It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PA Senate Bill 383 Passed - Guns in school

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Fox43

"Senate Bill 383 passed by a vote of 28-22..."

"Earlier in the week, Sen. Shariff Street (D-Philadelphia) introduced 16 different amendments in a way to make the bill safer. It was condensed to four main points, and approved by a 49-1 vote, in exchange for shorter debate on the Senate floor."

"The legislation would allow school employees who are licensed to carry firearms the ability to store their gun in their classroom or office inside a safe."

I am not entirely sure how I feel about this. Everyone knows tensions run high in schools. I'd put money on the gun being fired at innocent people at some point. My only question is weather it will happen in a city or in the burbs. This may deter people from attacking a school and to stop an attack. It really comes down to which event happens first. I guess we just need the statistics, too bad we have to get them through events.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
And WHEN (not if) A student jumps a teacher and steals a gun. . .

The GUN has to go from PERSON to safe and BACK at some point...
edit on 29-6-2017 by DanteGaland because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland

From inside the safe? That would be a trick. Quit the hyperbole will ya.

SMH

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland

The GUN has to go from PERSON to safe and BACK at some point...

That's some quality fearmongering there, I must admit.

10/10!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DanteGaland

My worry is that one of these inner city school teachers is going to have too much of a kid being a thug one day and shoots him.

It will happen, just a matter of when.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
No, teachers aren't going to start shooting unarmed kids just because they have a safe with a firearm in it.

Firearms don't magically whip everyone within a certain radius into a murderous frenzy any more than a kitchen knife does.

I'm for this- hopefully more than one teacher in a given building does this- and keeps it fairly private.

I'll go so far as to wager a silver piece there won't be any school shootings in these schools, as they're no longer safe shooting target rich environments- the targets could start shooting back.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Yea but there are always people willing to.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Restrictions, and I haven't read the bill yet, should be mandatory backgroung checks, safety training, testing, and responsibility courses along with carrying only permitted on the person at all times. The idea of a safe, or somewhere easily accessed by students, like a locked drawer is not a good place to store said items.

I don't live in PA but I have a PA issued CCW permit and they don't require background checks, at least where I got mine. Not sure if that is statewide.

Seems to me that this law needs to be better defined.
But if that's the way we are headed to protect ourselves from future threats then it is par for the course. I don't think it's a great idea unless the people taking the responsibility and obligation to carry are properly educated and trained.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
A firearm in a safe won't do jack ++++. Any real thug would just wait till after school and jack the teacher on his way home. A little

G42 would be a nice little prize....believe me! imo any teacher that carry's better be very wary.

This bill is just to placate the conservative base and will ultimately get some poor innocent sob killed. Multimillion $$$ lawsuits filed against the school board and administration; Then it will be repealed. oops

edit on 29-6-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: havok
Restrictions, and I haven't read the bill yet, should be mandatory backgroung checks, safety training, testing, and responsibility courses along with carrying only permitted on the person at all times. The idea of a safe, or somewhere easily accessed by students, like a locked drawer is not a good place to store said items.

I don't live in PA but I have a PA issued CCW permit and they don't require background checks, at least where I got mine. Not sure if that is statewide.

Seems to me that this law needs to be better defined.
But if that's the way we are headed to protect ourselves from future threats then it is par for the course. I don't think it's a great idea unless the people taking the responsibility and obligation to carry are properly educated and trained.

You got a CCW license without a background check?

I had to pass like, three different ones, get OK'd by a shrink, take a course, and pay off about six shmucks to get mine...
About a year later they nixed the law saying I needed one, though. Conceal carry is my own personal right!
I still keep it on me, though- probably would look good to have it should I myself in a situation.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
oh, this is going to be good.
I can foresee the future headlines and false flag threads.
every school should follow suit. (not the private schools my relatives attend)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DanteGaland

You missed the part where the gun is in a safe?

With modern biometrics the gun is safe, yet almost instantly accessible by only one person, the teacher.

That this is even considered is a sad testament to our society today. If it's deemed necessary then this is the safest way to do it.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

I'm not sure how I feel about this either. I'm glad they are forced to undergo mental health evaluations, but I do not think that is enough.

If we are going to allow them to bring a firearm in to our classrooms, wouldn't it be reasonable to ask them to also take training courses to give the skills and confidence to use that firearm in a moment of need?

Even well trained police officers can panic when making life or death situations.

Having a regular Joe put in the same situation, with our children in the same room, seems like a recipe for potential disaster.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Training should be understood going into this. No training? No gun in the classroom, period.

That's a no brainer, or so I would hope.

I'm sixes and sevens about this whole idea. In the event, God forbid, of a Columbine type situation, an armed and trained teacher/staff able to respond instantly, or at least quickly could save many lives--even one life would make it worth while to do... But... There are some nightmare scenarios that quickly come to mind, that had better be worked out before this is implemented.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Training should be understood going into this. No training? No gun in the classroom, period.

I have not read the bill in it's entirety, but I would hope they would include a clause referring to the proper training of these people being a requirement.

I'm not current on the laws in PA, but in my state you can get a conceal carry by taking an online class and a small application/fee at the Sheriff's office.

You can get it without ever touching a firearm.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Whether it's in the bill or no, I've not read it in its entirety, either. Any school district thinking of doing this should have that proviso attached, irregardless of the state laws wording. Anything else is insane, for liability issues alone.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Indeed. This is stepping in to an area which creates many liability issues.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I have not read the bill in it's entirety, but I would hope they would include a clause referring to the proper training of these people being a requirement.

I'm not current on the laws in PA, but in my state you can get a conceal carry by taking an online class and a small application/fee at the Sheriff's office.

You can get it without ever touching a firearm.

To obtain my CCW in my state, I had to:
- file all the normal paperwork
- have a photo taken in the police department
- get a full background check
- take a $600.00 training class taught by a former state police officer

In this class we had to:

- demonstrate the proper handling of the weapon
- demonstrate proper load/unload procedure
- demonstrate proper passing of the weapon to someone
- demonstrate proper receiving a weapon from someone (making sure to check if it was loaded immediately even if disassembled)
- demonstrate proper grip for a revolver vs a semi-auto pistol
- take a written exam on all the above
- watch a training video of proper procedures
- go to a firing range to actually fire the weapons, both revolver and semi-auto pistol (to demonstrate we were safe and comfortable firing each type of weapon)

Then wait approx 140 days, while calling the local police department each week to check on the progress.

All to exercise my RIGHT to keep and bear arms for protection of myself and my family.

top topics

join