It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How high do you rate "independence" in your must haves?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Now that I have entered old age early stage, I'm thinking about the things that I rate as essential. When I use the word independence, I mean I want to live on my own, no support workers.

I realize that a benevolent facility for assisted living makes sense for many people. But there is something in me that is very uncomfortable with not living totally free of assistance.

My big desires as I move further into old age.
1. Remain independent.
2. Stay healthy as long as possible.
3. Avoid depression. Maybe not happy, but willing to be here.

I'm working on all three.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Eat

Sleep

Fornicate

link   
a reply to: droid56

when I get older than what I am INDEPENDENCE is a must. otherwise just take me out back and shoot me

link   

dunno how to delete this one but somehow it was a double post

edit on 2-7-2017 by MissCoyote because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Eat

Sleep

Fornicate

Dump.

Soz OP couldn't resist.

Fox.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Feed myself, clean myself, dress myself.

Not poo myself, not pee myself, not fall asleep in awkward moments.

Be able to dance and screw.

smile and laugh.

Be at peace.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Independence and dignity in old age.

Sadly, the world seems to be designed for the young and the me, me, me culture. Older people's needs are out of sight and out of mind.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 03:20 AM
link   
As you age you have to reach out to 'younger' people for friendship....

and to keep you grounded because the older you get the less friends

you have due to natural depletion (death)

Loneliness is a killer

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I rate independence extremely highly, and so did my grandmother. Unfortunately, I watched her gradually lose that independence as she got older, and I could tell she hated it and felt like a burden. She had a large and loving family that respected her immensely and only wanted the best for her, and we did everything we could for her. I think, if you also make family and community big priorities as well, the people who love you will step in if you are so fortunate/unfortunate that you live long enough to lose independence. Don't be afraid, love and be loved, and provide support while you can, so those around you learn to do the same.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Oh, and she never went to a nursing home (except briefly to recover from a difficult surgery). She lived with family when she couldn't live alone. I think she was OK with that, because when she was younger, she always had family staying with her (she had anywhere from 3-8 grandkids come live with her in "Camp Granada" every summer).

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I worked in nursing homes for many years. Every resident felt the same way as you. I am 67, every morning I wake up ready and able is a gift.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I have actually thought long and hard about this. When does "living" become nothing more than "being alive"? My personal viewpoint is that I will never allow myself to get to the point that I can't take care of myself. How is it "living" when you can't dress yourself? Or cook your own meals or go to the bathroom by yourself? When you are dependent on someone else for everything you do?
There has to be some dignity in life and if I can't have that, I'll take matters into my own hands.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Independence and dignity in old age.

Sadly, the world seems to be designed for the young and the me, me, me culture. Older people's needs are out of sight and out of mind.

Never a truer word spoken or written

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MissCoyote

I am going to walk into the woods and find a bear den and go to sleep in it. Preferably one that has a sleeping bear in it.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

That's the good old American spirit!

I honestly think that some of the Asian cultures have it right, all along. Multi-generational families living together, caring for each other and all contributing in many ways to the overall health of the family.

As for me, I rate my independence highly. When I go down, I want to go down swinging.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

But I'm a Canadian. The desire to remain independent ran through my family. It wasn't based on our country.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

But I'm a Canadian. The desire to remain independent ran through my family. It wasn't based on our country.

Still a frontier based culture...

2nd

new topics

top topics

join