It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I used to hold hatred to those who serve in the military and made rude remarks about veterans.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
a reply to: Gothmog

My ancestors migrated from Lands End Cornwall.

My ancestors were here before the illegal immigrants landed at Plymouth Rock

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I don't want to give them pity, and I'm not one of those guys who says thank you for your service...more like FU...honestly that's how I feel. But I don't say it anymore. It doesn't do any good. I hate the military industrial complex.

I'm not spitting on anyone. See there is that attitude that extended a hand to help somebody who went through the traumatic experience is weak for seeking help. It's that dumb attitude that causes people to repress the experience with booze and drugs, or spousal abuse.

One tour, one month, it doesn't make a difference, if the affect is life changing, causing mental problems.

I do feel kind of ignorant about the Wounded Warrior Project fiasco. But I still think they do some good.

I understand your outright anger that overly patronizing veterans is something people do for political gain, or hollywood ratfaced bozos making war movies that are nothing short of fantasy.

But the reality is not everyone can turn off the war. PTSD/Shellshock whatever you want to call it needs to be dealt with.

To suggest a person is a weaker person because they served less time, is besides the point. I do appreciate your perspective. Many veterans have told me the same exact thing. I guess that's my point, it's wrong to sit around judging those who have and have not served.

It's more important to help those who have served, who need help. Putting all the bravado and machismo behind, one guy might be able to take the carnage, somebody else might not.

I haven't served but I do agree with you a lot. I wish people would shut up with the pity and idolization. It does denigrate those who have served. I guess my point is I've grown to the point where I'm not playing into the pity/worship game.

I am also not taking sides. I'm no longer calling everybody who served a rotten baby killer. Nor am I patronize the guys who spit on others. You obviously have a perspective about things, that I dont.

I agree leave the veterans alone. But let it be known that services or charities are there to help the transition back to civilian life. Nobody needs to make a spectacle of these things.

Sadly big foundations are setup...like Wounding Warrior Project...which I know do a lot of good, but also play into it to make a buck.

Our local home brew clubs raised over 10k for our veterans building...in our rich suburbs, we still have a run down vets building. But I'm happy to say I put all politics aside, got drunk and did something. Hell the community got drunk and made no fuss about it. It was fun and next year it might raise more and spiff up the damn place.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

My paternal grandmother was 1/4 Cherokee.

edit on 2017-07-04T18:25:27-05:0006pmTue, 04 Jul 2017 18:25:27 -0500TuesdayAmerica/Chicago2731 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

IMA MIX...

edit on 2017-07-04T18:26:42-05:0006pmTue, 04 Jul 2017 18:26:42 -0500TuesdayAmerica/Chicago4231 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Umberto

I feel like you meant to say a lot of that to somebody else? Or pontificate in a general comment? A lot of that....I didn't say anything about it...

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
People that insult our great military need to be drafted

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

It's nice to see that you are able to separate the individual from the puppet masters.

I am a veteran, but never had to deploy downrange anywhere (by sheer coincidence, my discharge process was finalized just weeks before 11 Sep 2001, even though I did not technically leave the service until May 2002). My wife, on the other hand, did deploy once back in 2005 to Iraq. I'm lucky that, upon return, it did not change her in any major way, but I know plenty of people whose service in the modern, perpetual-war military who have been changed quite dramatically in physical, mental, or emotional ways. It's very sad to see, and like you, I feel that the governmental support for these vets certainly is lacking.

That said, what you must realize is that there really are a LOT of programs and avenues for help concerning military members transitioning from military to civilian life, and the majority of those leaving the service opt not to take advantage of these services. There is a whole section of the military dedicated to that specific transition of Soldiers, and while it may be lacking in some or many respects, it does exist, and is often ignored by those getting out.

So, yes, the military/government could step up quite a bit in regard to a Service Member's transition to civilian life, but we cannot refuse to realize the personal responsibility of the individual to also ensure that they help themselves. It really is a two-way street during that period of one's life.

Again, though, I applaud your openness and willingness to accept that despising the average Service Member simply because they are a pawn in the military industrial complex is akin to throwing the baby out with the bath water--while a few military members are a big part of the problem, most simply want to do their job as safely as they can and return from downrange as quickly as they can. And many hold similar views to yours and mine in despising the current state of perpetual war that we are in.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

As a vet, I don't care what you think. You were ignorant then, and you're ignorant now. There are tons programs to reintegrate military members and provide support for their families. They want to go back because they come home to people like you

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

You're acting like all veterans are powder kegs waiting to explode and are mentally unstable... Those are few and far between and probably had no business going into the military in the first place. Lots of people went into military service for gibill benefits and because they had nothing else at the time.

Few are aware of the reality of what they are being asked to do. Regardless of the reasons for the actions, they ARE there primarily to defend their nation and in many cases the world.

Banker wars or not, they are patriots and are deserving of respect for their willingness to put their lives on the line for you and everyone else.

There are many who will fight against those bankers when the time comes, and you'll be praying that they are there for you when that time comes.

Jaden

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Same, my paternal grandmother was 1/4 cherokee, my maternal grandmother was 1/4 cherokee and my maternal grandfather was 1/4 choctaw. That makes me more native american than anything else.

It was funny because when I was in bootcamp, I had this grizzled old navy captain who was the dentist, look in my mouth for two seconds (I look 100% caucasian) take a step back and say, you're native american aren't you?

I said "yes, sir, how did you know?" He replied, two things. First, your jaw structure, and second, you have about six or seven years of plaque build up and not a single cavity.

Jaden
edit on 5-7-2017 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Trumplover123

Fine sign me up for front line infantry...don't expect me to return or be much good. I'd rather die than comply.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: bender151

Does presuming my ignorance, or saying "people like you" do any good. I once had the attitude, that "people like you" ie all veterans and those serving were brainwashed idiots...Does that attitude do any good?

Do you honestly believe their are tons of programs to help? The suicide rate is higher than ever.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

If those people who had no business going into the service...why did they get accepted? Which is exactly my point. That particular group of people is going to need help and the resources are scarce.

Of course there are programs to help, but not enough. When will people fight against the bankers? I remember occupy wall street. I don't re-call any bankers heads rolling.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: bender151

Ton's of programs that haven't prevent the increased rate of suicides. Ton's of programs that still haven't helped vietnam vets get straight.

People like me? People like you...does that really help?

Whatever.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join