It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ward Churchill refuses to apologize.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
this seems to be the latest on the Ward Churchill incident...

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/speaker_protest

So it seems Ward doesn't feel he should apologize. i can usually admire someone who sticks to their guns but i just think this guy is a fool and deluded in his thinking.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I hope this guy is fired. He should be relocated to Iraq and handed over to Zarqawi.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This guy also claims to be a Cherokee Indian. This is a lie!

rockymountainnews.com...

[edit on 6-2-2005 by Carseller4]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
An American has the freedom of speech, and when a fellow American says the wrong thing they should expect the consequences.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
[edit on 9-2-2005 by Amuk]

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   

link   

link   
Sorry accidental multi post.

[edit on 7-2-2005 by CazMedia]

link   
accidental multi-post browser spaz

[edit on 7-2-2005 by CazMedia]

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Intelretard says,

when a fellow American says the wrong thing they should expect the consequences.

yet who is determining what is wrong? Is it the politically correct thought police?

I agree that this professor is an extremist.
I understand some of his writtings, tho i generally disagree with them.
BUT
He and his lawyers are correct that he is being "punnished" for expressing his views in an academic setting.
Loosing your job because you dont adhear to political correct ways of thinking and doing is rediculous.

I dont like what this guy has to say, yet i feel he should have the right to say it, ESPECIALLY in an academic environment.
Neither the government, nor his employer should be able to fire him just because he has, or expouses these ideas.

The guy is a wackjob if you ask me, and colleges are too full of these types of professors,
yet
holding his theories up to scrutiny is far better for denial of ignorance, than trying to hide them from such examinations.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Uh, isn't one suppose to use edit if they have more to add to a post instead of "bumping" it to get more points or whatever?

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 03:29 AM
link   
YES, james
one would edit the post which is what i was attempting when for whatever reason, my browser spazzed resulting in the multi post...

I formally apologise for this obvious mistake. Kiss kiss...

Would you care to comment on the thread james, or have you lapsed back into attacking the poster?

If a MOD can help clean this up some by whacking my posts numbered 1150399 thru 415...this will make things neat again.

Again i cant imagine what my comp/browser did to spaz send multi posts in this fashion.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I just looked around for a very good article relating to this stuff, but couldn't find it oh well. I'll kinda paraphrase then:

Asking why there aren't more conservatives in academia is like asking why there aren't more paraplegic swimmers.

The lifestyle of the average professor: substandard pay relative to the work required, difficulty finding a job, often 'bohemian' standards of living, professionalizing in the most esoteric backwaters imaginable, etc etc. These are the sorts of things that appeal very much to the average liberal, but the average conservative has very different values. In general, a conservative will think first of supporting themself and their family, which of course are perfectly admirable values. This is why, IN GENERAL, one sees more liberal/radical types in academia, particularly the humanities. Where you do see conservatives are in business departments.

End paraphrase. That's basically the gist of the article, but there's a lot more to it, sure do wish I could find it. I think it's a pretty good argument, and kinda lines up with my own personal experience. Speaking for myself, I'll be going to grad school in a little over a year. I'll more than likely focus on 19th Century American fiction, and live on raman noodles (like I don't already). Point is, I'm describing a very liberal type of lifestyle. anyway...

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Good for him, an empty apology is worse than no apology at all: it shows total disrespect. Remember when your parents would tell you and your sibling (single kids, you'll just have to trust me) with whom you were fighting to apologize? When you said it, did you mean it?

Seriously, all this PC mumbo jumbo of you hurt my feelings, now apologize to me publicly, I want revenge stuff is crazy. He should pay the consequences for his words (private industry is not bound by the first ammendment -- they can fire you for whatever if state law allows) but not be forced to publicly humiliate himself by going before a crowd an lying about something he believes, and obviously very deeply.

For the record, though, how can this guy share a name with Winston Churchill...He moved to a country he wants to see destroyed? Can I have some of what he's smoking?

EDIT: Wow, 7 multiposts, and they all look different? That's really odd...How did your computer figure out the whole quote /quote tag placement?

[edit on 2-9-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I think I got it straightened out Caz

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by astroblade
"I'm not backing up an inch."

Good. He has every right to be a stupid moron. I'm serious too, the guys a jackoff, but he has a right to be so, and most certainly can't be fired for being an asshole. Those people in that building were not responsible for the arabs being down trodden.And then he claims that the janitors are not responsible. Without them, the building could not operate, infact, unionized janitors can strike, whereas white collar workers can't organize and do anything about the business.

This guy also claims to be a Cherokee Indian. This is a lie!

Who gives a damn! Is it really necessary to villify someone who's already done a good enough job of it himself? Concern over b/s like that is what makes this guy look like he has a point. He expressed an unpopular opinion, and now he's being vilified in the press for irrelevant matters and propaganda machines are starting up against him. Elected officials are pressuring schools not to allow him to guest lecture, why? There's a lot of freaks in academia. Allowing him to speak, at least when there was a prior commitment to have him speak, does far more than 'censoring' him.

Loosing your job because

He has not lost his position or his job. He willfully resigned from his position as dean. I thought he wasn't going to back down? So did he do it on his own or was he pressured? I say he did it on his own, since he obviously isn't 'backing down'. Teh school is reviewing his position, but they haven't fired him, why the heck shouldn't they review his position? Maybe the guy's lost his mind, maybe he's enough of a nut that he really shouldn't be paid to teach, but that can't be revealed until his job is reviewed anyway.

hold his theories uo to scrutiny is far better for denial of ignorance

Verrily, this is true. Anyone listening to him, anyone given the oppurtunity to listen to him, is going to think 'man, what a horrible little man'.

Where you do see conservatives are in business departments.

I have to say I've known a number of, well, at least 'not liberal' professors. A large part of the problem supposedly is that during Vietnam lots of people entered academia in order to avoid the draft. Tho this is usually said to have resulted in more of a problem of having incompetent and unmotivated high school teachers than anything.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Carseller, Churchill is NDN. AIM. Cherokees believe in the value of ethnic, political, and religious diversity and so the opinions of our People range from Ross to Ridge, from Conservative to Liberal.

In his own words:

"The bottom line of my argument is that the best and perhaps only way to prevent 9-1-1-style attacks on the U.S. is for American citizens to compel their government to comply with the rule of law".

Man, the gall. Advocating the rule of law. What a concept...

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Junglejake says,

private industry is not bound by the first ammendment -- they can fire you for whatever if state law allows
This i must disagree....we wouldnt put up with this crap from the government, which generally doesnt have as much daily influence on our lives than your employer does...

We the people shouldnt allow corporations to take our rights away any more than we would the govenrment. We should allow them LESS ability to do so than the governmwnt has.

To me it seems that coprporate rights are more important than citizen rights, and this should not be allowed to stand. (man am i sounding like this teacher dude now?
)

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
quote from the article - 'I do not work for taxpayers'

Okay .. this wingnut works for the University of Colorado, right?
Someone educate me on this ... don't state colleges get funding,
in part, from the state? If so, then tax payers DO pay for the
school and his salary, through taxes - at least in part.

The parents of the children sent to school there pay taxes. He
works for them. Hence, he IS AGAIN working for taxpayers.

Isn't his 15 minutes of fame up yet?? He doesn't deserve news
time let alone a standing ovation from a bunch of college lefties
who haven't been out in the real world yet. I wonder if he would
be so brave (stupid) to stand up in front of the audience if the
families of the 9/11 victims were there. You know ... the ones
he said weren't really civilians (they were, 'of a sort') and that
they were a legitimate target?? I wonder if he'd be so brave
to spout his garbage in front of them? I wonder if that audience
would be so brave as to give him a standing 'o' if the families
were in the room. If the three year old child of Todd Beamer
were sitting right next to them. IDIOTS.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join