It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Horse Story (well, mine anyway)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

There is always that one guy or gal that has to learn the hard way when they want to show you how to "straighten your horse out" .

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: whenandwhere

Heh...yep!

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

sticking their head all the way inside your truck window (with people inside)

That cues my best horse story.

I was at Glastonbury festival the first year police were on site. I was told they used Christian police that year. True or not the police spent a lot of their time on the Christian field watching the hordes of festival goers pass by on the dusty track in front of them. The noise of the masses and music from various stages filled the air.

I'd been grazing my horse on the Christian field and when I took him for a ride I came up behind a police Land Rover with open rear windows. Several police were standing beside the Land Rover talking to the police sitting inside, all looking ahead and none aware of me riding up behind them.

For some reason I thought, 'this is my best opportunity to have a friendly little chat'.

I pulled him up beside the rear of the Land Rover and began to open my mouth to speak.

Instantly my horse stuck his head into the Land Rover and neighed.

It was pandemonium. Within two seconds I was surrounded by frightened police screaming at me and getting ready to pull me off the horse.

An American preacher who I'd spoken to previously rushed forwards. As I remember it he said about three sentences. I don't remember a word he said but it was the most skillful diplomacy I've ever seen in my life. With those few words he had the whole situation turned around and sent me on my way.

Thank God for the American preacher.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Now that I'm walking down memory lane a bit (with an old horse named Reno), here's kind of a cool story...

We stabled Reno at some corrals out north of Rock Springs. To go ride Reno you just had to run this boy. He'd go crazy if you didn't. He just loved to run and jump. Fastest horse I ever rode.

Now, I've talked about Reno's 'spirit', but this is just one example.

One day me and some friends left out of the corrals and started heading up White Mountain. It was kind of fun because it was a tough ride, and the horses (at least Reno) loved it. Sand and steeps.

We got up on the step, with Pilot Butte off in the distance. It was a beautiful Wyoming day with little wind even (WOW, right?)

When we broke the top, we were pretty much all together, and as soon as we got on top there were some wild horses a couple hundred yards out. Well, well!! ...

There was a pack of them. The mares ran off, and the stallion stood tall. He was kind of a strange colored horse, black with streaks and some paint, but he was PROUD, stomping and dancing.

Full bit on Reno, he wanted to go! "WHOA, hold up, boy!"

Now, I'd never seen Reno around a wild horse before, but it was "game on!!" between these two. At first I thought it was kind of funny, but soon realized this was some serious stuff.

This stallion wasn't backing down at all. In fact, he was ready to get it on! Dancing sideways, quartering, and coming forward, right for Reno. By this time I had full reign and I'm grabbing his lower neck, "WHOA BOY...NOT TODAY...WHOA!!" (prolly should have grabbed his ear, but I didn't). There was no doubt who these two horses were looking at (i.e. each other)

I did manage to get Reno to check and back up (there was no turning him around). Just held my boot under his flank and told him I'd make his mouth bleed if he didn't back up! The pride of these horses, Reno and the other, was just unbelievable. I saw true colors that day, something many will never see. Might be fun between two small children, but not so fun aboard a 1,500 lb. animal.

That was probably one of the most crazy experiences I've ever had on horseback.

I was honestly hoping we could have rode Pilot Butte that day too. In the end, I was just glad we got home safely. Once we got a couple hundred feet between those two, the stallion turned and ran back to his mares.

And that, my friends, is a true story!

Super story.

Wandered into a horse corral as a toddler and a white horse bit my back. Painful huge bite mark. Mom was a full blown horse lover and we grew up at the stables wandering around while she played with her horse and chatted with her friends.

At about 10, was my turn for the barrel racing at the end of the week long overnight horse camp show for parents. Was put on a horse I had never ridden, didn't ride horses all week because mom got a big discount if the horses weren't part of it so i boated and did other activities, not an experienced rider, horse takes off out of control, full gallop around the arena, not the barrels. I barely hung on.

More exhilarating stories to tell but keypad is sticking.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join