It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else wish they could live in a different time period?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I really wish I could change the time period I live in currently. This period seems.. well it's a bit too personal for me to share why I don't this current period but I wish could live in the times of the Bactrians/Sogdians and the like.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Cavemen times.

Want. Take. Have.

No politics.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Regalius

Nope, I like modern comforts such as hot showers, antibiotics, universal healthcare, I could go on, but you get my drift.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I wouldn't swap the present for anything, but I wish the UK would get over the misconception that the 1970s were a bad time. They were quite nice, and quality of life in the UK officially peaked in 1976. If we could drop the post-Thatcher phobia about the 1970s, we could learn a lot from them today.

More romantically, I quite fancy the middle-to-late Georgian period (1750 - 1820 or thereabouts), or the late Mediaeval. But those would be on the conditions that (a) I was well-off, rather than living in grinding poverty with around 80 per cent of the population and (b) I could nip back to the present PDQ if I caught the plague, or needed dentistry!

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

It is a love hate with the times we live in. Politics and such are a real annoyance at the present time. I guess maybe it has been since we came up with our governmental systems. Which has been going on for 1000s of years in populated areas.

I just can't imagine going back to not having electricity, or modern transportation, air conditioning and modern heating no Nintendo, Microsoft PlayStation, Having to hunt for my food, which would spoil pretty quickly. Maybe living in the roaring 20s would have been cool though.

I am 46, and remember when dial up and AOL were first coming out to the mainstream Boy times have changed.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Apart from the lack of flying cars, (truly!) instant meals that taste just like Mom's and a more tolerant society in general, I'm good. Well, I say good....

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I would probably have done very well in a time where skill with one's hands and intelligence were coveted qualities in an individual. I'm not sure what that time would have been--the Denisovans, Neanderthals, feudal Japan, the Italian Renaissance, the birth of the U.S., the lead up to the Industrial Revolution--who knows? But I will tell you that the decline of both manual-labor skills and the need for the use of one's intelligence really equates to a rather boring life in modern times, at least for those of us living in developed countries.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Take a look at my avatar...

Nerd much? Yep!

Of course what stops me from finishing my time machine is the lack of toilet paper, medicine and ATS

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: InceyWincey

Universal healthcare? Lucky you! Not an American, I presume?

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

/me hands Butterfinger 3 toilet rolls...

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

No freaking way.

Go back to the days of no toilet paper, feminine hygiene products, deodorant, proper sanitation, garbage removal, sewage, instant communication, worldwide travel, running water, electricity, medical and dental care and working 12 hour days 6 to 7 days a week?

The old days were so much harder, we middle class folk live so much more comfortably than the richest royally did even a century ago.

And can you imagine dentistry and invasive medical procedures without anesthesia? No thanks!

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon

The 70s had tons of great things. Everyone remembers strikes, power cuts and bins not getting emptied.
I remember so much more that was fun, though.
TV was just sooooo Un PC! Everyone smoked on TV, drank scotch during the day while lusting after their secretary, Carry On films, Dave Allen, Benny Hill and Monty Python.

Later on it was Punk Rock, Tiswas and Fawlty Towers. Radio One was funny, Kenny Everett and Terry Wogan. The Friday rock show..... Nostalgia.
Morecambe and Wise, The Two Ronnie's....
I could go on.

REGALIUS

If I could be an "indepentantly wealthy gentleman" I would have liked to have lived in the era of Sherlock Holmes.
Cobbled streets, horse drawn cabs and cool clothes. I know Sherlock was fiction but if we're talking hypothetically, I would've liked to have been a friend of his.

I like the way they spoke in those days, too. Very correct but not politically correct. They could politely, and with real restraint, insult each other terribly then wish each other good day before turning on their heels and walking off in a huff.
It must've been awful for the poor but it is today so I guess they just muddled through.
edit on 30-6-2017 by Tulpa because: Spilling

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkyWatcher13
a reply to: InceyWincey

Universal healthcare? Lucky you! Not an American, I presume?

Lol no, I'm a Brit. But I have grown up never worrying that I will owe a whole bunch of money if I need sealing up or get cancer or whatever. I wouldn't wanna go back to any days in Britain before tax funded healthcare and medicines. No chance.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

From a practical POV, the welfare state was in a more robust state. Since employment was high, benefits claimants were left to get on with it, and the dole was sufficient to get by on while you were looking for work - it was never intended as a substitute for wages, and no-one treated it as one, either.

But then, this was a period when you could quite possibly quit a job on Friday and have a new one by Monday. Businesses were much more free and easy with hiring, and the reason this has changed has nothing to do with 'red tape' or 'health and safety' or any such nonsense (The Health and Safety At Work Act was passed in 1974!)

More poignantly, there were next to no people sleeping on the streets. When a 'tramp' came to town, everyone knew about it, and it was a source of sadness and curiosity. They were known to be people who had hit the road, and turned down all the help that was available to them and freely available to anyone. They were regarded as eccentric at best and mentally-ill at worst.

I was looking through an old mid-70s issue of Private Eye magazine recently, and there were some cartoons that featured 'beggars' - the notable thing was that the beggars lived indoors. It was taken for granted that beggars might not have been able to afford a stick of furniture, and had to sit on old packing crates and had to dress in cast-offs, but they had a roof over their heads and were safe, even if it was a very dilapidated residence with broken windows and a leaky roof.

Unimaginable now.

Less unhappily, the national utilities were dirt-cheap. Basic, but dirt-cheap. There is no way that your winter energy bill would plunge you into poverty for two months if you were on an average wage, as it does now, for example. Train tickets were affordable - I can't find any price lists on line, but since 1995 alone rail tickets have gone up by over 200 per cent, with no commensurate improvement in services. In fact, there are fewer services and they are run poorly.

Don't get me wrong, the 1970s were not a land of milk and honey. But we threw away the best aspects during the 1980s, when the Thatcher-Reagan revolutions sold us a dream of free market prosperity. It would be misleading to say the effects were all bad, because they weren't. But looking around us, we can see that we threw the baby of social quality out with the bathwater of the 1970s.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Fascinating and interesting post

I was only a little boy in the 70's but my memories are colour, happiness, and contentment.
My memories of the eighties turn black and white/grey, unhappiness, and discontent.
The best decade for me was the 90's, loved up change...but I'm a dreamer.

*I'd go back to the 90's in a heartbeat on further consideration, no CCTV, no national databases, phones which just made calls and hard to type texts. Checking a mates status by going to see them. Bouncers who beat you up but let you back in next weekend because you took the beating and didn't whine about it. Sharing water with strangers in raves. Enjoying experiences instead of live streaming them so others can see. Travelling in remote foreign countries with no means to contact anyone until you found a town with a phone, feeling totally immersed in the environment instead of posting a selfie... I'm ranting...sorry people, the 90's were amazing for me!
edit on 30-6-2017 by InceyWincey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: audubon quality of life in the UK officially peaked in 1976.

If you liked queuing up at the standpipe for water and sharing a bath (we didnt have showers back then)
I remember it well. The ice lollies were good

After that we went on to power cuts, rubbish in the streets, no trains ..... and then Maggie saved us

But as the the question: I would rather live in Britain 8,000 years ago. Perfect climate (warmer and drier than today) and few people. All the land I love, unspoilt. If I could take my knowledge back with me though. In terms of knowledge, I prefer today. Or maybe 2145AD And then a time machine ....

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Wow, great responses. But the main reason I'd like to go back is due to my fear of excessive miscegenation and loss of diverse culture(caused by the former). Sorry if that sounds a bit rough to think as.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Ummm..."to boldly go where no man has gone before"...it's the far flung future for me...I want to travel to and walk on every world out there...I want to skim through the corona of stars...I want to meet and greet cultures so vastly different that up is down and over is here...

I want to explore...everything...

YouSir

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Yeah, it wasn't as bad as it was painted. I wasn't very old but I've always been more pop-culture than politics.
Think about those TV shows and how many of them would be seen as outrageous now.
Even the repeats of the Two Ronnie's are heavily cut.

But to have been wealthy in the days of Sherlock is my kind of time travel dream.
It would also be fun to join Jerome K. Jerome's buddies and to have made it Four Men in a Boat.

At one time I would've said I'd like to time travel into the future but the way things are going....I think I'll pass on that one. 1984 came and went but, in a way, we're still in it now.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

LOL

Now all I need is some Rolaids and Ill let you all know how the Crusades went

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join