNN. The "culture" of the internet has it's own social rules and these types of things aren't "cool" or "OK" to netizens. God I'm showing my age, we used to call people of the internet 'netizens' back in the 90s.

Anyway. That's how I feel. Not condoning, but I'm also not jumping on this hive-mind blind rage train either.

Damn CNN, you screwed this one up.

Or CNN could have realized it was a stupid meme, said the trump was childish and moved on.

There was no need even for one second to care enough to search for who made it.

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I see.

Journalists only protect their sources when it's convenient for them to do so. If you are passing them unsubstantiated rumors about Trump's ice cream allotment, your identity will be protected.

If you create a meme showing their network logo getting beat in a cage match, your identity will be the source of blackmail. Do not say mean things about us ... or else!

Says something about the state of political discourse in this country that it works too. Guy is afraid for his life if people find out who he is because he makes satire.

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

a reply to: Dfairlite

CNN does not have the constitutional power to tell a random kid what to do or say.

But it does have legal rights. I'm not saying CNN has made the best choice from a PR point of view, but the non-stop attacks from the right are intended to undermine their credibility. Since they specialize in news entertainment, their credibility is important to them. They sell an audience to advertisers so that advertisers can sell products to that audience. The law specifically states that if lies can cause financial harm, it is libel. This "random kid" is attempting to commit libel. Would you rather CNN sue him?

All this is part of a larger national debate. Alexandr Solzhenitsyn said that Americans abuse their freedom of expression because they take it for granted. In Soviet Russia, you had to be careful to say things that were important enough that you were willing to accept the consequences. The past decade has seen the emergence of a toxic troll culture in the United States. Donald Trump is not so much the President of the United States as he is the King of Trolls. The relentless attacks against the media and press are a no holds barred attack on a core principle of democracy. Rather than use our First Amendment right to engage in civil discourse in order to achieve the best possible policies, the electronic commons has been reduced to a mosh pit, where the ugliest emotions are being churned up in the most destructive way possible.

It was wrong of Trump, who is being paid by the people of the United States, to put personal loyalty and profit over justice. CNN is a private corporation that is expected to act out of self interest. When its quest for profits benefits the people, so much the better. If it leads them to threaten legal action, they have that right under law. Whether this was the right battle for CNN at the right time... I have no idea. What distresses me is that the man "with his finger on the button" even saw this trollery in the first place, never mind had the immaturity to re-post it.

There you have it from another leftie.

Make a funny meme, you committed libel.

Not only has CNN outed themselves as bullies and possibly criminal, but it has lead to outing people on ats as authoritarians that seek to crush all free speech and humor they don't agree with.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I don't know what planet I'm on anymore. Since 2016 everything is just absurd. Someone wake me up, tell me Bernie is president and there's no war being waged between the president a media outlet and a private citizen (who is a moron that is partially responsible for the mess he's in).

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

a reply to: UKTruth

So you see no wrong in a Corporate news organisation threatening a private citizen with exposure over a meme?

The First Amendment protects his right to create the meme; it also protects CNN's right to publish the author's name. The moral of the story is: do not say or do something spiteful if you are afraid of the consequences. Anonymity no longer exists.

They did not publish his name - they threatened him instead in order to control his behaviour.

and you are okay with that?
in a free society?

What about boards that individuals talk about crappy a tv show or series is?

Should the big media moguls be able to THREATEN them as well.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I would like for trump to stop tweeting things like this.

However, how can anyone convince him to stop when almost everytime he does it the overreaction by the anti trumpers make them look 10x worse than him.

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

CNN is getting crushed on all fronts. They are losing the fake news war they started, they're getting exposed as fraudsters and left-wing ideologues instead of real journalists, it's just one scandal after another.

The only explanation is that they are getting so desperate and so triggered by the attention Trump's tweet got that they decided to try and make an example out of this guy as a warning to anyone posting controversial/satirical content about them. They've literally sunk to that level.

They want a meme war... they got one.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
The Great Meme war has begun, war has been declared, with CNN firing the first shot and invasion.

So the meme war is like WW2, there was tension before the invasion of Poland with Germany, but in all practical terms CNN just invaded and declared war on a weaker defenseless nobody, the entire internet(The Allies) has come to his defense because they all know anybody could be next and WE will not let that happened we know what's at stake.
Anonymous and 4Chan are going to eat them for breakfast lunch and supper with this, I mean look at the memes posted in this thread alone. Not only that, IF some were neutral to CNN before they won't be anymore.

So CNN took a bad week and made it even worse, now here is what the internet can do, since you want to target individuals, the internet can target every one of your employees, posting addresses, phone numbers, the schools your kids go to, that type of stuff, do you REALLY want to go there, I think not.

As for Reddit, I will never post another thing on that site again, they cannot be trusted.
Something like this better never happen to an ATS member.

And oh my favorite meme's & other for CNN

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
IMO, the doctoring of that video to add a CNN in place of Vince McMahon's head was something a 15 year old could do.

If CNN is mad about this, just wait until they see some of the more sophisticated editing that's probably being cooked up!

Imagine what can be done to the CNN logo, (or any of the CNN talking-heads) by easily editing existing videos out there in wild.

I'd like to see one where a guy lights his fart and it roasts Don Lemon!

If we get one of those I am going to laid a bet that you cook it up.

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join