It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Answer without Googling First

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
I was worried the answer was going to be Buddhism and I would have to start giving the ol' Mandela Effect a second look!

Me too. I was a bit worried when I read the OP.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

To Islam. He changed his name.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

I didn't google but I was 98% the answer was islam ...that music clip...he is so young there I did not recognize him

here is a clip www.youtube.com... "father and son" my husband used to sing/ play this song on the guitar

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Cat Stevens was a popular British song writer/singer in the late 60's and 70's. (I think he's still performing to some degree.)

He had a "religious conversion" sometime in the late 70's. If you remember this singer, was his conversion to Buddhism or Islam?

Please reply only if you remember.

Islam

He DID, however, have a hit album called 'Buddha and the chocolate box'.
edit on 2-7-2017 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Islam. My second husband, the Good One, was telling me about it a couple years ago. My first husband, the Bad One, used to play Cat Stevens on acoustic guitar, so we would entertain our friends at parties, with him playing and both of us singing, harmonizing. One new person came up to us and asked if we played professionally.... haha I gotta admit we were good, but I think the comment is more of a testament to what was partaken of at the parties way back then

.... the Good One plays electric guitar but definitely not a Cat Stevens fan, definitely rock.... but I still can belt out or sing backup to classic rock, or at least way out in the desert, where no one is around to hear you sing, and Thank God or I'ld have to hear them screaming to shut up.... unless they partake around their own campfire....

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Islam.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Islam.
And his mom was Swedish (from a town called Gävle) and I believe his dad's Scottish.

Edit:
Dug up a video.....

edit on 722017 by BobbyRock because: Video added...........

edit on 722017 by BobbyRock because: fixed screwed up link..... sorry 'bout that

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
His songs "Peace Train" and "Wild World" are quite good also.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Islam.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Islam

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

That was one of my ex-fiancé's favorites when she felt like crying. At the last verse, she would sing along, with special emphasis the highlighted part.

All the times that I cried, keeping all the things I knew inside
It's hard, but it's harder to ignore it
If they were right, I'd agree, but it's them they know not me
Now there's a way and I know that I have to go away
I know I have to go.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Islam....why do I feel this is an intro to a Mandela thread?

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: BobbyRock

I always thought he was of Greek descent - listen to Ruby My Love ...where he sings one verse in Greek

au.greekreporter.com...

As for his name change, he commented that “to be honest, I have changed my name five times. My aunt Maria, who lives in Melbourne, says that my father gave me two names, Stefanos-Dimitris, and later I was named after my grandfather Adam, too. My name is a symbol to me.” “I changed my name Stefanos-Dimitris to Steven Adams and Cat Stevens for artistic reasons because I was trying to make a career back then,” continues singer and song-writer of Greek origin and explains that our names reflect different periods of our life. But why did he change his name to Yusuf Islam, you wonder? “When I discovered Islam, I realized that this religion consists of unity and a prophetic story. The Holy Quran’s story appeared more clear than that of the Bible to me. I thought it was symbolic and due to the fact it looked like my personal story, I decided to change my name,” adds Cat Stevens. But he makes clear that his former Greek name and his Greek origin do not belong to the past. “My family members are really close to each other, and I visit Greece every year. My brother lives in Greece but lately, I visit Greece even more often because I realize that my close friends and relatives living there face great difficulties,” continues the Australia-based artist. He also believes that his personality, always longing to discover new things, is purely Greek that’s why he does not feel satisfied with anything permanent. “I don’t think of the Acropolis as it stands today, but of the minds that built it.”

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Islam

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
It was Islam -- I remember he made comments that were interpreted as being supportive of the death sentence on Salman Rushdie for writing The Satanic Verses.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Cat Stevens was a popular British song writer/singer in the late 60's and 70's. (I think he's still performing to some degree.)

He had a "religious conversion" sometime in the late 70's. If you remember this singer, was his conversion to Buddhism or Islam?

Please reply only if you remember.

Islam

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Islam........Till the residual paychecks stopped & the Muslims went all Radical, I believe old Cat went back to England. IMHO.....a sellout who sold out then bought back in..a reply to: queenofswords

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Islam

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight
You're probably right about his dad (my bad, repeating something I heard once - but in my defense, I wasn't allowed to use Google
)....

edit on 722017 by BobbyRock because: meh

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman. Used to enjoy his music in the70s I remember he said he thought that Salmon Rushdie (of Satanic Verses ) should be beheaded. Maybe now he has changed his "tune" but I see him as the Peace Train Bomber.

edit on 2-7-2017 by PsychicCroMag because: to clarify sentence

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join