It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars satellite imagery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Found this strange looking thing on the google Mars map, looks to me like crashed saucer. Wasn't able to find anything more on it through google but the area does appear to be highlighted so likely this has been noticed before, does anybody have any information?

Sorry if this has already been posted
Here's the link so you can see for yourself

www.google.com...@81.3462858,91.4969579,5789m/data=!3m1!1e3

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Definitely looks like something hit going at a high speed.

Very interesting.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ashflash

Interesting... zooming in on it, it does not look natural.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Looks like a crater with a flaw in the image, given that practically all craters look like saucers i.e. they are round.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:21 AM
link   
The object in question is actually an infilled crater. The hole has been partially filled in by prevailing winds depositing material in it in the direction of the streaks. The dark part is the part of the crater that hasn't been infilled yet.

More info here:

hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

If you click the highest resolution wallpaper image on that page you can get a clearer idea of the crater.

static.uahirise.org...

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo

Your explanations are probably right in as much as there is a logical reason for this. However, when you zoom in, to me, it looks like an impact as there are skid marks and the object certainly looks solid.

Thanks to all who have replied.

I must log off and dash to an appointment, but I'll check back later.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Not sure what you're seeing, but here is a close up of the crater:

and a close up of the remaining unfilled part of it:

Looks like a hole to me - check the way the deposits around the edge are formed.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo
The object in question is actually an infilled crater. The hole has been partially filled in by prevailing winds depositing material in it in the direction of the streaks. The dark part is the part of the crater that hasn't been infilled yet.

More info here:

hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

If you click the highest resolution wallpaper image on that page you can get a clearer idea of the crater.

static.uahirise.org...

Thank you for that

edit on 3-7-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   
just a space rock that hit there, nothing more

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Doesnt even resemble the the pics in the OP

"Please make sure you have the right world in mind and have dialed it correctly"

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Things have a tendency to appear very different when you get close to them.

Is this unfamiliar information to you?

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Why do you suppose that part of the crater isn't 'filled in' like the rest? Could it be another smaller impactor on top of the old one.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
You know when NASA put man on the moon there were some people who feared the moon dust would be so deep the astronauts would Sink into it .
Now this crater may just fit that mold All that dust filling it in must have took a million years so now you have a crater full of dust how ever deep step on sink lol .
Of corse more then likly it would be packed so good and feal like walking on baby powder .
neat though .
Really mars is cool and i as much as anyone would love to have NASA find life tehre and they probly will .
Bacteria and alga moss type life .
But sorry to say mars has never had little green men .
Ps Really DMV needs to Suspend All aliens flying saucer license These guys cant get within a million miles of aplanet without hitting it b. lol]
Well alest its not a rock

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

Yep! The loose surface material being blown by the very evident high-velocity winds.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It's to do with the dynamics of airflow, and it works in just the same way as sediment will fill holes in a riverbed.

When wind carrying entrained material meets the edge of the crater the airflow is disrupted. As a result the carrying capacity of the airflow (ie its ability to carry material) is disrupted and some material is deposited, making the edge of the crater move marginally inwards. This process repeats over time and gradually fills in the hole in the dominant direction of flow just like a delta advances from a river mouth into an ocean basin.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
As OneBigMonkeyToo answered, it's a partially filled crater.

The "skid marks" is dust deposited downwind, in a similar fashion barkhan dunes form.

This crater is located near one of the poles, where seasonal winds can be quite strong.

In fact, we've discussed this crater on this forum a while ago: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's another closeup image:

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo

Not sure what you're seeing, but here is a close up of the crater:

and a close up of the remaining unfilled part of it:

Looks like a hole to me - check the way the deposits around the edge are formed.

Looks like a ufo moving underground with a big rock on top of it..... maybe thats why its stock under the ground.... cuz of a big stupid rock!

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

a reply to: wildespace

Oh I see. Thanks for the descriptions and follow up, guys. You rock

edit on 3-7-2017 by intrptr because: added reply

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Gothmog

Things have a tendency to appear very different when you get close to them.

Is this unfamiliar information to you?

Indeed they do!

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Ahaha.....pure ale

top topics

<<   2 >>

join