It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who still wants to claim chimps can't communicate with us ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

My first embedded video (that was easy) the vid speaks for itself.

For those like me who normally don't click on any videos the chimp can clearly be seen giving instructions to a visitor for food and drink.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Sheeeeeeit.

They're very effective communicators.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Didn't it also look like the chimp wanted the banana tossed over the barrier? Maybe not, since the focus always turned back to the soft drink.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well, we all know they sit at old typewriters, writing hollywood flics. Even so, the old chimps are putting out some stale material.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Chimps have used sign language for years.
Good god dogs can communicate with humans.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Sadly so would you if you were in prison...

Warmest

Lags

a reply to: johnb

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Who has ever said we can't? This has been well-known since the original Jane Goodall days over fifty years ago.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
They can communicate, just like a lot of animals.
They just don't have anything particularly profound to say.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Who has ever said we can't? This has been well-known since the original Jane Goodall days over fifty years ago.

I'm curious about this too; where are people saying we don't communicate? I honestly thought it was a given, at this point, that we communicate with many other species.

Personally, my own interests have revolved around birds recently.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
Personally, my own interests have revolved around birds recently.

Those African Gray Parrots with their tiny little brains are much more adept at communication than you would think.

And there seem to be a growing wild population of them in my California neighborhood. Dun dun DUUUUNNN!!
edit on 30-6-2017 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Animals are not idiots and they definitely have feelings.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

You would be shocked what their opinions are...

I had a little rooster save my life once.

They know more than we could ever imagine...

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

More effective communicator than my 17 year old. If I showed him the banana he'd just breath heavily and mope away to his room.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
If a treat is put under one of three cups and someone points to the cup which covers the treat- a dog will go to the correct cup whereas the chimp will just pick a random cup. Dogs and humans have had a symbiotic relationship for thousands of years. -There is a game on the web where you can compete with a chimp trying to remember the location and number of 10 randomly numbered squares 1-10, exposed for 1.0 sec. the chimp will clean your clock- It can remember all 10! Their short term memory is fab-long term not so much.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Monsieur Neary

Didn't it also look like the chimp wanted the banana tossed over the barrier? Maybe not, since the focus always turned back to the soft drink.

Yes it asked for it to be tossed over the wall...it is clearly giving clear directions for specific things....the hand touching its head motion is IMHO it saying "me" for "me" ..........I always get a sinking feeling in my stomach when I see these vids because of how we have been taught to view animals as non-intelligent things incapable of emotion or rational thought or communication.........what a crock.......I have been taming birds and animals my entire life.....I have connected emotionally and intellectually with them all....I even worked at a Zoo.

I would be asking the master chimp to share with its friends....to take turns....even to "direct" others to take turns.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Monsieur Neary

Yeah, that's what I made out of it. But he sure knew what he wanted to drink, and where he could get it.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
They can communicate, just like a lot of animals.
They just don't have anything particularly profound to say.
Dogs definitely have profound things to say if you know how to communicate with them.

The video someone posted about Koko the Gorilla shows the profound things communicated.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: PsychicCroMag

originally posted by: Bluntone22
If a treat is put under one of three cups and someone points to the cup which covers the treat- a dog will go to the correct cup whereas the chimp will just pick a random cup. Dogs and humans have had a symbiotic relationship for thousands of years. -There is a game on the web where you can compete with a chimp trying to remember the location and number of 10 randomly numbered squares 1-10, exposed for 1.0 sec. the chimp will clean your clock- It can remember all 10! Their short term memory is fab-long term not so much.

Parsing the catalyst of what we see as intelligent behaviour by design as simply being a product of memory is very narrow-focused IMHO<

This guy points to the PERSON he wants to do the task...then points to the bag....he doesnt "pick" a drink or a banana he simply points genericlly to the bag of goods asking for a handout......when he sees what is pulled out of the magic bag he immediatly gives yet another direction or teaches with it being either "toss it over buddy" or scooting over for a drink.......this is not just memory...I have trained lots of animals domestic and wild.....these are choices....lol...and working around primates has shown me that they can like or dislike you based on your own personality and traits.....not simply your actions.....lol...and THEY are all individuals.....most arent motivated pioneers of advanced communication with humans.....but some are motivated to be just that.

I have a Tabby that I got very young...weaned early....and once he left his litter he never heard another cats meow.....and I began teaching him to respond to visual directions early avoiding verbal directions coming from me......together we found functional ways to communicate non-verbally...both of us left our comfort zones and met in the middle....no meows with emotional inflections from him and no commands with voice and emotional inflections from me.

When he was 2 years old I decided to introduce him to the bathtub.....lol...."waters"........and he shocked even me because the very first time and EVERY time since he verbalised a cats best shot at saying "NO" which was one of the few verbals I had taught him since he was small........clear....intentional.....proper inflection.....and exactly on cue when he new we were heading to the bath......lol....lol....he still says no but his inflection is much different now because he likes the bath.

When I give my cat treats I take them in my hand and walk away from him....then I stop and stand...he comes from behind me and sits in front of me with his back to me so he cannot see his treats or me........then once he is sitting properly and NOT looking I turn and hide his treats 6-7 feet away and then return to him giving him one pet and saying good boy now you get treats....first I once glanced in a mirror I had moved and caught him cheating by cranking his head around when I turned to go hide his treats then quickly returning to attention before I could see him... and then when I continue the process he "pretends" he doesnt know where the treats are and I "point" to them so he can follow my lead right to them......but he "pretends" he doesnt know where the treats are...he DOES NOT go directly to them based on memory or instinct or need....lol...he is busy "fooling me"......lol....I have intentionally NEVER busted him peeking to see where I stash the treats and he ALWAYS pretends to let me point the treats out to him as if he has no idea where they could be.

My cat is a trained home protection cat.....he alerts me by silently coming up and soft-pawing me to get me to follw him and he leads me to my door when someone is approaching...his hearing is excellent......and he goes directly to my door where he sits at full attention.....silent and reliable......I have a key word i taught him since he was a kitten while we played with one of his favorite toys......a toy I ALWAYS had on or near my head and face.....I taught him to launch himself at my head and face fearlessly since he was a wee kitten......I taught him to associate a specific "tailored word" with his most aggressive biting behaviour when he exhibited it....as soon as he got toothy[he was about to be put down by the Vet as a newborn kitten as he was the last of the litter from a "biter" mother and he was also a little "biter" nobody wanted him so he was slated for execution when I heard of his plight]...the thoughtful vets gave me his favorite toy when I picked him up....a RED SHOELACE[the idiots were nurturing his biting knowing full well his mom was a natural biter-- jeepers-no wonder no one wanted to adopt him he was just like his mom moreso that the rest]...so I can now give him 2 commands which will send him into attack mode with a headshot if I choose it.....he knows no fear of humans or animals.....lol.....I didnt use verbals raising him.....lol.....I got him accustomed to not fearing sudden motions directed at him....until he could not flinch and guage safe distances and his own reaction times....lol...he has no flinch reaction no fear reaction he simply backs up 3-4 feet looking you in the eye and keeps out of your real range.....and if you yell at him.....lol...he doesnt flinch either.....because I conditioned him to not be reactive to verbals but to instead be ACTIVE.....lol.....yelling at him aggessively is actually asking him to jump on your face........with claws.....in a "playfull way"........I polarised his perceptions and reactions and encouraged him to be PROACTIVE.

He is a Tabby..only one I have known....truculent....stubborn.....independant.....Kingly....bossy...pushy....rough...edgy....demanding.....lol....perfect.....and I used "hugs" or as he knows it "tentions" to control and teach him......he is 16lbs and 8 years old and if he asks for treats or something like a bath or brush which I do not wish to render to him on demand....lol....I simply aknowledge his request non-verbally so he knows he has my attention...and LOL.....I ask him if HE WANTS "tentions" which are hugs and lap sitting which he has hated since kittenhood[he feels to controlled when you make him sit in your lap or give him to much attention when he hasnt asked for it]...he will literally turn and hustle away and abandon his original request if I simply reach out both arms towards him....LMAO.....he knows the verbal "tentions" and the arm stretching both equate to loving unwanted attention being slathered upon him.......lol.

One of my adult nephews doubted my claims he was a Watch/Attack Cat.....until I gave him a wee taste of the silent calf-attack from behind on command...with an immediate retreat to my left side....for back-up......for the record his kitten playtime involved my head and legs and hands and arms a LOT.....he doesnt fear being reached out to and he will use you foot and leg as a walkway to your head as he was taught if you try to kick him or strike him.....lol....and yelling makes him want to rumble not run......lol.

When I worked at the Zoo I had friends and enemys...Monkeys which I went to war with who would throw feces and food at me...and Meercats who would always greet me and show symbolic brotherhood ..lol.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

No one ever said that they can't communicate. This is a typical "straw-man" argument. Even a dog can communicate when they want to go outside.

top topics

join