It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal info accessed way too easily on the internet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   
It's very disturbing. I try to keep a pretty small footprint. Don't use Facebook or Twitter. This is only social media I use.
Last night I type my name into Google and there is all my info. Even my home address. Type in my wife and same thing. It's from when we registered to vote.
It also shows other people on my street, their age, and their address.
I think it's bull#.
I'm pretty sure I didn't consent to that info being made public when I registered.
Sucks.
I wonder if it is just some strange rule in my state that when you register it goes up.

You ever search yourself?

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

If I Google my name, John Skieswanne, I don't get anything else than my articles and posts. No address, not even my age.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I try to maintain a very small online footprint. Also helps that I have the same name as a famous person, so even that little footprint I have gets lost easily in a search.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   

I've never never used my real name on any site,so when i googled my name only very few people came up,a few American women iirc.I never use FB or Twitter,i've never voted in all my life because all the options have been atrocious thus far,and i only use this site and one other,a site for which i use an alias,because i show my face around there sometimes.Could you have you+wife's names and info removed maybe? So much identity theft going on all the time,i would also not have my details on the net.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Oh you have a wonderfully magickal sounding name
I love it,awesome

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Same.

Name. Addresses. Phone number. Sex offender registry. Mug shots. Parole hearings. Lady Gaga fan club membership.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Gaga is awesome
Truth

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Tried it first time after reading your post and noone seems to care about my personal info

edit on 29-6-2017 by Whatever08152 because: typos

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
You must have an extremely unusual name, because if I Google myself, I get :
An artist.
Canadian politician.
A Wildlife Foundation.
Doctors.
Lawyers.
An actor
Umpires.
A Cricket player
....and many, many others. Me personally? I guess I'm in there somewhere. Probably on page 10,000,002

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

We knew this was coming.
For the most part, ATS is the only site I regularly use.
Two others for buying/selling stuff.
I click on the odd link here and there on this site but not every one.
Use a crappy old laptop for you tube instead of putting the TV on.

I made the mistake of having a bare bones fakebook profile but it was useless to me so, after multiple attempts, I deleted it. My real name isn't exactly unique but its far from common and last time I had to look my name up for some reason, there were five fakebook profiles in my name but I've forgotten my password and don't want to reactivate my profile anyway.

I'd like to know who the hell put them on there?

Everything else was work related from a previous job. I only use my phone for ATS because I find trying to log in on the laptop impossible. Without logging in this site was so riddled with ads and auto-start videos etc it was totally unusable. My email address doesn't get given out and is mainly there to log into the sites I do use, I've recently signed up to one other site but haven't posted much. Just got started.

At first I kind of got annoyed about all the info that you could find about me but then I decided that I could use it to my advantage. If half of it is demonstrably false, it gives my plausible deniability over anything that may prove uncomfortable at a future date.

Its my opinion that this was coming right from day one. Maybe I'm paranoid from watching too much sci-fi with dystopian futures etc but, having avoided being online until it became a necessity , its a bit disheartening. But, in the end, if they want to get you, they will.

Sent direct from Airstrip one.
edit on 29-6-2017 by Tulpa because: Added 1984 reference

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
The answer is to have the same name as somebody better known (I share my name with a fairly prominent sculptor).
Then the entries relating to the other person will drown out all the entries relating to you, and not even your friends will be able to find you.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
As a media whore, I spend thousands of $$$ to establish a brand and promote myself for gigs. Personal info web access is a necessity.

edit on 29-6-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
It's very disturbing. I try to keep a pretty small footprint. Don't use Facebook or Twitter. This is only social media I use.
Last night I type my name into Google and there is all my info. Even my home address. Type in my wife and same thing. It's from when we registered to vote.
It also shows other people on my street, their age, and their address.
I think it's bull#.
I'm pretty sure I didn't consent to that info being made public when I registered.
Sucks.
I wonder if it is just some strange rule in my state that when you register it goes up.

I found my ex was living with some guy when she slipped an address she thought I didnt know, as she told me it was her girly friends place. turns out it was the guy who she had been seeing before we broke up.

I can find voting records, phone numbers, addresses current and previos, family members etc etc.

But only the US... which is odd..
you guys..

I've even found court records of people I know, from the US.

Family births, deaths and other notices.

Makes DOXXING so easy sometimes.. if you are so inclined..

giggity.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
You all miss the point. You may use anon names. But not every one does. You can use a name from 1995, with information about you on some comment section. Then 1998, that same name with a new email address linked somewhere. Then 2001 with that email address linked to different information. then 2005 with some of those details linked to a new net name, then 2007 with that net name linked to a new email, and that email then links to yet more information. that information then leads to a name, a place. from there, in 2013 you still use it, but all of the information behind it with google as it is now, leads to google street view. your dog, your siblings, your first car, your hobbies, your likes/dislikes, you are easy to find.

2017, you claim the NSA is onto you, but you gave it all out yourselves... crazy..

Damn, I made more than one idiot run off usenet back in the day, today it's much easier.

ask my ex. (ex ex that is, not the one referenced above lol but everyone is lazy so...)

edit on 29/6/2017 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
The answer is to have the same name as somebody better known (I share my name with a fairly prominent sculptor).
Then the entries relating to the other person will drown out all the entries relating to you, and not even your friends will be able to find you.

On a forum such as this, yes. But it all depends. I have no desire to lurk you. but if it were another forum and there was just a tad more detail (as there often is) ... all it takes is a breadcrumb.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
My Facebook profile only has a picture of our cat. Keep getting messages from Linkedin as to why I won't put up a passport photograph of myself.

Totally horrified today, when I found out my smartphone phone list had been sucked up to Google Hangouts and appeared on my desktop PC when I did a search for a local shop's telephone number. Suddenly a list of all my telephone numbers dialled from 5 years ago appeared on my screen.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Frequently...In 2 years, 5 years 10 years...even if you die and post nothing cause youre dead...it'll still show up your past and still living relatives....

Try this for a scare...search your post today at GOOGLE by TInySickTears/Personal Info/ATS...or any similar combination...and youll pop up in result...

A smaller social-contact imprint means nothing...as long as youre online, get emails, phone and tablet texts, have electric, gas, water service, mail form the Post Office....all can be located....and your High school College lists grads by year, prescriptions, voting...you name it? Youre here for good. Even when youre dead...

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

I guarantee you if I had your name, I can get all your addresses past and up to date, possible relatives by name...and a lot more...even if youve never touched the internet.

Give me your name...and 3 seconds and I can get it all. (*DONT please...please! Dont give me your real name. I was just making a point)

MS

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf
You all miss the point. You may use anon names. But not every one does. You can use a name from 1995, with information about you on some comment section. Then 1998, that same name with a new email address linked somewhere. Then 2001 with that email address linked to different information. then 2005 with some of those details linked to a new net name, then 2007 with that net name linked to a new email, and that email then links to yet more information. that information then leads to a name, a place. from there, in 2013 you still use it, but all of the information behind it with google as it is now, leads to google street view. your dog, your siblings, your first car, your hobbies, your likes/dislikes, you are easy to find.

2017, you claim the NSA is onto you, but you gave it all out yourselves... crazy..

Damn, I made more than one idiot run off usenet back in the day, today it's much easier.

ask my ex. (ex ex that is, not the one referenced above lol but everyone is lazy so...)

That's the same thing you can do with Youtube videos or photos when you want to find the location of a picture. It might just look like a regular average street that's lost somewhere in the world. Somewhere like the Eiffel Tower, Edinburgh Castle or the Grand Canyon is easy to locate, but a side street would seem to be anonymous.

Even if there are no road or street signs, there might be the unique name of a local store that can be looked up on the Internet, a bus in the background with a route number, an otherwise unidentifiable pub except for the name of a special guest or event on the outdoor blackboard, which can be looked up on Facebook (eg. Mungo's Bingo). I've found the location of one video simply because it had unique architectural features like pomegranate shaped bollards on the streets (Granada, Spain). Even if a location isn't accessible by Google Streetview, a chain store webpage will have a list of all possible locations, which can be checked off by a matter of elimination. The telephone number on the side of a van or car number plates will provide clues as will the angle of shadows from the Sun.

In Norway, I could do a reverse lookup of a telephone number and it would show me the front door of the residence.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
If you use your user name on anyother site; any halfassed, high school hacker could trace you down along with your extended family, employer, everything.

Thanks Google, Apple and microsoft.

edit on 29-6-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join