It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kasich advocates mass spending to combat the opioid crisis

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I basically refuse any and all meds at this point. Just eat healthy, exercise, stretch and lift weights and my body feels better than ever.

But I've previously experienced just how much of a problem our system is. I remember feeling a little depressed years ago and mentioning it to my doctor. He asked my like two questions and then prescribed meds. I went home and researched what he had given me and the side effects including everything from heart attacks to strokes to increased suicidal thoughts. Threw it in the garbage. Also had back problems years ago. My doctor without hesitation wrote a script for like 80 vicodins, refilled every 30 days or something like that and offered no solutions others than stay on meds indefinitely or have surgery on my spinal column, as a 25 yr old! I took two vicodin, got incredibly constipated, felt like crap, then tossed them in the garbage too.

My wife likewise recently had a minor operation and the doctor prescribed about 50 tramadol pills with a refill. She didn't need a single one. And on and on. That's just a few of our experiences.

No wonder so many get hooked. Many doctors are criminals, sacrificing their patients health for profit and kickbacks. When we talk to our Eastern European family about this, they're shocked, meds getting handed out for stuff which they're never offered for back there. Then you get to children and all these depression and ADHD meds and it's not just opioid meds which are the problem, it's the entire industry.
edit on 2-7-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Correct.

Also the level , funding , research provided to treatment is no where near it needs to be. Scientific testing and research in the psychology of addiction needs to be in the forefront not militarized police forces.

I'm a proponent of legalize it all. Cut out the criminal element. The choice to use or not use is up to the adult individual.

A person that decides to use can only physically effect is themselves. Sell to a kid, get behind the wheel, produce your own non-FDA approved substance. Go to jail.

Local, state, and federal will be funded to Provide therapy, treatment etc as much At a level that they currently provide abstinence enforcement and incarceration.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy

originally posted by: RomeByFire
Opioids come in from Mexico through the border?

lol ok

Yes. Heroine is an opioid, and it comes into the US through the Mexican border. That's why we need much tighter border security.

Lol. What does heroin come from?

P.S. it's not in Mexico, it's in the two sovereign nations we invaded for an attack they had nothing to do with.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

No. Just let people smoke pot. De-regulate the cannabinoid industry.

End big pharama monopolies.
edit on 7 2 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

lol ok

Yes. Heroine is an opioid, and it comes into the US through the Mexican border. That's why we need much tighter border security.

P.S. it's not in Mexico, it's in the two sovereign nations we invaded for an attack they had nothing to do with.

Totally wrong. The heroin in the US comes from Mexico and Colombia, through the Mexican border.

US heroin coming from Mexican cartels - Business Insider

edit on 2-7-2017 by TruMcCarthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It's not the governments job to solve this problem its the job of the individual if they seek it

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Agree'd, but I would add that the resources need to be there when a person is ready for help.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

I wonder if the lawmakers want to shut down the US soldiers in Afghanistan protecting the poppies that the heroin is made with? I mean they have the excuse of supplying it for big pharma, bud to you actually think that ALL of the opioids are prescribed by doctors? I think that the bankers are the real cartels. Front companies can move LOTS of money through banks. Just look at the biggies like HBSC or whatever it's called. There is plenty of evidence out there of what I speak of. I suspect that the CIA is protecting some drug shipments that are coming in these days, just like they used to do with the coke.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

lol ok

The Mexicans actually have it on lock right now, just because of their business model.

The game changing thing they did was make it safe for suburban white kids to buy from them. Guns aren't allowed, there's a no violence rule, and someone even calls you after to take a survey, and if you choose to participate you get something free the next time.

It was a genius move by someone who recognized what the market was, namely suburban white kids that got turned out by the pharmaceutical companies.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
That's stupid.

Try instead cutting the head off the snake, which in this case is Big Pharma, their lobbying and kickbacks to your local doctor for handing out meds like candy, and do that instead of just throwing money at the victims of the situation.

We're the most over medicated country in the world. That's the problem.

Maybe doctors used to hand them out like candy but no more.
Even people in severe pain are being refused opiates which can only be prescribed by doctors trained in pain management.
Those qualified doctors happen to be few and far between, it may take 6 months to get an appointment with one.
That's how bad it is.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye
So they want to spend tens of billions more to combat the opioid crisis by treating patients with drugs.

Let me guess... Treating the opioid problem caused by big pharma with more drugs made by... big pharma? It's genius, really. Maybe I'm in college for the wrong thing.
>Sell drugs
>Create addicts
>Sell more drugs to treat the people addicted to the drugs you sold them in the first place
>???
>Profit!

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

originally posted by: allsee4eye
So they want to spend tens of billions more to combat the opioid crisis by treating patients with drugs.

Let me guess... Treating the opioid problem caused by big pharma with more drugs made by... big pharma? It's genius, really. Maybe I'm in college for the wrong thing.
>Sell drugs
>Create addicts
>Sell more drugs to treat the people addicted to the drugs you sold them in the first place
>???
>Profit!

It's almost like it's a plan or something...

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
a reply to: mOjOm

Doctors are giving out pain meds like candy, then the DEA comes in and puts pressure on doctors to not over prescribe them. Doctors get scared, and then begin to cut patients off. Some lucky ones get into pain clinics, but not very many. The rest either go through awful withdrawl symptoms, or are forced to buy street drugs.

Suboxone clinics are opening up everywhere these days too. I have 4 clinics within a 15 mile radius of my store. Quite frankly, it is tough to keep enough suboxone in stock to keep up with demand.....again the F'inf DEA and it's stupid a** regulations getting in the way.

Yep its not a one solution fix. Watched doctors trying to find something to help with my Dads pain (while battling pancreatic cance) but not knock him for a loop. My dad was a big guy and some of that crap would just wig him out for a day and half, after awhile he say dont give me that # dont want to be a zombie no matter how much it hurt. Took awhile to dial in what did help his pain but let him be awake and live a little too.

But that situation is going to get worse as the baby boomers get older, not to mention that there as loads of prescriptions around that kids grab from there parents and grand parents, I know we did in the 80's and cant imagine it being any better now. Will have to find that article where teens especially in suburbia aren't smoking refer as much but getting buzzed on prescription drugs legal or not.

One reason think legal pot isn't such a bad thing,might keep some people actually off the hard #. Have heard too many ex football players that were abusing prescription drugs, but a little toke during the day setlles it down and itsn't as physically addicting plus they can function.

This,instead of tweets, and Russian bull# on both sides is what Id prefer our government getting to ASAP.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Legalize weed and prescribe it for pain instead of painkillers. Problem solved!

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
In the day Coke Cola had Cocaine in it and Pepsi Cola had Pepsin...both narcotics, both addictive. So our Government in all it's edumacatedness...Outlawed coc aine & Pepsin and allowed the two companies to use caffeine instead......45 times more addictive than coc aine & pepsin. I wonder who at the time had stock in the caffeine companies.....Opiates come from doctors...heroin comes from outside America....they smuggle in the heroin but big pharma gets to sell theirs any damn where they want. It's not happenstance it's this way. It's by design.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
they should legalize ibogaine

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

lol ok

Really? None of my pharmacists are from Mexico, none of the prescription medication that I take cones from Mexico and when I was picking up my scrips earlier today, the delivery truck had New Jersey plates on it not Mexican.

It comes from Connecticut, manufactured by Purdue Pharmaceuticals. The same company that settled a lawsuit for hundreds of millions of dollars less than a decade for misleading physicians and patients in the addictveness of their biggest selling product.

If people weren't physically addicted to legal prescriptions as a result of building extraordinarily high tolerance, necessitating progressively higher doses and then legislated into withdrawal forcing them to obtain those same prescription medications on the street at excessively inflated prices which make drugs like Heroin a far less expensive option...

Changing that paradigm will do far more than building a wall between the U.S. and Mexico. When you decrease the supply of a heavily sought after product in the black market, you aren't going to solve the problem you're just going to drive up prices and increase profits for the middleman on up. It's not going to magically remove demand for those products in any way.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   
My best friend is an opioid addict. i never intended to go far into it. Ive overdosed and ended up in the hospital 3 times this year already. I always thought that i would be immune to overdosing.My real best friend moved 80 miles away a few months ago and my junkie friend was the one i was left to hang out with. Now its not his fault I chose to use. But I did. I mixed alcohol heavily with it after losing my job which probably contributed to the hospitalization. My other friends have become aware and cant even believe i was doing that #. Ive scaled back heavily myself. My buddy and I both started with opiod medications though.He was an addict, I simply cant feel without something nearly compromising my life in me.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

originally posted by: MysticPearl
That's stupid.

Try instead cutting the head off the snake, which in this case is Big Pharma, their lobbying and kickbacks to your local doctor for handing out meds like candy, and do that instead of just throwing money at the victims of the situation.

We're the most over medicated country in the world. That's the problem.

Maybe doctors used to hand them out like candy but no more.
Even people in severe pain are being refused opiates which can only be prescribed by doctors trained in pain management.
Those qualified doctors happen to be few and far between, it may take 6 months to get an appointment with one.
That's how bad it is.

It took 2 months to get in with my new pain management doc last year and I needed an astounding amount of records from every other doctors I had seen the previous 12 months. The wait time for new patients there is currently 4-5 months because of the high demand, large numbers of referrals and new laws in NY that make it logistically difficult for doctors to prescribe anything on a long term basis at this point. Add in the fact that most "pain management" doctors have combined their resources and opened up clinics that specialize in epidural steroid injections because it's quicker and easier for them, more patients in and out the door like an assembly line and higher profits for the clinic and it's a nightmare trying to find a good pain doc that will even take new patients.

I also had to sign a contract agreeing to random pull counts on less than 24 hours notice as well as random drug tests to make sure I'm actually taking the meds I'm prescribed as directed. It's kind of hilarious in an ironic sort of way because if I test positive for all of my meds, I'm golden. But if I test positive for cannabis, which allowed me to take fewer narcotics, I'm out on the streets with no refills forcing me to deal with, in my personal experience, pretty horrific withdrawal symptoms.

I had that happen 7 years ago because of some issues with the front office staff and the muscle spasms were so severe that they literally pushed the cervical discs in my neck (between C4/C5 and C5/C6 the worst) directly into my spinal cord and I lost the use of my left arm for 6 months, couldn't feel my face and looked like I had a stroke for the first few weeks. Severe withdrawal is worse than the last surgery they did on my hip a year and a half ago.

I was 42 at the time and because it was related to my time in the army, it was considered a preexisting condition so my joints and spine deteriorated and I've got worse arthritis than you would see in someone twice my age because I couldn't get any treatment for it pre ACA and I'm one of the 60+ % of vets who the VA does nothing for. So much for all the promises my recruiter made lol

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
a reply to: mOjOm

Doctors are giving out pain meds like candy, then the DEA comes in and puts pressure on doctors to not over prescribe them. Doctors get scared, and then begin to cut patients off. Some lucky ones get into pain clinics, but not very many. The rest either go through awful withdrawl symptoms, or are forced to buy street drugs.

Suboxone clinics are opening up everywhere these days too. I have 4 clinics within a 15 mile radius of my store. Quite frankly, it is tough to keep enough suboxone in stock to keep up with demand.....again the F'inf DEA and it's stupid a** regulations getting in the way.

Yep its not a one solution fix. Watched doctors trying to find something to help with my Dads pain (while battling pancreatic cance) but not knock him for a loop. My dad was a big guy and some of that crap would just wig him out for a day and half, after awhile he say dont give me that # dont want to be a zombie no matter how much it hurt. Took awhile to dial in what did help his pain but let him be awake and live a little too.

But that situation is going to get worse as the baby boomers get older, not to mention that there as loads of prescriptions around that kids grab from there parents and grand parents, I know we did in the 80's and cant imagine it being any better now. Will have to find that article where teens especially in suburbia aren't smoking refer as much but getting buzzed on prescription drugs legal or not.

One reason think legal pot isn't such a bad thing,might keep some people actually off the hard #. Have heard too many ex football players that were abusing prescription drugs, but a little toke during the day setlles it down and itsn't as physically addicting plus they can function.

This,instead of tweets, and Russian bull# on both sides is what Id prefer our government getting to ASAP.

Both of you are exactly right.
Unless govt money is spent on bringing addicts back with medical support in place to assist in getting off the opioids, then long term psych assistance it won't matter if the addict is ready to quit or not. Currently except for NA which is open to all and free there is just a big black hole for them. The clinics are swamped with waiting lists. Some are taking months to get into. By then they'll be dead or a vegetable.

The collateral damage is Doc's are terrified to prescribe pain meds to people who legitimately need them. Because of the pill-mills the DEA is now deciding whats in your best interest and not the Doctor.

Yay Team USA!!!
If there's a way to screw up we'll find it!!
(sarc)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join