It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Journalists Cry Wolf

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

People, ie the Media, who live in glass houses shouldn't be shocked that people throw stones at them from time to time. Especially when they get themselves caught in repeated falsehoods and unverified statements that turn out to be wrong. Basic journalistic procedures would prevent their glass from being broken.

They scoff at the importance and foundations of their own craft for profits and other gains. It would all end if they returned to their principles, which are currently floating somewhere in the wind. The importance of an informed public is no longer something they hold to.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Jonjonj

Our press is not perfect but it is not fake. We can make it better but the push is not to make it better but to delegitimize it. That's scary.

Actually, I agree with your premise that we should push to make it better. I would argue that the push to rid ourselves of lying journalists is a definite move in that direction.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: redtic

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

If you think this is all about a single tweet, you really haven't been paying attention.

What's sad is that Trump has been able to get his base all worked up about this false "fake news" paradigm.

There is little that is false about it, that is, unless, we're simply repeating that narrative because that's all we can do.

There is much that is false about it - the new definition of "fake news" is "news that Trumps deems as unfavorable towards him or his administration". There's a lot of negative press about Trump because, well, there's a lot of not-positive news to report about him. When you have a near historically low favorability rating hovering in the 30s, that's kinda just bound to happen..

That's not true. As recently proven, the negative press is a lucrative business. It works especially well in a pacified, media-addicted populace.

There's a rather large difference between knowingly perpetuating false stories and (subjectively) over-reporting a perfectly valid one. If we're mostly talking about Russia here, I for one am fascinated with the story. Ignoring any possibly collusion, it's quite likely one of the biggest stories we've had in decades.

So if we're talking differences of opinion on what should and should not be reported, I'll just respectfully disagree with yours, but at the same time respect it. But, in that case, the label of "fake news" is at best inaccurate, and Trump should just focus on making more positive news for himself.

It's not about what they report on, but that they do so without the principles of ethical journalism, i.e. Fairness, accuracy, and without bias.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

The dossier was always reported as iffy. There was no major outlet that I can recall claiming that Comey would testify that Trump was under sole investigation.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Our press is not perfect but it is not fake. We can make it better but the push is not to make it better but to delegitimize it. That's scary.

Here is the thing though, if something has been rotten for so long that it actually appears normal, what do you do?
The press in general, both in your country and mine, are guilty of public manipulation on an absolutely massive scale. There is no denying this fact.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

Actually, I agree with your premise that we should push to make it better. I would argue that the push to rid ourselves of lying journalists is a definite move in that direction.

I even linked to CNN to make a point: there is ethical journalism out there. It should be applauded. The job of the journalist is to inform, not confuse, and we should applaud and criticize where it is due.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
If CNN or the very small number of other outlets which you can count on one single hand out of hundreds of national and independent media organizations feel they are being subjected to some type of crime or deprivation of their civil rights, they are more than welcome to present legal action.

Have they sought legal recourse?? They will not have any issues with the legal bill. So if Trump has committed a crime against them, maybe they should use the legal system.
Unless of course... it is a load of bologne and they are simply upset that the POTUS is an American citizen with the same rights to free speech as those outlets who would intentionally and legally deceive their viewing audience.

Time Warner should sell off CNN and whoever buys it should just disband the company or rebrand it. Their credibility is about as good as the Humanitarian beheaders called the White Helmets in Syria. You know the ones reporting about chemical attacks and then allow babies to die on camera by pretending to treat them, when it clearly shows them doing no such thing.

Just because an organization wins awards does not make them innocent of crimes. The last POTUS expanded global warfare to levels his predecessor could only dream, and that man won a Nobel Peace prize!

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I seem to remember Obama actually locking up members of the press.

I love Paul Joseph Watson's take on this fake outrage by MSM over the Trump tweet.

This whole $h!t storm is contrived fake outrage to perpetuate their agenda against Trump.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

The dossier was always reported as iffy. There was no major outlet that I can recall claiming that Comey would testify that Trump was under sole investigation.

But from an honest press, if iffy, why report it? There used to be a policy that a story had to be thoroughly vetted before being published/reported. Seems that is no longer the case and would be another big thing that would go a long way in fixing the problem.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

The aforementioned tweet—a video of Trump himself clotheslining an opponent with a superimposed CNN logo on his head filmed during a stint in WWE—sent the usual suspects into the typical fit of self-inflicted despair. Vice-president of the Poynter Institute School of Journalism, Kelly McBride, said to The Guardian of Trump’s tweet:

“It’s definitely un-American. We have a couple of documents that define us as American: the constitution and the Bill of Rights. It’s Fourth of July weekend, we are supposed to be celebrating those, and the first amendment enshrines freedom of the press.”

Never mind the fatuous non-sequitur; never mind that the president’s tweet was an exercise of free speech instead of an attack on it; and never mind that the expression, a satire of pro-wrestling, was as American as apple pie; this fetid and appalling casuistry is being used to dupe the public into believing there is a threat to the precious first-amendment where there absolutely is none.

For this they have turned reality on its head. In their schizophrenic world, all one needs do is retweet a cheeky video of the president body slamming someone with a CNN logo for a head in order to “encourage violence” against journalists, to “embolden autocrats”, and to attack our free speech rights. What violence and what autocrats we are talking about is never realized, let alone materialized, but the tortured language regarding imagined threats and imagined victims is still promulgated and parroted by the worst of them.

Its most fascinating how the absolute cherishing of these war peddling social divide fomenting multinational corporations that own all of 'our' news media outlets they've turned into tabloid gossip rags as if such mindless unquestioning loyalty to them is Itself the essence of the First Amendment.

edit on 3-7-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

If you think this is all about a single tweet, you really haven't been paying attention.

What's sad is that Trump has been able to get his base all worked up about this false "fake news" paradigm.

There is little that is false about it, that is, unless, we're simply repeating that narrative because that's all we can do.

There is much that is false about it - the new definition of "fake news" is "news that Trumps deems as unfavorable towards him or his administration". There's a lot of negative press about Trump because, well, there's a lot of not-positive news to report about him. When you have a near historically low favorability rating hovering in the 30s, that's kinda just bound to happen..

That's not true. As recently proven, the negative press is a lucrative business. It works especially well in a pacified, media-addicted populace.

There's a rather large difference between knowingly perpetuating false stories and (subjectively) over-reporting a perfectly valid one. If we're mostly talking about Russia here, I for one am fascinated with the story. Ignoring any possibly collusion, it's quite likely one of the biggest stories we've had in decades.

So if we're talking differences of opinion on what should and should not be reported, I'll just respectfully disagree with yours, but at the same time respect it. But, in that case, the label of "fake news" is at best inaccurate, and Trump should just focus on making more positive news for himself.

It's not about what they report on, but that they do so without the principles of ethical journalism, i.e. Fairness, accuracy, and without bias.

I'm curious as to who you, or even Trump, view as "fair, accurate and without bias"? How do you determine what's "real" and what's "fake" out there? I have a sneaky feeling this swings both ways and it's not just "Trump vs the lying liberal media".

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

In several ways you are correct and it's a symptom of Capitalism. Money, ads. Too often, like with this tweet, we hear about it at the top of every hour. It was childish but it was two days ago. I'm tired of reading about it. I'm also tired of a President with the temperament of a toddler. I wish there was more talk about policy but that seems to qualify as fake news as well. I'm not sure why. Probably because they are massively unpopular.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I'm curious as to who you, or even Trump, view as "fair, accurate and without bias"? How do you determine what's "real" and what's "fake" out there? I have a sneaky feeling this swings both ways and it's not just "Trump vs the lying liberal media".

There is quite a bit of literature on the subject. Check out The Society of Professional Journalists, or even the standards and ethics of the NYT, Reuters, CNN themselves. Hold them to their own standards and see if they live up to them.
edit on 3-7-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I find fascinating, yes fascinating when the media cry now wolf and wants to play victim, they chose to get a brain fart after months and months of fake news and blame somebody else for their stupidly and short comings.

edit on 3-7-2017 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
So I am just now watching ABC world news. Second story, I think, is the WWE/CNN video, followed by reporting that the video that was tweeted proves Sarah Huckabee Sanders lied (at Thursday’s) when she stated POTUS doesn’t promote violence. Of course POTUS retweeted that video on SUNDAY, 3 days AFTER that press briefing.

This is why people distrust the MSM.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

But from an honest press, if iffy, why report it? There used to be a policy that a story had to be thoroughly vetted before being published/reported. Seems that is no longer the case and would be another big thing that would go a long way in fixing the problem.

Whether it gets verified or not, it's existence alone is news. It's either real which is a bomb shell or it's fake and a British spy was working to derail the GOP nominee at someone's behest.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

And it is by their own hand that they lead to their demise. Yellow journalism always loses credibility, and gets demoted to the status of rag or funny paper. When the NYT was the paragon of information and survived for over a century, it is because they were ethical while other rags fell to the gutter. They seek to ruin that legacy.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

When Journalists Cry Wolf

Censorship is a fascist methodology of population control, so to is the consistent dissemination of falsehoods into the public arena such as 'Trump and Russia collude to interfere in US elections'.

Now when Russia goes to actually interfere again, the citizens will demand the proof before the allegation is accepted as having any merit.

1 key ingredient is required in order for fascist propaganda to be successful - the citizens should not have access to any non-government sanctioned information which is contrary to government propaganda, otherwise the citizens will discover the whole charade and show others the proof.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Denying the pursuit of knowledge is the purest form of totalitarianism.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

'Trump and Russia collude to interfere in US elections'.

No MSM outlet has claimed such. There are several investigations underway on collusion. They are newsworthy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join