It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Horse Story (well, mine anyway)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Now that I'm walking down memory lane a bit (with an old horse named Reno), here's kind of a cool story...

We stabled Reno at some corrals out north of Rock Springs. To go ride Reno you just had to run this boy. He'd go crazy if you didn't. He just loved to run and jump. Fastest horse I ever rode.

Now, I've talked about Reno's 'spirit', but this is just one example.

One day me and some friends left out of the corrals and started heading up White Mountain. It was kind of fun because it was a tough ride, and the horses (at least Reno) loved it. Sand and steeps.

We got up on the step, with Pilot Butte off in the distance. It was a beautiful Wyoming day with little wind even (WOW, right?)

When we broke the top, we were pretty much all together, and as soon as we got on top there were some wild horses a couple hundred yards out. Well, well!! ...

There was a pack of them. The mares ran off, and the stallion stood tall. He was kind of a strange colored horse, black with streaks and some paint, but he was PROUD, stomping and dancing.

Full bit on Reno, he wanted to go! "WHOA, hold up, boy!"

Now, I'd never seen Reno around a wild horse before, but it was "game on!!" between these two. At first I thought it was kind of funny, but soon realized this was some serious stuff.

This stallion wasn't backing down at all. In fact, he was ready to get it on! Dancing sideways, quartering, and coming forward, right for Reno. By this time I had full reign and I'm grabbing his lower neck, "WHOA BOY...NOT TODAY...WHOA!!" (prolly should have grabbed his ear, but I didn't). There was no doubt who these two horses were looking at (i.e. each other)

I did manage to get Reno to check and back up (there was no turning him around). Just held my boot under his flank and told him I'd make his mouth bleed if he didn't back up! The pride of these horses, Reno and the other, was just unbelievable. I saw true colors that day, something many will never see. Might be fun between two small children, but not so fun aboard a 1,500 lb. animal.

That was probably one of the most crazy experiences I've ever had on horseback.

I was honestly hoping we could have rode Pilot Butte that day too. In the end, I was just glad we got home safely. Once we got a couple hundred feet between those two, the stallion turned and ran back to his mares.

And that, my friends, is a true story!

edit on 7/3/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Love your stories, keep em coming.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I and some friends use to ride quite a bit and the fastest one I ever rode was named BB. She was a retired barrell racer and Dear God that girl was fast. LOVED to run and if you didn't let her, she could turn a quiet ride into an all day struggle to control her. Flat out, I never saw any horse that could stay up with her. BB didn't really want to go around things anymore, BB wanted to jump anything in her way.
And smart? I mean to tell ya.
Another horse tore loose when an idiot set off fireworks too close and spooked it, and all I did was lean down and say in her ear "Git'im BB" and we. were. GONE. We didn't so much start to run, we launched.
I got beside the other horse and without me guiding her, she snugged right up against him at a full gallop so I could grab the reins and stop him. She stayed right up against him all the way back, keeping him calm and setting the pace.

When we got back to the group, fireworks boy had a rapidly swelling black eye. He seemed to have fallen down. Several times. Go figure.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

What an awesome horse!!

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Well coming from a brit who although lives in the country your story has my imagination going crazy and takes me right back to the Louis Lamour books I read when I was younger. Love it and thanks

edit on 3/7/17 by macpdm because: Missed a few words here & there

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   
We owned a race horse when I was a kid. Lousy runner. He bit. But he liked having his tongue pulled.
Weird huh?

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
His name was Frisco Fagan. Out of Texas. We ran him in N.Y. at Saratoga and in Florida before we sold him . I was just little Karen then. I don't remember much about him.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Amazing. I rode when I was a kid. Had lessons and everything. I remember the horses being very emotional animals. Like people and smarter than dogs too.
I also remember one who did not want to go out on this particular day.
I took him three hundred yards down the trail where he reared up and threw me off his back and ran back to the barn. When I got back to him he actually stamped his feet at me. Lol.

I never owned a horse that was mine to ride. I rode stable horses at an academy.
I wanted one when I was a kid.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I really like spirited horses. Not mean, just a horse that loves to be ridden as much as the person on them likes to ride. A day with one like that is the reason to ride. I lost a good friend over a horse. He didn't die or anything, I just didn't like the way he treated him. He was just careless. He would run a shoed a horse on pavement. That's about like trying to roller skate on ice for the horse. He did it one time and couldn't stop. The horse was skidding, legs flailing, even sitting down trying to stop. The horse had to jump over the hood of car to keep from just smacking into the front and probably breaking one or more legs, not to mention the damage to his chest or head.
Never rode with him again after that and advised everyone I knew to never let him take their animal out to ride.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
A horse is a Horse of corse .Unless it MR ED .
Ok I get you guys like your horse of corse .
But smart ? No way blow a dog above a rabbit .
A horse is designed and has enough brains for one thing TO run escape from predators .
Dont need more brains or a lot of brains for that .
smarter then a dog ? lol right well then let me see you teach a Horse to do a stepal run ( WITHOUT a rider )
a dog can no problem .
Or even fetch the morning paper . Horses are dumb as rocks But unlike a car you can grow a new one .
Never in my life have i seen a horse show any intelligence without a rider .
My dog on the other hand ( for a dog she was smart say 6 year old smart ) learned alot of new stuff without me even teaching her .

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
My sister has always loved horses. when we were youngsters, my parents bought us a pair of Shetland ponies; Goldie and Thunder.

I was surprised cause I had no interest at all in horses besides feeding them carrots. I supposed my parents didnt want me to feel excluded...

Anyways, I could never tame Thunder. There were many examples of him showing me that he wasn't gonna put up with my attempts to ride him..

One time I tried to put his bridle on, he reared his head, I stumbled backward and fell over a root, he came forward and literally WALKED over me....Remember getting up off the ground thinking what the hell just happened? .. and why wasn't my chest caved in?

That was the last of my failed relationship with Thunder. My parents ended giving him to my cousin a while after...

Your story is much better...but I like playing memory lane as well

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

wow, what a story ! You were lucky you didn't get hurt that could have ended very badly.

The worst things we encounter in my neck of the states are snakes and although we haven't run across any yet, there are now wild boars and even a panther roaming our riding trails....

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Reno too was a barrel racer, and a fantastic one at that (western US Champ). I think they must have run that horse on barrels from a colt (sans rider). One thing about Reno was, you could never run him near a 55 gallon drum. If you did, he would go around it! I mean, there was no force on Earth which could stop him from going around it!

I remember one time Reno was acting up, just being a snot, and this old cowboy who had some stables near Reno's rode up and told me "Son, give me a few minutes on that horse and I'll FIX that behavior!" There was an alleyway between all the corrals which lead out to the desert. At the end of the alley were two 55 gallon drums for garbage cans on each corner (at the corner of the corrals on either side).

Now Reno had the hardest mouth of any horse I've ever known, and I told the guy not to let Reno get his head out when he was coming back (because he'd never stop him). Well, this ol' boy knew everything and just shrugged me off. I jumped up on a fence post and took a seat, and just waited for the "show"! LOL.

I think the guy's name was Jacob or something like that. Anyway, he rode off on Reno and Reno did his best to ride him down every piece of barbed wire, slam into every post and just generally try to scrape him off. When they got out in the desert Reno started jumping and kicking (rodeo time). He was just like that sometimes, especially with someone else on him. Eventually this guy gave up, Reno was just too much. So he starts heading back for the corrals. I even called out to him... "Don't let him get his neck out!" as a reminder. Well, he didn't pay attention and a hundred yards or so from the corrals he let his guard down and Reno stuck is nose out...and it was off to the races! At 17h, Reno was kind of a monster, and when he put his nose out he'd start galloping...every time (fast).

By this point I was hollering at the guy because I could see what was about to happen. Not even a square bit could slow Reno down once he got his neck out. And Reno was headed straight back for the corrals on a dead run. I wanted to cover my eyes, but I couldn't because I was more worried about the horse with the train wreck that was about to take place.

When Reno got to the corrals this guy was just hanging on for dear life, Reno's head, neck and back were in a straight line. He was 'haulin' the mail'! I really struggled to watch when they got to the barrels at the end of the corrals. Reno dug in and cut right like a laser beam around the barrel on the right, the barrel just inches off his right shoulder. Jacob should have taken his cue to exit right then, but he didn't. Then there was a huge crash! Reno slammed into the corral panels behind the barrel and sent his mount airborne clear out into the middle of the corral over his head in a huge cloud of dust. (scared the couple colts in the pen half to death, all of a sudden this guy just falls out of the sky right into the middle of their pen). Fortunately they hadn't chained the panels to the corner post in the corral and Reno was able to stop after just pushing them back a few feet. Damn horse let out a big snort and came walking back over to me, all lovey-dovey now. He'd made his point.

I figured the old cowboy was dead for sure, but he got up. He came limping by me, muttering and cursing, walked right by me without saying a word, got in his truck, slammed the door and drove off. I never did see that guy again.

All's well that ends well I guess.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

way back in the previous century, I was a young man in college. Now to preface, I grew up on and around horses.

One semester I was looking for a few "easy A" credits so I signed up for a horse riding class. Just a couple of credit hours, but with my background in horse riding, I thought that it would be a breeze and help my GPA.

Got a quarter horse named Sparrow. I kept quiet during class, didn't say anything. Just wanted to do my part, get my A and move on.

Well, the instructor was no dummy. She saw through what I was doing and confronted me.

As a result, I had to not just "learn equestrian stuff" but had to learn how to show jump, etc.

It was a fun semester, me and Sparrow. And to this day, this old man can still do a run at full dressage.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: horseplay

Probably the worst horse experience I ever had was on another horse up elk hunting in Wyoming one time.

We were a good 15 miles or so away from camp when this horse stepped in a yellow jacket hole. A swarm of yellow jackets came out of that hole and some flew right up his nose. He went CRAZY! There were big boulders all over the place, and all I remember was seeing those boulders streak by in a blur as we spun around and around...and around. I did manage to get off him without hitting anything. That horse took off to the next county! Took us two days to find him.

Long walk home that day.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I have always had horses . All saddle horses and 1 quarter horse . The saddle horses are gaited for smooth long rides . My quarter horse was for herding and moving cattle and riding the fence lines .

My best horse story, hmmmm....

I had this buckskin mare saddle horse that only I could ride . I was there when she was foaled , I cared for her , broke her etc etc . I would jump on her back , no saddle , no bridle or reins , lightly grab her mane and take off . She would follow me like a puppy , if I happened to stop short , she would run into me and knock me over .

My friends and I were out on one of our long all day rides . Our turn around point was an old country store where we rested our horses and our a$$es . This store had a front porch and big double doors in the front that they left open when they were open for business . We watered our horses then tied them up to a rail across the road in the shade and went into the store to get ourselves a drink . From the coolers at the back of the store we hear a commotion from the front entrance , I walk to where I could see and there standing completely in the store was my horse .

The old woman working the counter looked at me and calmly says "I think your horse is looking for you ." as if things like this happen every day . My friends are howling with laughter as I try to back my horse up without knocking shelves over to get her out of there .

I had her for many years and miss that horse to this day . Best horse I ever had the pleasure of riding .
edit on 3-7-2017 by whenandwhere because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-7-2017 by whenandwhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: whenandwhere

That's a great story! And I can totally picture that happening!

I've had a couple mares like that. Never went inside a store, but weren't bashful about sticking their head all the way inside your truck window (with people inside) to get at your soda if they could get away with it.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: whenandwhere

Used to hunt with a guy who had a mule (most sure footed animal I've ever known too). Whenever we'd go into town he'd always buy an orange soda in a bottle. When we got back to camp that mule would be all over the truck! He'd uncap that soda and go give it to that mule. She'd hold her head up, he'd hold the bottle and she'd drink that whole soda down just like a person chugging a Coke.

Always had to be an orange soda though, mule wouldn't drink anything else.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Now thats funny !!

We had a couple of mules ourselves we used in the fields . I would give them a little of my Mail Pouch chewing tobacco . If I didnt give them any , one or the other would bite me square on my a$$ (where I kept my pouch in my back pocket ).

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Lastly, (last one and I'm done...probably thankfully for some) probably my most harrowing horse tale.

Was fishing with a bunch of guys up in the Wind River Range of western Wyoming once. We'd gone up for a couple weeks after getting permission from the local Tribal Council to fish the Shoshone Reservation (which was kind of a big deal back then actually). We were camped just below the tree line and most of the lakes we were fishing were above the trees. We'd hit a different lake every day.

We'd tried for nearly a week to get up to a lake called Raft Lake, but it was up around 12,000 feet and the weather was just nasty every time we tried. If it wasn't snowing, it was blowing, raining and lightning. We'd get turned around every time we tried to get up there. That lake had some wicked weather for some reason.

One day we finally made it all the way up to the lake. The climb was treacherous and dangerous. To get to the lake you actually had to climb above it along a ledge trail then then ride back down into the lake because of the cliffs surrounding it. Once at the lake the weather actually turned out to be pretty nice and the fishing was beyond spectacular too.

To get back to camp we had to traverse the same route back out. We were riding back out along the rocky ledge about 300 feet above the water. It was basically straight down to the water from the ledge. The ledge was only about two and half feet wide and sloped away from the mountain towards the edge. There had been rockslides up there the whole day while we were fishing, and one of them had partially blocked the trail. I remember it was pretty neat to watch the boulders free fall into the lake like they did. The sun shining on the mountain side had melted some of the snowpack and caused the slide. There was water running across the smooth rock where the trail narrowed. There was no way around it, and no way to turn around. It was ugly.

We debated for a while what to do, and eventually decided we had no other choice but to try it. We'd walk our horses across the narrow spot and go one at a time, single file and very slowly. The rider in front would stop to spot and offer assistance for those following. I was 3rd in line.

Much to my relief we all made it across and got back on our horses. About 20 feet later the mare I was on lost her footing on the slippery sloped rock and went down with me on her. We just about went over the edge as she struggled. Nobody dared move. I managed to get out from underneath her and got to my feet. The mare was snorting wriggling around on the ledge trying to get up. Her ears were back and I could see the whites of her eyes, she was petrified. She eventually managed to get some purchase and got up (thank God!). I think you could have heard my heart pounding from across the valley that day!

I decided it might be best for both of us to just walk for a couple miles after that. The old Shoshone Indian guide we were with said later that it would likely be a story which would be told for many years after that. I know it scared the sheet out of me, that's for sure!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join