It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House passed Kate's law and No Santuary for Criminals Act

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

That number is cherry picked, go back to 2014 and before and the numbers are higher.

And why did you post the same cherry picked number twice?
edit on 29-6-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

People are pointing at the number of deportations reported by ICE. That is not what they are getting excited about?

There hands might have been tied in certain categories, like "children" traveling alone and "dreamers" but they still deported a lot of people and the numbers are not that higher now that their hands are untied.

You do understand that that is the main point I am making? The numbers before and after only look different through rose colored glasses.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

People are pointing at the number of deportations reported by ICE. That is not what they are getting excited about?

Yeah they like it, but I think most would want to make sure they don't come back.

There hands might have been tied in certain categories, like "children" traveling alone and "dreamers" but they still deported a lot of people and the numbers are not that higher now that their hands are untied.

For Ice, I would believe you are right. I don't know of anyone complaining about Obama having them deported. As I have stated they are getting excited because this means that the border issue will be taken more serious than it has in the past.

You do understand that that is the main point I am making? The numbers before and after only look different through rose colored glasses.

No I understand what your point is. The numbers are very close of the immigrants going out. I agree. What I am pointing out to you is that the excitement isn't so much about that, but more of solving the entire problem.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone
Yeah they like it, but I think most would want to make sure they don't come back.

Nobody can make sure of that.

For Ice, I would believe you are right. I don't know of anyone complaining about Obama having them deported. As I have stated they are getting excited because this means that the border issue will be taken more serious than it has in the past.

The point was that everyone says Obama tied ICE's hands by staying those deportations. Those were not included in the numbers that Obama deported, two different groups.

No I understand what your point is. The numbers are very close of the immigrants going out. I agree. What I am pointing out to you is that the excitement isn't so much about that, but more of solving the entire problem.

There are no indicators that that is going to happen.

Kate's law is a perfect example, a change in sentences in an existing law that americans barely even know about and that illegals know even less about is expected to change what?

The thing being paraded is the 38% increase in deportations posted by BlueAjah.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

The point was that everyone says Obama tied ICE's hands by staying those deportations. Those were not included in the numbers that Obama deported, two different groups.

In some ways he did, but for the most part they did deport a lot.

There are no indicators that that is going to happen.

There are no indicators to you. To Trump supporters this indicates it.

Kate's law is a perfect example, a change in sentences in an existing law that americans barely even know about and that illegals know even less about is expected to change what?

The enforcement of that law. A show of strength that he will do what he said he will.

Nobody can make sure of that.

Now that the border patrols hands are untied, it will make it more effective.

edit on 29-6-2017 by 3daysgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
bad reply.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

There are no indicators to you. To Trump supporters this indicates it.

Yes, that is called bias.

The enforcement of that law. A show of strength that he will do what he said he will.

Or political theater that some people are eating up.

Now that the border patrols hands are untied, it will make it more effective.

Border patrol's hand were tied for certain groups. There has been no change in law that changes the situation left by the last admin. Their hands are still tied as far as children on their own and refugees are concerned.

Dreamers are already in the country so the change there doesn't losen up border patrol's proverbial hands.

Nothing significant has changed.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Yes, that is called bias.

So when I see indicators it is biased? I don't believe it is. I believe it is what it is. I see the indicators.

Or political theater that some people are eating up.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree. It is political theater. Trump is playing the part very well.

Border patrol's hand were tied for certain groups. There has been no change in law that changes the situation left by the last admin. Their hands are still tied as far as children on their own and refugees are concerned.

My sources told me that when illegals got caught. They had to take they to the station, document it, then release them.
Now if that is not having your hands tied, nothing is.

Dreamers are already in the country so the change there doesn't losen up border patrol's proverbial hands.

Dreamers are not the problem. It isn't them that want to hurt the country. Sure the group may be infiltrated and used, but until that is discovered dreamers don't represent an immediate threat.

Nothing significant has changed.

Kate's Law just got by congress, if it gets passed the Senate it will take time to determine if there is a change. Anything else on that subject right now is just speculation.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I think ya'll should be a bit more awake to what goes into these laws...What is said to the masses and what is actually in the law are often not heard until after the fact.

There are some many additional provisions added to laws, it's far to easy to say you can support something when you probably don't even know what is in it.

Politicians add all sorts of clauses to bills that have nothing to do with the cause. So I don't think it is right to judge against those who opposed it, or favored it.

If you don't know the full text or don't understand it, don't be so quick to say it's good or bad.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

Criminals belong in prison not in the general population with everyone else.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye
It's a good start.

It's a pity they can't deport all criminals.

They can only deport immigrants.

Bummer.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:55 AM
link   

So when I see indicators it is biased? I don't believe it is. I believe it is what it is. I see the indicators.

You would wouldn't you. This amendment to an existing law is an example of that. It isn't new and it is just a small change in sentences. That isn't an indicator that it will work as a deterrent but here you are saying that it is an indicator of something greater.

ETA: It won't even increase deportations. It will just increase the time in prison and taxpayers money to house them before deporting them.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree. It is political theater. Trump is playing the part very well.

It means you are being fooled by his great performance. Not sure how you took that to be a positive thing.

My sources told me that when illegals got caught. They had to take they to the station, document it, then release them. Now if that is not having your hands tied, nothing is.

Did they tell you why? Where did they release them?

The law actually says that border patrol can tell people to turn around and hop back over the border. I could see them documenting them and then telling them to get back to mexico. That would fit with the law as it has been for over half a century except now there is a paper trail.

If they were released into the US awaiting a hearing then that would probably be some longstanding law as well, although I can't say for sure.

Dreamers are not the problem. It isn't them that want to hurt the country. Sure the group may be infiltrated and used, but until that is discovered dreamers don't represent an immediate threat.

It was an example of something done by Trump which doesn't have anything to do with border patrol having their hands tied or not because they are not people who have recently crossed the border. Many where here before Obama took office.

Kate's Law just got by congress, if it gets passed the Senate it will take time to determine if there is a change. Anything else on that subject right now is just speculation.

No it won't. It is a minor tweak of a standing law.
edit on 30-6-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
No state or local areas should be built that harbor criminals. It is our societies job to stop criminal activity, not protect the offenders.

well....... the 'puppet-traitor' that created the open-border/sanctuary-city mess is out there enjoying himself

(coining a new term

a perpetrator is someone who follows their own inspired acts against others...
but a puppet-traitor is one who commits acts against humanity at the direction of a handler

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Umberto

Links to the full text are posted previously in this thread.

These laws do not solve all of the problems with illegal immigration. They are a good step, and address specific issues. When added to other bills and to Executive Orders ordering agencies to start following existing laws, we might be getting closer to a solution.

edit on 6/30/17 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

originally posted by: allsee4eye
It's a good start.

It's a pity they can't deport all criminals.

They can only deport immigrants.

Bummer.

No these are not immigrants. Immigrants come here legally. these people you refeer to are felons because they broke federal law to get here. If you cross the border and skip the line you are a felon.
The sentences need to be tougher on people coming in after deportation. Make it a death penalty offense.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

No these are not immigrants. Immigrants come here legally. these people you refeer to are felons because they broke federal law to get here. If you cross the border and skip the line you are a felon.
The sentences need to be tougher on people coming in after deportation. Make it a death penalty offense.

Many come legally, then overstay their visas.

Are they still felons?

If you forget to leave the US before the expiry of your visa, do you get the same "tag" as a "murderer" ?

Does that seem right to you?

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
People who overstay their visas are obviously criminals since they broke their contract.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

Actualy it isn't a crime. It is considered an administrative infraction even by ICE.

The disconnect is that people think it is this really bad thing and the people in charge of "prosecuting" see it and treat it like something lower than a parking ticket.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

You seem to be very misinformed about many things on this subject.

ICE’S mission is to protect America from the cross-border crime and illegal immigration that threaten national security and public safety.

Read the rest of their MISSION page to see how many times the word ILLEGAL is used.

ICE

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
You seem to be very misinformed about many things on this subject.

I actually look at the law not a mission statement which vaguely alludes to enforcing 400 immigration statutes.

Parking in a no parking zone is also "illegal" but it isn't a crime, not even a misdemeanor let alone a felony.

The actual law defining what an immigration judge is:

(l) The term immigration judge means an attorney whom the Attorney General appoints as an administrative judge within the Executive Office for Immigration Review, qualified to conduct specified classes of proceedings, including a hearing under section 240 of the Act. An immigration judge shall be subject to such supervision and shall perform such duties as the Attorney General shall prescribe, but shall not be employed by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

And here is the actual law defining their authority:

(1) Authority of immigration judge.-The immigration judge shall administer oaths, receive evidence, and interrogate, examine, and cross-examine the alien and any witnesses. The immigration judge may issue subpoenas for the attendance of witnesses and presentation of evidence. The immigration judge shall have authority (under regulations prescribed by the Attorney General) to sanction by civil money penalty any action (or inaction) in contempt of the judge's proper exercise of authority under this Act.

An administrative judge that can, at most, impose a fine. About the same as a traffic court.

Here is a bit that you probably saw and just glossed over straight from ICE:

Of the 1,378 total arrested, 1,098 were arrested on federal and/or state criminal charges, including 21 individuals arrested on murder related charges and seven for rape and sexual assault charges. The remaining 280 were arrested on administrative immigration violations.

Their own words not just me.
edit on 30-6-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join