It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glastonbury Festival Michael Eavis Abuses Migrant Workers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

If they were working for their ticket they got it for just 2 days work rather than 14 ... bargain.
I've seen nothing that suggests Eavis pays litter picker or gives them a contract so I don't see a problem.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

If they were working for their ticket they got it for just 2 days work rather than 14 ... bargain.
I've seen nothing that suggests Eavis pays litter picker or gives them a contract so I don't see a problem.

You posted a link from Somerset live earlier.

Here you go, the same site.
www.somersetlive.co.uk...

Seems the organisers budget for 2 weeks but only guarantee 8 hours pay...Pretty rubbish and despicable.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Here is a solution:

Everyone entering the Festival is given a rubbish bag. They are not allowed out unless they present it on exit containing litter. And that would apply to the likes of Corbyn and all the other "celebs" too.

btw I seriously do no believe that anyone travelled to the UK from anywhere just because they were expecting a 2 week job collecting litter only to find they were finished after 2 days!

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Thanks for the clarification

Although the organizers do state the workers are made aware of the flexibility of the days available.

"The length of the clean-up varies considerably from year to year, based largely upon the weather conditions before, during and after the Festival
"This is something the litter pickers – many of whom return year after year – are made aware of in their worker agreements (which assure them of a minimum of eight hours’ work).

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

no, they guarantee 8 hours work. Thats it. It may be more. It wont be less. No false pretences, just mis-epresentation of the facts by the gutter press and others for political purposes

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Sure, though you know as well as I do that when people are looking for folks to come and work for them, they ALWAYS big up the terms they are offering. "Yeah, mate, It says 8 hours, but we always need you for at least 10 days, don't worry about it"

What would have happened if the weather was bad and they needed these workers for two weeks? Would the festival have lost money? I seriously doubt it.

Like I said before, the risk has been shouldered by the workers here, not by the person that made a killing.

originally posted by: AndyMayhew

no, they guarantee 8 hours work. Thats it. It may be more. It wont be less. No false pretences, just mis-epresentation of the facts by the gutter press and others for political purposes

See above, and the Independent is not gutter press, much as you might want to try and portray it as such in your defence of these neo Victorian working practices. The article in the op even quotes people saying folks had booked return flights to their countries, so unless you have proof of permanent residence here for all these people I would suggest the article is not the fabrication you purport it to be.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I think we are missing the BIG point - and maybe that is the purpose of the story in the first case? To defvect attention ....

Why should so many people have been needed to clean up in the first place? There IS NO NEED WHATSOEVER! Those attending are quite capable of cleaning up after themselves.

I can only assume that all those who left litter (ie, it appears, nearrly everyone who attended) have serious physical and mental illnesses. Every single one. There is no other explanation .... unless they are really nasty arrogant bastards who dont give a # about anyone else but themselves, cos "wee got wights" and they havent grown up enought to understand you have no rights without responsibilities.

This is the issue we should be addressed.

Anyone know someone who went to Glastonbury? Ask them why they left their # behind ..... and then ask them when they will stop crapping in their pants.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

All media is gutter press these days. Sadly.

So anyway, what are you saying?

If you offer me 8 hours work (1 day), you will pay me for 2 weeks (14 days) on the basis that if the weather had been bad it might have taken me longer?

I hope you have some jobs going, I could do with some money for nothing

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew

All media is gutter press these days. Sadly.

So anyway, what are you saying?

If you offer me 8 hours work (1 day), you will pay me for 2 weeks (14 days) on the basis that if the weather had been bad it might have taken me longer?

I hope you have some jobs going, I could do with some money for nothing

If you can't see anything morally wrong with this arrangement then I can't help you mate.

There have been plenty of threads on ATS defending big bucks for people who go into business for themselves because they take real financial risks where the workers they hire do not. That's fair enough, but in this case, there was no financial risk to the festival group, all that risk was passed on to the lowest paid members of the team.

That's why I have a problem with it. It's simple exploitation. If we had any decent unions left I would hope they would picket the next Glasto just to show them it ain't on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join