It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

0.5 mgs risperidone for a seven year old?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: 123143

Neither of you are doctors. What makes you think you have the right to interfere in this way? Disgusting.

No he wasn't denied anything my wife wanted to deny it but she
got put in her place by yours truly.

Ha. ATS. Working as intended.

I don't often say that

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: randyvs

Other meds taken with it need to be assessed with contra-indications and side effects to expect. I would at the very least get a second and even 3rd opinion 1st of it in combination and dosage levels over time.

Here, at least, most psychiatrists will consult with the pharmacist for anything outside of "standard" prescriptions. I hope it's not that different in the US.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I've been taking CBD oil for a while now and know theres still alot of research going on with its many uses in treating a pluthora of neurological disorders. Have you at all considered going this route in treatment? Theres 2 forms available, over the counter that you can buy legally at your healthfood store thats made from commercial hemp. The other form comes from medical MJ that has the other cannabanoids which you would need a medical recommendation for.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I have seen Risperidone discontinued by doctors without tapering, and have seen Doctors order tapering before stopping. If the patient is only on 0.5 mg once daily, and has only been on it for a short time, imo, there is very little risk of withdrawl symptoms.

However, I do concur. It is always a necessity to check with the doctor (or anther one if you think the current one is a quack) before stopping ANY medications prescribed.

full disclosure. I am A PharmD and a Registered Pharmacist for the past decade.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: PorteurDeMort

Just so you all know Kaden has had his meds and is now
exactly like this.

very lethargic and detached.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Other meds taken with it need to be assessed with contra-indications and side effects to expect. I would at the very least get a second and even 3rd opinion 1st of it in combination and dosage levels over time.

Here, at least, most psychiatrists will consult with the pharmacist for anything outside of "standard" prescriptions. I hope it's not that different in the US.

Pharmacists do have big role detecting drug interactions. Doctors call my store quite a bit verify meds before they prescribe something new. Wish they would do it more tho.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Alchemst7

I've been taking CBD oil for a while now and know theres still alot of research going on with its many uses in treating a pluthora of neurological disorders. Have you at all considered going this route in treatment? Theres 2 forms available, over the counter that you can buy legally at your healthfood store thats made from commercial hemp. The other form comes from medical MJ that has the other cannabanoids which you would need a medical recommendation for.

We hardly have any say in this kids life but my wife is reading all of this
and you guys even you who've been a little rash with us. I can't say it
enough. Much abliged. thank yous bigtime and keep em coming.
My wife will read this next.

What gigantic help!

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Your presence is a treasure indeed.

0.5 twice a day.
edit on Ram70217v32201700000055 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: ketsuko

So unless the parent is willing and able to fight outside the system and become an expert in the laws governing what you are and are not entitled to, this is sort of what happens.

Yeah, I know what it amounts to mostly. Us sticking our
noses where they don't belong. But seeing what happens
to a kid full of life until he takes this stuff? The affects seem
liketo much. He can't even walk thru the mall. And he usually
is bouncing off the walls. IDK

I thank you Ket

Just understand, that if he is started on a medication, you are risking serious issued by suddenly not giving it even if you disagree with it.

I am on one that I cannot stop suddenly because to do so would risk seizure. I have to wean off of it.

So don't disagree by refusing to give it to him. A better route is to mention your concerns to people who are in charge of his medications. Sometimes, the changes a medicine will cause will be so gradual that someone who sees it day-in, day-out will not notice what is happening (frog in warm water turned slowly up to boil effect) but someone who only sees the affected person will notice a huge negative impact if they only see that person sporadically. This is because some medicatons have a cumulative effect over time that builds up.

Sadly, they may not care, but then again, they truly may not have noticed too.
edit on 2-7-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I absolutely get you Ket. Gawd I love this place and you're so
on top of this. Amazing insight.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The gynecomastia thing is true, but not very true. As in, it affects a tiny percentage of patients.

In clinical trials involving 1,885 children and adolescents taking Risperdal (risperidone), 43 boys experienced gynecomastia. Since the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Risperdal, hundreds of boys have developed breasts that resemble those of women’s while on the medication. In some cases, boys’ breasts grow as large as “DD” cups.

1,885 is a large enough sample to be statistically representative, and 43 (boys) equals roughly two per cent of that total. IOW your kid is 98 per cent likely not to be affected. I know I would happily place large sums of money on something if I were given a 98 percent chance of winning.

As for the business about the cat, animals react differently to drugs than humans do. Aspirin is also fatal to cats, for example, but that doesn't mean that aspirin is a particular risk to humans. And everyone knows not to give dogs chocolate intended for humans, surely.

Risperidone/dal is far more likely to make the patient get rather uncomfortably fat all over, because it's essentially a sedative which slows down the metabolism and makes you lethargic. It's great for putting the brakes on a runaway condition, but not something you'd necessarily want to take in the longer term.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Is this your kiddo Randy??

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon

So a boy with double Ds is gonna have a great time in school. /
Right.

This kid is being doped up because no one wants to deal with him.
He's out cold on the coach right now after 9 hours of sleep.
Someone tell me that seems right to them?

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

No baby, we just have known him all his life and love him.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Devil's advocate for a second.

You said he comes from a crappy environment ... if it possible that he's exhausted because he can't get enough rest at home? It could be a combo of the two things.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

See Ket to us he's fine and happy as a lark when he wakes up.
Then he gets that lil red pill and bam he's dust. And we know
what his grandmother/ guardian is like. Knocked out like that
is perfect for her. The only way she dealt with him ever was
thru neglect and abuse. So the drug seems to much at her
convienience, not his.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
2% of people taking risperdone get gynecomastia is not correct. i read that 85% people who take it get gynecomastia. the drug does it to everyone im sorry to say. i have taken invega which is actually risperidone but just a new name for it because it is supposed to be a newer version of it. its not a different drug in the same class its the same drug with a new name. it also raises prolactin but not as much i heard as risperdone. i had my levels checked and they were 25. the normal range is 2-18. i asked my doctor if i could try abilify because i heard it doesnt cause raised prolactin. 4 month after being on abilify i had my levels checked and i was at 4. i was so happy, but the effects of breast growth kind of remained although they are subsiding after about 1 year. also the pills are much easier to get off of because there half life is only 3 days where as the injection which i took lasts 2 months. in total it takes 5 half lives to get it out of your system. so the injections take almost a full year to get outta your system.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
A 7 year old should not be on Risperidone!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: lizardghost

2% of people taking risperdone get gynecomastia is not correct. i read that 85% people who take it get gynecomastia. the drug does it to everyone im sorry to say.

Well, I've provided my source, which is a medical paper, so let's see yours.

Although I doubt that you will find any source that agrees with your claim that 85 per cent equals 100 per cent.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Mousygretchen

A 7 year old should not be on Risperidone!!!

I'm pretty sure I agree.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join