It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I used to hold hatred to those who serve in the military and made rude remarks about veterans.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
George Bush the Second made me so disgusted in all military actions. I still don't approve of the constant state of war. I'm morally opposed to the wars and those fighting in corporate greedy conflicts. I was one of those people who praised those who spit on returning veterans.

Now I've released that hatred. I hold contempt for the politicians who continue to make war, but never strap on a pair of boots. I am really disgusted that politicians praise veterans then do nothing to help them when they return.

The big issue I have is the young guys serving in war. The youthful soldiers/marines who never had a real meaningful job and went into service. I think it's cruel to take them from the battle field and expect them to return to civilian life as normal.

I worked in a temp agency and met a few Iraq/Afghanistan veterans. They startled me when they said they wished they could back. So I guess I understand that living a day to day life of service of others above self, and the brotherhood of every person being responsible for the life of their fellow persons serving. I get that. It took me a long time to grasp that concept.

So now I see the mental health issues associated with returning veterans. Younger veterans who had a 5 year service then come back to everyday life. I think it is cruel for our politicians to ignore the absolute disregard for getting veterans back to normal. Whatever normal means.

I don't understand why there is no procedure in place to help these veterans get back to civilian life. It's just not right to expect an immediate tolerance to day to day life. Mental health services need to dealt with. The stigma has to go away that one becomes soft for getting help.

I think its interesting to see Wounded Warrior Project recently advertised this kind of help. According to Charity Navigator.org...They spend a great deal on programs, rather than administration, which is really nice.

I guess the moral of the story I have realized a big inner conflict. I used to feel that supporting veterans or encouraging charity to veterans was in fact a pledge of support for the wars I oppose. I've left that premise, out the window. I think it's more important to create rehabilitation. Substance abuse, domestic violence, all of these things are a byproduct of returning from war zone.

Politicians create these problems but don't do enough. I'm no longer taking sides, there is only one way to deal with the veteran problem. That is to deal with the symptoms as they happen.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Umberto

Sorry, I can't feel the pity. I don 't spit on them but they deserve the same respect as any other working class joe paying the bills, no more, no less...perhaps less depending on what your political views are.

It takes a special kind of stupid to willingly fight bankers wars. We've known that our government is corrupt for ever now, pleading ignorance is no longer an excuse. "Just following orders" just doesn't cut it.

I hear there is a large demand for drone operators now....

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

As a 16 year active service member, I appreciate your honesty.

Most young people aren't aware of the truth and real reasons behind all our wars and the military industrial complex. I had been in almost 7 years before I started to understand.

Most join because of a misplaced sense of duty stemming from lies in school, societal pressures and presuppositions. And they just need to be educated. I stay because I'm good at it and someone needs to look out for these young people and ensure they know their oath is foremost to the Constitution and the American people, not some politician somewhere safe.

Also, we are getting much better at having programs in place to help transition out of the service. I don't know if we can call it good yet, but it's definitely getting much better.
edit on 4-7-2017 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Its sad the ones that spit at our vets....I have lots of vets and servicemen and women in my family and it angers them the disrespect they receive because one day you might very well need them and as cruel and cold as it is they might just spit back at you. they take orders they are not the problem when you kill weeds you don't spray the tops of them and hope it goes away, you dig down to the root and pull it out from there and spray the remaining root of the problem. I will be honest those people that mistreat our vets and those still serving make me nauseous to the very core of me.
edit on 4-7-2017 by MissCoyote because: made more inclusive

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I learned not to hate the soldiers of any country.

Hate the politicians.

Whats frustrating though is the mainly American soliders who think think they are protecting our "freedoms" in the middle east. I dont hate for that, more pitty them.

I dont find that with the British military they know they are mercenaries for the big banks and oil companies. I respect that.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Mikehawk

You do realize the most vulnerable population to be conscripted to war are young 18 year olds, with no sense of purpose, no real job experience, and a sense of purpose.

I agree pleading ignorance is not good. But taking a mentally unstable veteran and releasing him to the general public is a powder keg willing to explode. I agree with you the service they do is just a job. But you can't forget how ignorant 18 year olds are. They think it's like the movies, or worse they believe the lies the recruiter tells.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Most of the veterans and active duty that want your pity and your special treatment are the ones that "deployed" to Bahrain or once heard a mortar impact near their FOB.

The ones that have actually been around the block generally would rather you just left them alone to go on about their day, while you go on about yours. No need to idolize, no need to pity, and kindly keep your spit to yourself.

#dipspitbeatsregularspit

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Umberto
George Bush the Second made me so disgusted in all military actions. I still don't approve of the constant state of war. I'm morally opposed to the wars and those fighting in corporate greedy conflicts. I was one of those people who praised those who spit on returning veterans.

Now I've released that hatred. I hold contempt for the politicians who continue to make war, but never strap on a pair of boots. I am really disgusted that politicians praise veterans then do nothing to help them when they return.

The big issue I have is the young guys serving in war. The youthful soldiers/marines who never had a real meaningful job and went into service. I think it's cruel to take them from the battle field and expect them to return to civilian life as normal.

I worked in a temp agency and met a few Iraq/Afghanistan veterans. They startled me when they said they wished they could back. So I guess I understand that living a day to day life of service of others above self, and the brotherhood of every person being responsible for the life of their fellow persons serving. I get that. It took me a long time to grasp that concept.

So now I see the mental health issues associated with returning veterans. Younger veterans who had a 5 year service then come back to everyday life. I think it is cruel for our politicians to ignore the absolute disregard for getting veterans back to normal. Whatever normal means.

I don't understand why there is no procedure in place to help these veterans get back to civilian life. It's just not right to expect an immediate tolerance to day to day life. Mental health services need to dealt with. The stigma has to go away that one becomes soft for getting help.

I think its interesting to see Wounded Warrior Project recently advertised this kind of help. According to Charity Navigator.org...They spend a great deal on programs, rather than administration, which is really nice.

I guess the moral of the story I have realized a big inner conflict. I used to feel that supporting veterans or encouraging charity to veterans was in fact a pledge of support for the wars I oppose. I've left that premise, out the window. I think it's more important to create rehabilitation. Substance abuse, domestic violence, all of these things are a byproduct of returning from war zone.

Politicians create these problems but don't do enough. I'm no longer taking sides, there is only one way to deal with the veteran problem. That is to deal with the symptoms as they happen.

Nice thread.

But, you should read and search a tiny bit more. You- "I think its interesting to see Wounded Warrior Project recently advertised this kind of help. According to Charity Navigator.org...They spend a great deal on programs, rather than administration, which is really nice."

"Wounded-warrior-project-accused-of-wasting-donation-money."
www.cbsnews.com...

The director of this and other programs of late have been caught diverting and accepting HUGE chunks of $$ donated for their salaries to run this and other orgs!

Back on topic-Once you review history worldwide for thousands and thousands of years? You find war has always been going on someplace, somewhere for some reason. So, fight the hatred...not the fighters goaded into believing they are /have been fighting for their country's good causes and freedoms while dying in some God-forsaken jungle or desert 1,000's of miles away from home.

I protested Vietnam. I marched on campuses, and was at Kent State and Chicago. What did I learn? War and death is big business. Peace and love makes no money. And TPTB hold all of that. When everyone loves each other and has equally all the same things and want for nothing....there's no $$$ to be made.

*Thanks to all current and separated Military everywhere for you service to us all especially today July 4th, 2017.

MS
edit on 4-7-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Man I thought that ship sailed after veitnam..

Of course the soldiers are t to blame for the policies of the politicians..

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
There is nothing under the Sun.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Greetings-

My personal thoughts are: You mean the "Department of Defense" doing everything but 'defending' They really don't defend but in actuality they "Offend".

So in actuality after having Daddy grease the skids, George Bush did 'defend' the US when He traipsed about Texas/Oklahoma air space..

Of course, the politicians should be blamed.. Who would KNOW that 'war is Hell' out of ALL the politicians in Washington, who would know? John McCain who spent time in a Viet Cong cage, yet He has tried to beat the war drums for how long now??

In closing, how much $$$ has Haliburton™ made? Unlike the US Dep't. of Defense who has to share ALL the $$$ from the opium in Afghanistan (Why did We invade them again?? See: Afghanistan opium production in 2001 and what it is now) Haliburton™ pockets ALL the $$$ then they cheat on their taxes.
Who cares? Who works at Haliburton™? Eggs Actly

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Vets have been trained to be soldiers and imo need to go through a "deprogramming" and be trained to be civilians again. It should be more than discharge papers.

A soldier has the GI bill etc so he should have a civilian education and mindset before he's discharged.

A soldier should go from Active Duty to Civilian Reassignment Duty and then Discharge.

If the vet can't handle the transition, then he should be kept in the military environment but on the civilian side. Maybe create a Vet Civilian Corps which is the military for discharged vets.

They would follow the structure of the military but wage, insurance, etc would be the same as if they were outside the military and in the civilian world.
edit on 4-7-2017 by AkontaDarkpaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I appreciate your honesty, but if I ever saw someone spit on a Vet I would kick their ass side ways. That is just me being honest.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
My dad was a Korean war vet. Not one that was stationed in Germany or Michigan during the war but actually saw combat in Korea. He was a gunner in a Sherman.
I was the last of 4 sons.
He was always against any of us joining the military with the reasoning that he killed enough people for the family.
As mentioned above he to didn't like to talk about his experiences. The sounds of helicopters and bulldozers gave him goosebumps until the day he died.
We should not feel any hatred towards our vets, pity and compassion would be more appropriate.
edit on 4-7-2017 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
This may be slightly off subject but considering that this is the 4th of July holiday and this OP subject addressed US veterans in particular I thought this comment is appropriate considering that all of the so called news channels daily coverage is heavily weighted toward honoring our military and veterans as well.

This holiday has been hijacked. Veterans day is to celebrate and honor our veterans. Memorial day is to celebrate our veterans killed in action. This holiday is to celebrate our independence and our founding fathers that made it possible. Lets recognize the 4th of July for what it has always represented, OUR INDEPENDENCE...

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mikehawk

Sorry, I can't feel the pity. I don 't spit on them but they deserve the same respect as any other working class joe paying the bills, no more, no less...perhaps less depending on what your political views are.

It takes a special kind of stupid to willingly fight bankers wars. We've known that our government is corrupt for ever now, pleading ignorance is no longer an excuse. "Just following orders" just doesn't cut it.

I hear there is a large demand for drone operators now....

I think the OP was referring to US military . Not some other bottom of the craphole in the outhouse style country.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
This may be slightly off subject but considering that this is the 4th of July holiday and this OP subject addressed US veterans in particular I thought this comment is appropriate considering that all of the so called news channels daily coverage is heavily weighted toward honoring our military and veterans as well.

This holiday has been hijacked. Veterans day is to celebrate and honor our veterans. Memorial day is to celebrate our veterans killed in action. This holiday is to celebrate our independence and our founding fathers that made it possible. Lets recognize the 4th of July for what it has always represented, OUR INDEPENDENCE...

Yes , the day the British WON their Independence from having to manage the United States of America
Happy 4th

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: CharlesT

Yes , the day the British WON their Independence from having to manage the United States of America
Happy 4th

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6
Wonderful

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

My ancestors migrated from Lands End Cornwall.

edit on 2017-07-04T17:22:16-05:0005pmTue, 04 Jul 2017 17:22:16 -0500TuesdayAmerica/Chicago1631 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

edit on 2017-07-04T17:26:36-05:0005pmTue, 04 Jul 2017 17:26:36 -0500TuesdayAmerica/Chicago3631 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join