It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No July fourth threads, good wishes or acknowledgements?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: nwtrucker

"It isn't dead, is it? In fact, it may be the start of a renaissance. A rebirth.... "

I honestly don't know if its dead or not. But the current state of affairs feels less like a renaissance than it does a long, slow, decline into oblivion. It is being forgotten. Its being written out of its own history books. I don't have any skin in this game; I am an Expat, born in US, raised overseas. But its definitely weird to live in a country like the US; there's a weird, almost alien feel to it.

Very true. Yet, the awareness of that decline has never been higher, either. It isn't dead. It may not survive in it's current form and more likely than not, that will be the case.

Die? Nope.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Happy Independence Day.
I would go fishing, but I would need to go buy a license before I would be allowed to do that.
Same for hunting, even I just wanted to go shoot a few groundhogs.
I can go set off some smoke balls, snakes and sparklers... I am allowed to do that.
I don't smoke weed any more, but if I wanted to.... you get the idea.
If I want some liquor, I can go to the state store and buy some at the prices that they set.
Start a business, drive a car, there are plenty of things that the government will allow me to do.... if I pay them for the privilege.
Just what did we get independence from?
England.
We have a new 'king' now.
The federal government.
The state governments are like the feudal lords, taking their cuts and stepping on us where the feds haven't stomped yet.
Happy Independence Day.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
People in my neighborhood love their fireworks for any reason, any season. Suffice it to say, I'm kind of over the 4th-related fireworks by a week already.

My husband's happy it's the 4th, though. He got triple time for part of last night & gets triple time for all 12 hours tonight -- he could care less about the holiday itself, he really loves his company's overtime compensation for federal holidays

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I would point out the predominately U.S. military presence in Europe, post WWII, has allowed, and perhaps forced thee various nations there to get along

No you wouldn't point that out as it's bull#. It was not predominately US forces, but British and US forces, as it is today in Germany.

The lone superpower permitted sufficient world-wide stability to allow nations around the world that had little economic power and personal opportunity to develop into thriving, prosperous and proud countries.

It was no such thing, and was in no position to enable any of that to happen.

The list of those nations is long.

Or rather short. What a dumb opinion all in all.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

then i understand the importance of what took place in this land.. I just.. im going to watch it through the INTERNET lol.

No, you feel a misplaced sense of importance.

Watch if through that British-invented technology your country keeps trying to take credit for? How bizarre!

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

If that event hadn't occurred or perhaps failed, what was the likelihood that the British Empire would have given up that 3.3 million square miles, now known as Canada, as an independent country?

What the hell are you on about? Canada wasn't "given up" by anyone, it was already its own country. The American Revolution had no bearing at all on the Statute of Westminster. Not that you have any idea what that even is.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
People in my neighborhood love their fireworks for any reason, any season. Suffice it to say, I'm kind of over the 4th-related fireworks by a week already.

My husband's happy it's the 4th, though. He got triple time for part of last night & gets triple time for all 12 hours tonight -- he could care less about the holiday itself, he really loves his company's overtime compensation for federal holidays

I recall a few years back, running a load up the Park Highway to deliver in Fairbanks. It was a friday night, around 11 PM and I had stopped at a small fuel stop/ convenience store. About 20 below. The place was full of people and when I asked what was going on, I was told they had just watched a fireworks display at the fairgrounds. I asked what was the event they were celebrating? He said, nothing special just something to do that evening....the whole town....

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Did a bit of the 4th of July today in the UK, was mums birthday, nice bunch of lilies was handed over

They nearly did name her Independence as it was 1946 but that would of been a bit too much

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Morg234

I would point out the predominately U.S. military presence in Europe, post WWII, has allowed, and perhaps forced thee various nations there to get along

No you wouldn't point that out as it's bull#. It was not predominately US forces, but British and US forces, as it is today in Germany.

The lone superpower permitted sufficient world-wide stability to allow nations around the world that had little economic power and personal opportunity to develop into thriving, prosperous and proud countries.

It was no such thing, and was in no position to enable any of that to happen.

The list of those nations is long.

Or rather short. What a dumb opinion all in all.

I won't bother with most of your post, but here's a little bit for you to ruminate on.

The United Kingdom. In 2010, the U.K. held its first defense review in 12 years. Due to the dire economic situation inherited by the conservative-led coalition government, the U.K. announced defense cuts of close to 7.5 percent. Consequently, the British are cutting the size of their regular Army by 20,000 personnel to 82,000, less than half the size of the U.S. Marine Corps. In addition the Royal Air Force (RAF) and Royal Navy are each cutting an additional 5,000 personnel from their rolls.

You'd have likely lost to Argentina without the timely intervention of U.S. technology which defeated the French Exocet. Of course, that was likely British technology in the first place.....

edit on 4-7-2017 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha
Most awesome joke of my whole morning!!!

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Hope you guys enjoyed Treason day! The flag-makers of America's number 1 holiday.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Argentbenign

Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha
Most awesome joke of my whole morning!!!

Some can't handle a very basic truth. Outside the ME, this planet has enjoyed an unprecedented level of piece. human nature, having remained unchanged throughout history has largely had it's proclivity for war held in check. How? Having a lone super power that was obviously capable of applying a severe consequence of action on any that tried or was even tempted to wage significant war.

No, not 'enlightenment', rather fear of consequence via an overwhelming potential response.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: SudoNim
Hope you guys enjoyed Treason day! The flag-makers of America's number 1 holiday.

If one is a 'loyalist'. Seeing the rebels won, they get to name it anyway they way want. It's one of the perks of winning.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

One of the many perks I would guess

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

You are generally right about that, America is superpower, acts like big boss and many just go along in silence with what the boss orders. But... The joke that I pointed at consists in the last five words of the quote given. If my European sense of humor is too delicate for your beyond-atlantic standards, beg me pardon for laughing that loud, but beleive me, reading that sentence was obliterating funny!

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Argentbenign

I didn't really expect universal agreement. Many in Europe, especially the younger generations, have zero idea on how much is owed to the U.S. for their current, comfortable life-styles.

Even though I am of European extraction, when measured in the whole, Europe, NATO, EU, your 'world court' your apparent and impending demise, at the very least culturally, I have zero respect, whatsoever, for the opinions from the other side of the pond.

On an individual basis, a completely different story, each measured on their on merit.

I would not only withdraw from all military action, alliances et al from the ME-largely a European created mess and oil addiction,Israel being the exception, I would do similarly in and from Europe, and all of the above organizations with possible bi-lateral exceptions. Poland comes to mind.

I'd even take California wine over French. Simply put, the feeling is mutual....Have a nice day.

edit on 5-7-2017 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-7-2017 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   

I didn't really expect universal agreement. Many in Europe, especially the younger generations, have zero idea on how much is owed to the U.S. for their current, comfortable life-styles.

Zero being the important word in this paragraph.

Just keep providing the world with movies and tv shows we'll leave you be, just don't try and drag us into your next war once you get thirsty for more oil.

America has entered the "rebellious teenage" phase, it's adorable really to watch all the chest thumping theatrics. Poor misguided children.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   

People in America generally have little research interest beyond North America/Mexico. Even the ones who travel a lot could be still with their "American Thinking" for ages. United States of America is a War-Machine on the Corporate scene and an usurper, con artist as well. The only reason they "help other countries" is to sell their coca-cola there. How many countries you've "helped" already. Not less than 50 on my record. Now go and ask in each of this countries a random historians/economists at any random university what they think about America. Just go and ask, the people will tell you the painful truth. Your government is caring only about their own interest... and this is fine by me, until you start saying that what they do(have done) it's in mine or somebody else's interest.

Just hilarious...

But I am not saying all Americans are stupid, actually quite a lot of them are aware of the facts I pointed at, maybe you should drink some Tennessee with few of them in some local truly American bar and let your own neighbors disillusion you from the unnecessary pride.

And just for the record, I ain't saying Europeans are better than US. The same game goes there as well...

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Argentbenign

People in America generally have little research interest beyond North America/Mexico. Even the ones who travel a lot could be still with their "American Thinking" for ages. United States of America is a War-Machine on the Corporate scene and an usurper, con artist as well. The only reason they "help other countries" is to sell their coca-cola there. How many countries you've "helped" already. Not less than 50 on my record. Now go and ask in each of this countries a random historians/economists at any random university what they think about America. Just go and ask, the people will tell you the painful truth. Your government is caring only about their own interest... and this is fine by me, until you start saying that what they do(have done) it's in mine or somebody else's interest.

Just hilarious...

But I am not saying all Americans are stupid, actually quite a lot of them are aware of the facts I pointed at, maybe you should drink some Tennessee with few of them in some local truly American bar and let your own neighbors disillusion you from the unnecessary pride.

And just for the record, I ain't saying Europeans are better than US. The same game goes there as well...

I would agree, although delusions of grandeur aren't as ripe in Europe as in America it would seem.

For some reason Americans are still brought up on the propaganda that they are the "Greatest Country in the World", the brainwashing starts early for them.

edit on 6-7-2017 by SudoNim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: SudoNim

Zero being the important word in this paragraph.

Just keep providing the world with movies and tv shows we'll leave you be, just don't try and drag us into your next war once you get thirsty for more oil.

America has entered the "rebellious teenage" phase, it's adorable really to watch all the chest thumping theatrics. Poor misguided children.

You live in the past. It's Europe that is addicted to oil, the U.S. has more than enough for itself. Your Sykes-Picot Agreement, apparently is alive and well in the ME. Both France and England spearheading action in Egypt and Libya. Of course, your all paying the price for that, aren't you.

You peacefully acquiesce to the 'culture change', to the immigration issues, all the while point fingers at us. Enjoy your future....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join