It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

just brought home Jocko... 9 week old beagle

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Beagles are awesome and are renowned to make excellent family pets. Always wanted one and I'd have to call it Jeremy Beagle (you'd need to be a Brit to understand the reference).

Crates do work well, especially if they have a cover. Used them for all our spanners and they still love them now - we've just removed the doors.

This website is worth a look

www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk...

We had a few behavioural issues that stopped instantly when we put the woofers on a better rated food. You'd be surprised at the amount of crap they put in.

Awesome looking little beagle tho - enjoy!

edit on 2-7-2017 by DrBobH because: Wrong emoji

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: imwilliam

slept with my daughter all night.

So no crate? Without a crate, among other issues, it's going to be much more difficult to house break that dog.

I have two big dogs, that I crated at night only in the bedroom, and slowly made an area outside of their crate bigger and bigger, until they held it all night. Now I can leave them alone in the house together with no problems. They're 2 and 2.5 years old now. No crate either, that was just for overnight training.
I don't leave the house very often though, when I do, they've been good.

I do have to replace my flooring, one decided to rip it up 😕, he was a bit destructive....he's better now.

A crate is really helpful for night training - I had it right next to the bedside.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I had a Cocker Spaniel that constantly wrecked havoc every day while we were gone. The vet called it a result of separation anxiety. He eventually grew out of it.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: imwilliam

So no crate? Without a crate, among other issues, it's going to be much more difficult to house break that dog.

i know how to house break a dog

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

didnt want him in a crate his first night here.
it was a long day

we took off a couple times today and he was in the crate.

tonight he will probably go in the crate but only while training.
i dont like using them all the time

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

Personally, I wouldn't leave any dog alone in the house all day. Good luck potty training a Beagle. More likely you come home to find dog doo and urine just about anywhere if it doesn't have access to the outside.

If you couldn't housetrain them, you'd find nothing but in shelters and rescues. Whenever I look, all I find are pits for the usual reasons.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

We're even looking at a crate for when we adopt our next pair of kittens. Since we have one older female and likely will still have her, we figured one of those large cat-crate cages on rollers would be perfect to help acclimate a couple new babies into the household. We'd still have their isolation room for overnight and when no one was home, but when we were home, we thought the crate would be better than keeping them shut away.

The bonus being that then we'd have a place where they could hang out on the deck while we were out in the yard working after that.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

didnt want him in a crate his first night here.
it was a long day

we took off a couple times today and he was in the crate.

tonight he will probably go in the crate but only while training.
i dont like using them all the time

I have never used crates for the many many dogs of all races that have been part of the family.

A quick and dry NO when caught in the act followed by putting their nose right up to the pee or dog egg usually works.

If second time unlucky I put their nose î said pee or poo when they are caught red pawed with a strong verbal "NO".

Flame away certain people... my dog family members are happy as heck to be part of the family "pack" and I am their Alpha male.

I bite if they bite and from time to rare time grab them under the ear and twist gently until they say as I understand "ok" but never ever lay a hand or put out a foot or whip upon them...

All four of our dogs are fully integrated into our family "pack" and respect the pecking order.

Warmest

Lags
edit on 2-7-2017 by Lagomorphe because: Buggered up my edit... flame away... I don't care

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

THOSE EARS!
I love those ears. And that little face. I'm envious of you.... cars, baby and little pups oh my!

Been a while..

edit on 2-7-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Beagles require no alpha, although most will choose a favorite person.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Some dogs like a crate; some don't.

I've seen some use an open door crate as a "den" for the dog so it has its place to call its own.

I don't think there is really a "right" answer on this one.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Some dogs like a crate; some don't.

I've seen some use an open door crate as a "den" for the dog so it has its place to call its own.

I don't think there is really a "right" answer on this one.

All I can suggest is to sort through my posts and see what I have dedicated my life to for the past 30 or odd years... can't find the "wink" emoticon!!???

Im best treating our animal friends methinks!?

Warmest

Lags

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: CharlesT

Personally, I wouldn't leave any dog alone in the house all day. Good luck potty training a Beagle. More likely you come home to find dog doo and urine just about anywhere if it doesn't have access to the outside.

If you couldn't housetrain them, you'd find nothing but in shelters and rescues. Whenever I look, all I find are pits for the usual reasons.

for sure.
we have been looking for a couple weeks. shelters and kennels. it is 90% pit bull and pit mixes.

it was hard to find a good family dog. the prices on most dogs were high too.

when i was a kid i remember lab mixes and such free to good home or $20

people were wanting 200-400 for mixed breed dogs. after 2 weeks we found him for $75
not a breeder

we had to go about an hour away. little country type town. the lady had a female beagle that knocked up by a beagle a couple houses down.
works for me

pure bred. no papers or any of that #.
i dont care about that.

just wanted a good dog.

going to make his vet appointment tomorrow

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

A quick and dry NO when caught in the act followed by putting their nose right up to the pee or dog egg usually works. If second time unlucky I put their nose î said pee or poo when they are caught red pawed with a strong verbal "NO".

You say they are your family so I was curious if you used the same methods on your human children?

Grabbing a dog by the back of the neck and pushing it into a pile does nothing when it comes to training, gaining true respect for each other is important but respect through fear, not so much.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Beagles *must* be trained, or else they'll be a huge handful/pain in the ass.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

i know how to house break a dog

Wonderful, then you'll understand why this:

Made me question whether or not you did.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I have two big dogs, that I crated at night only in the bedroom, and slowly made an area outside of their crate bigger and bigger, until they held it all night. Now I can leave them alone in the house together with no problems. They're 2 and 2.5 years old now. No crate either, that was just for overnight training.

None of mine, the ones I've had since they were pups, have been in a crate past a couple of years either, though some have has access to it for longer if they seemed to want it. They'll all different, serious crate time for mine was usually only a month or so, then it was only when I left the house.

One spent 6 months in a crate as an adult but he was a pit and dog fights while I was gone were my concern.

I think crates, used from the start can help with separation anxiety too, you know in a build up to "bigger" spaces as you mention and providing them with a sense of security.

Anyway, crates are a great tool. Of course like any other they can be misused. But if you don't like "rubbing your dogs nose in #" they're definitely the way to go.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

A quick and dry NO when caught in the act followed by putting their nose right up to the pee or dog egg usually works. If second time unlucky I put their nose î said pee or poo when they are caught red pawed with a strong verbal "NO".

You say they are your family so I was curious if you used the same methods on your human children?

Grabbing a dog by the back of the neck and pushing it into a pile does nothing when it comes to training, gaining true respect for each other is important but respect through fear, not so much.

No...

Why look for an argument regarding two total different species?

Looking for a conflict? NOT me...

YOU yes... guess you are not European...
Warmest

Lags

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

guess you are not European..

Lol, not sure what that has to do with anything.

I rescue dogs and not once have I had to shove a dogs face in its waste to teach them not to make a mistake, the one method I use is fail safe and it's so simple, I take them out to the same area every hour and it's that simple and if you don't have the time for training then people shouldn't have pets.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: imwilliam

awesome.
just felt like showing off my new dog.
didnt really start a threat to have my 1st day training habits critiqued but have at it

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join