It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump calls for repealing Obamacare without replacing it

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I don't think this works. Obamacare taxed the middle class and put tens of millions, especially children, on Medicaid. If Obamacare is repealed, tax would be cut and all those people will lose their Medicaid like they were pre Obamacare. Rand Paul suggested this idea and Ben Sasse likes it.

www.cnbc.com...

edit on Fri Jun 30 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: New (old) Standards Are Being Enforced (again) For New Threads

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

That is the fantastic plan they are coming up with? Millions lose their healthcare under that plan! Looks to me like they need to FIX Obama care not repeal it!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Might as well take the 'public' out of republican.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Well the American people did vote to get rid of it. So maybe they should just get rid of Medicade and Medicare. And see what happens.

Maybe next time quite so many people won't vote to get rid of it.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

You are correct that it doesn't work, and it's a hell of a lot more complicated than saying "just repeal it," which can't be done in budget reconciliation with 51 votes. That process can largely gut it but then what?

You are Still talking no pre-existing condition coverage, lifetime caps from insurance, no medicaid expansion (which many Governors want - including Republicans), hospitals who have invested based on the ACA going bankrupt/folding, massive job losses in the health care sector (1/6 of the economy), etc.

Some people liked what it was before, I get that. They were most likely not significantly sick and so they had a false sense of security with their cheap insurance plan.

We need something better. Good Lord. Trump knows little to nothing about the actual details of the law. He has no concept what the results of doing that would be or the point is just wants to spite Obama.

He never understood the complexity of the ACA,nor its benefits, anyway.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

They make it sound so easy don't they? Just repeal it and throw millions off Medicaid so they can move on to enriching the rich more. They never see the human suffering in their numbers, because its not their loved ones.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Well the American people did vote to get rid of it. So maybe they should just get rid of Medicade and Medicare. And see what happens.

Maybe next time quite so many people won't vote to get rid of it.

SOME Americans voted for that.

The Majority did not. Some that think that sounds good for whatever reason don't even understand what would be repealed and would hate it once they did.

Republicans want to throw all sick people under the bus, and about 40% of them think that's an awesome idea because they've never been hit by a bus before.

Yay America.
edit on 30-6-2017 by AboveBoard because: Stupid phone keyboard...grumble...

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

The GOP have had like 8 years to bitch and moan about this and come up with an alternative. They never did, and it looks like they actually can't.

Sad really. It's nice to see them flounder so much though on a policy position that has basically defined the GOP for almost a decade.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Donald J. Trump ✔
@realDonaldTrump

If Republican Senators are unable to pass what they are working on now, they should immediately REPEAL, and then REPLACE at a later date!
5:37 AM - 30 Jun 2017

Great Triggering Point.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
No offense but my wife works in a level I trauma center as an ER attending physician.
Yalls Medicaid understanding is woefully ignorant..

FYI, she dedicates a her life saving the uninsured and is a conservative...

So spare me yalls painting us into a corner..

-Chris
edit on 30-6-2017 by Christosterone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

The GOP have had like 8 years to bitch and moan about this and come up with an alternative. They never did, and it looks like they actually can't.

Sad really. It's nice to see them flounder so much though on a policy position that has basically defined the GOP for almost a decade.

~Tenth

How many times did the Rhino's come out during Obama's reign and said they had several plans to replace it??? I remember quite a few! Yet, they have full control and have proven that all those plans they had were a lie! Trump got in and they were like deer in the headlights.

Nothing more than a dog and pony show! The Rhino's were banking on Hillary being president thus enabling them to keep up the charade of actually having two parties when we in fact have one!

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

Thank god for people like her. Unfortunately, she is not in the republican congress.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The following video was shared with me by a member on another thread (credit: alphabetaone). It shows how scared people in Kentucky are about losing Obamacare. Huge majority still support Trump, just not this issue. This particular area depicted is coal-rich and 80% voted for Trump. Unfortunately all that coal causes health problems they can't afford.

It's worth a watch.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard
Nearly everything that you mention about people losing this or that could also be said about what happened to many people because of the PPACA, my parents being just two people who saw their coverage premiums increase nearly 100% while also losing their doctors that they had as primary-care physicians for over 30 years. And please don't make me start listing all of the health insurance companies that were forced out of business because of the mandates in the PPACA (by design, if you ask me).

Here's the problem with the government having dicked with healthcare and health insurance in the first place (and it's the same with every entitlement program): Once people get something from the government (or because of government intervention), it's nearly almost impossible to take it away, even if it's in the best interest of the country overall (which is relatively subjective, I know).

Yes, repealing the PPACA will negatively affect some people, but implementing the PPACA did that as well. When will people realize that the government needs to just stick to governing and stop messing around with private industries? Every single time that they "fix" a "problem," it always costs more and makes things worse. Always.

Repealing may hurt for a while, and yes, it may negatively affect some people, but it will also positively affect some people as well and make their lives better. You mention the false narrative that "Republicans want to throw all sick people under the bus," but that's simple hyperbole based on the incorrect belief that it is the federal government's job to provide everyone with affordable health coverage*.

I've read the Constitution numerous time, including the 10th Amendment. I hate to tell you, but nowhere does it enumerate that it's the federal government's purpose or obligation to ensure that all sick people can afford medical coverage--that should be left to the individual, as well as the states, counties, municipalities, friends, families, charities, and anything else that you can think of other than the federal government.

* I'm not a Republic or a Democrat, and I despise both of them equally. I always feel a need to note that before someone starts accusing me of being either/or.
edit on 30-6-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=22409698]SlapMonkey[/post
The constiyution steps in when the pursuit of happiness and liberty is limited to the rich by congress and state legislators.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower
Well, to be fair, I think that you know perfectly well that once something is given to the people via the government, it's nearly impossible to take it away without committing political suicide, no matter how it affects the average American.

Enjoy the floundering, though--I agree, though, that if they really wanted to replace it, they could have easily had a decent plan already. The problem is, the PPACA is designed to be unviable and lead to a single-payer system, and so replacing something that is designed so terribly is nearly impossible (and, IMO, inappropriate for the federal government to be doing, anyhow).

Repealing really should be the only thing that is happening, and it should go back to the way it was before March 23, 2010. Health insurance should be handed back to the private sector, along with the ability to have things like no health insurance if one prefers, or to only have catastrophic coverage. The American federal government doesn't exist in order to control private industries/companies nor to tell the American people that they must purchase a service or face a tax; the states, on the other hand, can do whatever they want about that, I suppose...like mandating that we have vehicle insurance and whatnot.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3
That's the most ridiculous thing that I've read thus far today.

The pursuit of happiness is available to all Americans...it's a pursuit, not a guarantee. Liberty, on the other hand, is constantly waning, but again, it wanes for everyone, even if the rich seem to be able to buy their way out of it.

And in any event, the phrase, "...life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," are noted unalienable rights, but in the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution. Only one of those is a governing document of the United States of America.

And to be fair, there is nothing unconstitutional about the federal government not usurping control over the healthcare/insurance industry.
edit on 30-6-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
From the OP's link "President Trump urged U.S. Republican senators on Friday to repeal Obamacare immediately if they cannot agree on a new health-care plan to take its place"

Do you think that maybe this is just a little prodding to get the senators moving again? The senate knows that repeal without replacement is a really bad idea and they have no intention of doing that.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Translation: "If you guys can't agree on a humane way to rip insurance from millions then just rip the carpet out from under the whole system and deal with it later".

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Good, screw it.

I get that this doesn't work- but it could- all you'd have to do is ban health insurance completely at the same time.

Can't fix the cost of healthcare with insurance in the picture.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join