It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions About Linux

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Nevermind it's in english now. How to i change my screen resolution?

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Nevermidnabout that nevermind it's still in german.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
You must have gotten the wrong version... Get the English version.

About the resolution...at the boot prompt...type knoppix screen=800x600 or whatever Resolution you want. And hit enter to boot it up.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Ok downloading the right version now.......

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
lol unfortinally not all live linux cds are in english yet or they ahvent been teanslated propley i have the same problem, wiht freesbie

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I'd highly recommend Gentoo to anyone who isn't afraid to learn Linux inside and out. It offers you the option of tweaking and modifying your kernel before final compilation. You will walk out having learnt way more then just installing a preconfigured binary copy like Mandrake or SUSE.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Linux > thats far from a beginners distro though. You definately need to be comfortable with compiling from source and figuring out dependency issues and such before jumping head first into Gentoo. I know alot of guys who are hardcore Gentoo users and always rave about the update system on it, so that definately is a plus in comparison to slackware which requires extra software such as Swaret or the slackupdate script.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
i run slackware its good

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I run Gentoo... it's NOT the distro for beginners, but there are very nice installation guides for whatever chip architecture you use... Gentoo Installation Documentation

It took me 3 tries until I finally got it right. It was SO worth it. I used SuSE and Debian before it, but Gentoo is my favorite Linux distro. The only hard part is installation. After you're done with that, it should be a piece of pie.

If anyone needs help, U2U me or visit the Gentoo Linux site.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
Linux > thats far from a beginners distro though. You definately need to be comfortable with compiling from source and figuring out dependency issues and such before jumping head first into Gentoo. I know alot of guys who are hardcore Gentoo users and always rave about the update system on it, so that definately is a plus in comparison to slackware which requires extra software such as Swaret or the slackupdate script.

Thats up to the users descretion alternateheaven.. thats the first distro I learnt on.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
there are several distros available, many that run "live" or from a CD. some that come to mind
are Linspire, Knoppix, DSL (Damn Small Linux, entire OS 50mb) , Puppy( 60 mb), PClinuxOS,
Top Secret Linux .

I am currently using Linspire 5.0.*** . cool OS . I have it installed on 3 machines right now.
2 dual boot systems. whei i installed it I went from blank formatted HDD to being installed
on line, and printing a test page in less than 15 min.

even my Wife who is computer challenged likes it.

for those that dont have the capibility or desire to burn the CDs there are a couple options.

For linspire there is a book Titled The No Nonsense Guide that includes the Live CD for about 20.00.
There is a seller on EBAY that is selling a 5 system "set" @ around 25.00 inc. shipping which
includes TopSecret Linux, Knoppix, Xandros,DSL, and PCLinuxOS.
one of these you dont install at all It runs within windows and you can save stuff right to the CD. so you can carry your entire system with you.

<< 1   >>

join