It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helios Crashes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I always loved this plane I am sure another one will be built.

www.newscientist.com...

Falcon

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 12:35 AM
link   
It was indeed a facinating plane but I always thought it was of a very flimsy/weak design. Just my opinion though.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 12:41 AM
link   
however with that design it was only a matter of time. i can't even find the cockpit

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 12:47 AM
link   
It was a robot..

This is like hearing about the death of R2-D2..

well, not really. Still, the craft proved that solar power COULD move a vehicle for months on end, and may have opened the door for a whole new breed of recon aircraft...

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I heard that NASA is going to build another helios and continue the the test flights.

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 07:49 PM
link   
man that is very interesting. i didn't know they could do that

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I wrote a page about it for my website, perhaps a good read for those who never knew there was a solar powered plane

www.air-attack.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2003 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I also thought the plane was flimsy. they are releasing this new one though.

www.boeing.com...

*******EDIT:
The url to the pic doesn't work, but the url I put in this post will bring you to the page the pic is on.

[Edited on 12-7-2003 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jul, 12 2003 @ 02:49 PM
link   
That ScanEalge is indeed another new UAV project (wonder if all those UAV projects are really worth it
)
But you can't really compare is to the helios, since the ScanEagle is not solar-powered...

posted on Jul, 12 2003 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Yes it was an incredible aircraft

posted on Jul, 12 2003 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Just look at the thing, it was never designed to land! They say it was meant to fly continuasly, they might have needed to fix it or bring it down for data purposes. I didn't read the article like a should have, but thats just the first impression I got from your post.

posted on Jul, 12 2003 @ 03:02 PM
link   
They already did some test flights, and it is able to land.
The problem is, the airframe is very fragile(spell??).. It's even more difficult to land than a U-2 spy plane...
It can only operate at minimum winds speeds, a sudden increase in windspeed probably caused the crash, since it was flying over the ocean near Hawaii...

posted on Jul, 12 2003 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Have you gotten your hands on any video footage of this thing? Just wondering since I have never seen it fly. Does it only soar around the west coast?

posted on Jul, 12 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   
No I don't have any footage of it, I saw fly it on discovery once...
Yeah, I believe they only fly it on the weast coast, Hawaii is the only place it flew (as fas as I know).

here are some vids from nasa.gov:

www.dfrc.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

join