It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions About Linux

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I'm thinking about running linux on my pc and I want to know some things:

1. Where can I download a good version of linux that's easy to install?
2. How do I install it?
3. Can I run windows and linux at the same time?

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Get knoppix. You burn it to a CD and set your boot order to boot from CD. You can run it while still having Windows installed on your compy, so you can still use 95% of the software out there. It's great for beginning Linux users. Very user friendly.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Thanks I'm download it right now i may need help later though.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
U2U me, I'm going to be going to bed shortly and may not remember to check BTS during my busy work day. However, ATS is manditory, if for no other reason than to get a good laugh

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
after you ahve the hang of that try slackware 10 ive been using it for about 1 year its good for the advanced user

JAK

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I have run a few distros. Red-Hat, Suse, Mandrake, Slackware, Storm and played with the excellent live Knoppix which is great for a taster.

The easiest I found (after Knoppix obviously) was Red Hat. My least favourite was Mandrake after it tried to kill my laptop's HDD, but I have installed it on desktops and it is ok.

As far as running Windows and Linux off of the same computer, yes you can. The easiest way would obviously be to get removable HDD bay which are not that much at all. Then you can just swap over when desired. Another option is to set up a dual boot system using the LILO and GRUB boot loaders.

[EDIT] - Also you may find your local LUG (Linux User Group) an excellent resource for help.

Jack

[edit on 7/2/05 by JAK]

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Ok I've downloaded knoppix now what do I do so that it will boot from a cd?

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
When your computer is booting, press all the F keys and the del key. Or, if you have the message come up "Strike F## for setup", hit that guy. Then go to Boot order and move CD drive above HDD. Throw the disk in and muddle through it! The GUI interface is very similar to windows, so it shouldn't be too hard to get the feel of it.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I burn it to a cd right?

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
yepyepyepyepyepyepyepyep

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Gonna try it now wish me luck

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
One more quick question how do I change back to windows?

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpr12r
One more quick question how do I change back to windows?

If you wanna boot back into windows after your done using Knoppix, just go back into yoru BIOS (setup) and change the HDD that Windows is installed on, to the top. So your returning it to the way it was before you told it to boot from CD.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
You don't even have to do that. To get back to windows, just reboot the computer without the Knoppix CD in the drive.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Yeah I just did whatyou said to do jj and it didn'
work I gotta go now I'll go into detail later.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
If you just burned it as a Data disk then its not gonna boot. You have to burn it as an ISO, or a bootable Disck If using Nero you have to open the Burning ROM and go to Recorder in the menu, then select Burn Image. Then navigate to the Knoppix ISO file and select it.

I like using Burn4Free to burn ISO files since its easier, just hit the big ISO button and select the image and hit burn. Nice and easy.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Where can I get burn4free cause I just burned it as a data disk.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Wish me luck i'm gonna try again.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Iäm running knoppix right now but one tinz little problem. Itäsin german "§$§$!$!§$"§$"§

top topics

<<   2 >>

join