It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kasich advocates mass spending to combat the opioid crisis

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
So they want to spend tens of billions more to combat the opioid crisis by treating patients with drugs. It's like fighting fire with fire. It's like putting band aid on a cancer patient when surgery is needed. These drugs are coming in from Mexican drug cartels because there is lack of border security. Without securing the border, there is no way to beat the opioid crisis. Rather than spending tens of billions to treat patients while ignoring the fact that many more will become addicted to opioids, I'd rather build a wall and toughen catch and release.

An additional $45 billion to help combat opioid addiction in the Senate Republican Obamacare repeal and replacement bill isn't enough, Ohio Gov. John Kasich said Sunday. In an interview on ABC's "This Week," Kasich, who was a contender for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, called the extra money, which would be spent over a decade, "not enough" to stem the opioid crisis.

www.politico.com...

A wall works. Turkey leads the way. The least America do is follow.

www.dezeen.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
That's stupid.

Try instead cutting the head off the snake, which in this case is Big Pharma, their lobbying and kickbacks to your local doctor for handing out meds like candy, and do that instead of just throwing money at the victims of the situation.

We're the most over medicated country in the world. That's the problem.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

These drugs are coming in because there's a market for it. Don't delude yourself into thinking any amount of increased border security will stop any of it.

When you can make something for 7 cents and sell it for $15 no amount of legislation will ever stop it.

That's the hard truth. Whether people want to face it or not is another story.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
That's stupid.

Try instead cutting the head off the snake, which in this case is Big Pharma, their lobbying and kickbacks to your local doctor for handing out meds like candy, and do that instead of just throwing money at the victims of the situation.

We're the most over medicated country in the world. That's the problem.

I actually agree with you on this.

Hell must have frozen over.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Good point. Local governments are corrupt if they profit from drug sales. How many of them are cahoots with drug cartels?

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye
So they want to spend tens of billions more to combat the opioid crisis by treating patients with drugs. It's like fighting fire with fire. It's like putting band aid on a cancer patient when surgery is needed. These drugs are coming in from Mexican drug cartels because there is lack of border security. Without securing the border, there is no way to beat the opioid crisis. Rather than spending tens of billions to treat patients while ignoring the fact that many more will become addicted to opioids, I'd rather build a wall and toughen catch and release.

An additional $45 billion to help combat opioid addiction in the Senate Republican Obamacare repeal and replacement bill isn't enough, Ohio Gov. John Kasich said Sunday. In an interview on ABC's "This Week," Kasich, who was a contender for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, called the extra money, which would be spent over a decade, "not enough" to stem the opioid crisis.

www.politico.com...

A wall works. Turkey leads the way. The least America do is follow.

www.dezeen.com...

The.drugs.were.paid.for.by.you!

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Without securing the border, there is no way to beat the opioid crisis.

Correction:

There is no way to beat the opioid crisis as long as it is profitable and people want it.

A wall works. Turkey leads the way.

It isn't their wall that works it is the threat of death and implementation of it.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Coke is an addictive. How many bottles are sold annually? It's corruption that is allowing this to happen.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Why does every issue that politicians have, come with a god damned price tag?

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye
a reply to: underwerks

Good point. Local governments are corrupt if they profit from drug sales. How many of them are cahoots with drug cartels?

The amount of money in the dope game can buy out most of government.

Capitalism at work.

Which is why it should be worked out in a way where society benefits and the person is helped.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Because in the business of government, it pays to be in business.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

This is why I wouldn't vote for our idiot Governor for President. He is another one of the RINO Republicans who just wants to throw money at problems with no real plan in place.

edit on 2017/7/2 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

This spending will not cure the problem. Sure, it might help a few thousand addicts, but it doesn't prevent even more from getting addicted.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I'm a recovering alcoholic/addict. All the money in the world isn't going to help an addict unless they are ready.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It's nothing short of chemical warfare. I have suggestions, but I fear they would not be welcome.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Kasich is my governor, he sucks. He would steal from me to give to drug addicts. Make the politicians, bureaucrats, and billionaires pay, stop stealing from me a-hole!

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

It's not the Cartels it's Big Pharma that's the problem. The problem has reached this point not because more people are wanting to get into heroin, it's because heroin is a substitute for their addiction to medications they can no longer get or afford.

The opiate drugs people get from doctors are way more powerful and addictive than heroin and that is what gets them started. But when they are cut off from those they have to go for heroin instead.

If they would deal with Big Pharma pushing their sh*t on people the numbers would drop significantly. The Cartels bringing in heroin are basically just providing for a market in demand, but they aren't creating that market. Big Pharma is creating it. That's the source of the problem and that is where they need to stop the problem.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Opioids come in from Mexico through the border?

lol ok

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
Opioids come in from Mexico through the border?

lol ok

Yes. Heroine is an opioid, and it comes into the US through the Mexican border. That's why we need much tighter border security.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Doctors are giving out pain meds like candy, then the DEA comes in and puts pressure on doctors to not over prescribe them. Doctors get scared, and then begin to cut patients off. Some lucky ones get into pain clinics, but not very many. The rest either go through awful withdrawl symptoms, or are forced to buy street drugs.

Suboxone clinics are opening up everywhere these days too. I have 4 clinics within a 15 mile radius of my store. Quite frankly, it is tough to keep enough suboxone in stock to keep up with demand.....again the F'inf DEA and it's stupid a** regulations getting in the way.

edit on pm77201717America/Chicago02p05pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

edit on pm77201717America/Chicago02p05pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join