It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President’s abuse of the press is violative of his oath of office and is grounds for impeachment

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

The AP has had to retract and/or correct how many of their stories just this past week?

That indicates that they published fake news. Either they published it knowing it was false at the time or they published it knowing they were passing off completely unsubstantiated rumors as fact.

They aren't the only outlet in the mainstream press that has been caught out like this in the current presidency either.

It is one thing to discover that this or that outlet published something that was an outright fabrication a la Virginia University rape culture story from Rolling Stone, but when you discover that every once in a while is regularly because they have a narrative they want to push for political reasons, don't you think there is a problem?

And yes, I am equating the journalistic due diligence to verify the story of the Virginia Rape story with the same level of journalistic due diligence being done in the whole Trump/Russia collusion narrative.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
But, I do ask, and I don't think it's too much to ask for, that they at least attempt to delineate between what going on and editorials. It becomes much harder when editorials are being passed off as fact. Still possible, but harder. Matters not which way the editorial swings, it's still not right--not wrong either, but should be frowned upon. MHO, of course.

I agree! Completely...do not interchange news with commentary. But (not accusing you, but I'm sure you know where this is directed) jumping on the "FAKE NEWS" bandwagon simply to vilify all press coverage is equally as destructive. That's pretty much my only point, that the extremes are winning the battle.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone

originally posted by: seagull
But, I do ask, and I don't think it's too much to ask for, that they at least attempt to delineate between what going on and editorials. It becomes much harder when editorials are being passed off as fact. Still possible, but harder. Matters not which way the editorial swings, it's still not right--not wrong either, but should be frowned upon. MHO, of course.

I agree! Completely...do not interchange news with commentary. But (not accusing you, but I'm sure you know where this is directed) jumping on the "FAKE NEWS" bandwagon simply to vilify all press coverage is equally as destructive. That's pretty much my only point, that the extremes are winning the battle.

That is the problem. Most 24/7 cable news is largely editorial/commentary because they have to fill their air time with....something. So they get people to talk a bunch of #.

Sadly, that is how many people form their opinions and get their "news", from CNN, to Fox, to MSNBC etc by listening to pundits and commentary disguised as "news."

ETA:

It doesn't help that, with the information age we're in, and how fast information travels, the media want to be the "first" to report something, which sometimes leads to errors and corrections.

edit on 2-7-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

...and there really is no one to blame except us.

Apparently, this is what we, as consumers, wanted from our 24/7 news cycle. So that we could, in our daze, be told what to think, interspersed with video purporting to show us the truth of the matter.

Oops. Now we reap what we've sown. Neither left nor right, or even centre, are guiltless in this. Now all the major outlets for the "news" deem it necessary to tell us what we must think.

Ooops, again.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

It doesn't help that, with the information age we're in, and how fast information travels, the media want to be the "first" to report something, which sometimes leads to errors and corrections.

some truth. But we are months into fake news about Russia with no end in sight.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Lol you people are hilarious. I swear, the man breaths wrong and you're calling for impeachment. It seems like most of you don't even know what that entails.

Give it up, seriously. My 7 year old handles losing better than you

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

That is the problem. Most 24/7 cable news is largely editorial/commentary because they have to fill their air time with....something. So they get people to talk a bunch of #.

Agreed.

Sadly, that is how many people form their opinions and get their "news", from CNN, to Fox, to MSNBC etc by listening to pundits and commentary disguised as "news."

Unfortunately, this also includes the President. He too, get's his news from it.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: theworldisnotenough

originally posted by: vor78
a reply to: theworldisnotenough

You do realize that the 1st Amendment also applies to President Trump, right? He likewise has the right to criticize the press, call them every name in the book and question their sanity, too, if he wants.

The President is not a private citizen. He is part of the government.

The Bill of Rights was meant to protect the citizenry against the government, not the other way around.

The President is entitled to rebut with facts. Not entitled to abuse.
Ergo, the President and Congress cannot take action to inhibit the press' ability to practice free speech; however, he can say what he wants. What if the press is hijacked by a foreign campaign against us? Can our government officials alert us?

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us
The problem with that argument is that he would have already been prosecuted based on the made up evidence, in the made up stories, by the made up “sources”, that would have never came to light had he not proven the fake news that was, is, and will be circulated. I’m sure any of you would just sit back while a libelous force attempted to destroy you, your family, and your friends. Yeah, didn’t think so...

Prosecuted by who? The press? Who cares?

All the President is accomplishing is feeding the press. The media thrives on the controversy - he perpetuates it.

And do not lump me into the "any of you" category, you have no idea who I am. One, I'm not a public figure. Two, I'm not the PRESIDENT. Three, the media can't destroy me, my family, or my friends. They can just talk.

Fake news...it's the new bogeyman. That only the President is afraid of.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Admitted

"Three, the media can't destroy me, my family, or my friends. They can just talk."

You sure about that? Ask John Stoll or Thomas kossman or the many others that libelous media has destroyed.

Remember, trump has businesses around the world. He can't allow his reputation to be sullied by libel.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

Remember, trump has businesses around the world. He can't allow his reputation to be sullied by libel.

If he has suffered actual libel there is legal recourse which I'm certain he would have no problem pursuing. The thing is, it's all baseless. I'm not saying the media is "right" and Trump "guilty on all counts"...I'm saying Trump is feeding this hysteria and so long as he does, it will just grow and grow.

Also, if he can't allow his reputation to be sullied for fear of personal interests, family security, etc., he should have never ran for the top office of the United States. If he didn't expect to be torn at and scrutinized from all sides, or thought he could fight it, he's ignorant.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Are you serious? Can you imagine the outrage if trump, president of the united states, were to take legal action against a news network? And it would actually be (at least somewhat) justified outrage.
edit on 2-7-2017 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Taking legal action. Providing proof of the media's wrongdoing. Yes, that would be...acting like an adult. If he has reason to do so, I'd respect him all the more for it.

Instead, he tweets about it. Videos of him in some WWE thing punching CNN? Good grief. I give up.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

No you wouldn't. You'd be screaming from the rooftops that trump was trying to quell opposition to him from the media like a third world dictator. That he was trying to shut down the free press. You would excuse their misreporting (just like you are now) as simply part of the job. I can tell you would do this by your outrage over a tweet, which has zero real world implications other than a little entertainment.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I'm not even certain there is a "free press" anymore - it's just talking-heads spouting opinions. Which is why I wish the President, with an important job to do, would just ignore them. It isn't helping him or anyone around him.

I don't use Twitter. It's just all I ever hear about from everyone talking about Trump. That's what is worrisome. That's my outrage. I'd like to hear what he is doing other than his latest tweet. If he stopped it, maybe the media would be forced to report on something else? Maybe?

Ha...

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

But why would he want them to focus on what he's doing instead of what he's saying? He can keep the media off the backs of conservative congressmen with his tweets. They cower in fear of the media.

You can find out what he's doing by following his @potus twitter. He posts everything he's doing and none of his media trolling tweets.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Yes, it would be, unless it could be conclusively proven to be libelous.

But that's a tough row to hoe.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: theworldisnotenough

No one messes with the....

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

It's just the appearance. I mean, right now trump could have mueller fired. That would be 100% legal and justified but the politics of it would be almost impossible to deal with.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   
All I see from democrats is total desperation to impeach him based on what ever they feel the reason should be. They have no message (still).

The press had to retract a lynchpin in their Russian argument: "the 17 Intel Agencies" lie that Hillary started in the campaign and everyone was repeating since like it was fact. It wasnt. It was propaganda.

The leftist DNC controlled media announced themselves as the resistance to Trump and their job is to take him down. They started the fight, but they want to stay in their safe space and do all their damage, the cowardly "drive by media."

Trump is doing nothing but trolling them and they can't handle it. Eventually, their leaders are going to get arrested and I believe some journalists should also be reprimanded in some way. They know this and this is their last chance to set up the next false narrative for when they get busted and # really hits the fan.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join