It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today was a good day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Ever have one of those days that just turn out to be freakin outrageously awesome?
I thought it was going to be a crappy day because it didn't start off that well.
Last week I was asked to pick someone up from a hotel on the other side of town this morning, to give them a ride up to the mine site.
No big deal, I called him up last night and arranged to pick him up at 4 am. I confirmed the hotel he was staying at - which was supposed to be right next to th airport.
I get to the hotel at 4:05 am and wait out front. I sat their for at least 10 minutes waiting until I decided to go talk to the front desk clerk.
I asked if he could ring up the persons room to tell them I was here.
Well the clerk says, no one had checked in under that name....damn

I reached for my cell and sure enough it was still at home on the ledge waiting for me so I wouldn't forget it this morning.
Double damn.
You see, I live across town, as far as possible from the airport in the country side.
I thought to myself, what other hotels are around here?
Well up th road is the Victoria Inn, I'll go check there.
So I drive up the road 5 minutes and pull up to the front door.
Thank crap the guy was standing there!

I gave him crap jokingly about telling me the wrong hotel and we started off for the hour and a half drive to the mine site.
I pulled into a Tim Hortons Coffee drive thru just off the hiway and of course there is a line up 20 cars long already.
Ordered my coffee and pull up to the window.
I went to hand the cashier my $1.70 and sure enough, he fumbles and half the change landed on the ground.
I was just about to get out of my Jeep, but the guy said " Hey, it's no big floppy, take the coffee"
Right on, thanks. - my first lucky break of the morning.

We're on the hiway cruising along yacking about work, when I turn my attention to light a smoke up, I look back at the road and about 100 meters in front of us, there are 4 stinking deer just hanging out on the hi-way.
Triple damn
I check the rear view in a split second to see if there was anyone on my rear - thankfully not - and hit the brakes and horn at the same time.
I'm about 40 feet away from the little vermin, when they decide to split and get out of the way.

After that it was an uneventful rest of the ride up to site.

I get to my office to check my email when my boss walks in....
Quadruple damn.
"Jason, I have some news for you" he says.
"Your idea for the continuous improvement strategy was chosen to be implemented"

The continuous improvement strategy was sort of a contest for people to submit ideas to make our daily process go a bit smoother.

As some of you on ATS know, I know a thing or two about drones and have my own confined spaces and underground inspection drone company.

My idea was to outfit a fixed wing drone with a thermal sensor to monitor our tailings dams. I would calibrate it to read the temperature of the rock along the toe of the dams and send it on an autonomous flight mission along the duration of dams length that is exposed to the enrivronment.
We have over 15 kilometres of tailings dams accessible to the environment. So if there was ever another dam breach here - which there has been multiple times in the past - then we would be risking the surrounding environment.
The drone, with the various on board sensors that I won't bore you with, would be used as a means for early breach detection, as opposed to how we discovered all our past water breaches - by accident, when it was already to late.
It's a shot at being proactive rather than reactive.

Anyways, so the boss tells me I won, my idea was approved, it was to be implemented asap,
congrats, blah blah blah...
and hands me an envelope with the prize money -
A cool 4 grand.
Hell yes!

While I'm gloating about winnng to my co-workers, I get called into the mine managers office.
As I mentioned, I own an inspection company.
Well Last week I was asked if I could do 2 drops raise inspections and 2 open stope inspections and to submit a quote to the mine manager for how much I would charge.

At $2500 per inspection for tier 2 risk missions, plus post processing and taxs.
Where looking at $16,100.45 all in.

I was told that it was approved, and to conduct the flights this Saturday.
GOD DAMMMN!

From what started out as a crap day tracking down a confused Newfie at a hotel, changed in a matter of minutes to putting just over $20,000 in my pocket plus my regular daily salary for working here.

So this brings me to my question,

Has anyone else had a total 180 of a day.

All the signs and symptoms point to horrible day ahead: brace yourself!
But instead turned out to be One heck of a day

edit on 4-7-2017 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
A persons life is that of one that matches the winds of the day. Just go with it. It maybe gentle or it may have the shadow of the unknown to you. But that is life.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Gotta love a positive outcome!

Thanks for bucking the trend of gloom.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   
It was my pleasure Chr0!

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Awesome news, nice prize money and great inspection contracts congrats.

I love a good day that starts cruising in a Jeep, sets the scene ☺ Love my Jeeps.

Had a crap start to the year myself but is picking up now mid year, with some new garden contracts and other changes. Winter makes me happy too not as hot, everything goes green. So a 180 mid year.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
so a bad day is 4 deer in the road a wrong hotel and long line for coffee ?
you must not have many good days if that is all it takes .
$ deer look ( way cool aaa see a doe and fawn ( good day so far )
wrong hotel . Humm well tra la la . Long lines ( lines lines very ware a line
better be prepared fro lines lol
That is accutly a good day not evry day you get to see 4 deer just hanging out in the road .
Now me I was hitching around teh country as a young man went into the woods off the road to piss and see 2 deer standing there .
So i just calmed my mind and stood one walked away the other walked right up to me a very good day indeed .
I played pop goes the weasle once WITH A WEASLE lol
had racoons take food right from my hands .
Ps yea dron flying is a good day as well

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
bad day (( o being shot at or boomed mite do it .
just cant get excited about minor problems happen all the time .
some fool cut you off so rage it or just say what ever .

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Congrats!

top topics

join