posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 10:30 PM
This afternoon I had to drop by the laundromat where a relative works. As we stood in her office, surrounded on two sides by plate glass windows,
there was an earth-shaking, window-bending explosion. I was very pleasantly surprised when they didn't explode. People poured from every
surrounding building. We were only a block from the university's motor pool so my first thought was that some volatile substance had exploded there.
But we saw no sign of black smoke from our perspective.
It turned out to be a gas leak at one of the dorms on campus and thankfully there were apparently no serious injuries. The damage to building is
really nasty and it has been reported that there were lots of shattered windows in the surrounding university buildings.
It was enough to get the adrenaline flowing and my emergency drill training to kick in. I was slightly amazed that most of the people inside the
main building had run to the front of the building---solid plate glass windows that they had just seen nearly come out of their frames. A few had
fled to the parking lot. One lady that had been exiting the back door, was blown back inside by the force of the blast. BUT, the fact that she had
the door open at that instant probably saved the glass in the building because the front door was propped open so the force went through the
My first thought was to get people away from the windows in case there was another blast. Before I could even articuate the thought my relative was
calling to them to move away from the windows.
Here is a link to the story on a local tv station
I've just heard that the one student who was injured was airlifted to a Nashville burn center. My thoughts and prayers are with all those having to
deal with this. And very thankful that the dorms are basically unoccupied this time of year.