It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KaBOOM! I was at the laundromat.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
This afternoon I had to drop by the laundromat where a relative works. As we stood in her office, surrounded on two sides by plate glass windows, there was an earth-shaking, window-bending explosion. I was very pleasantly surprised when they didn't explode. People poured from every surrounding building. We were only a block from the university's motor pool so my first thought was that some volatile substance had exploded there. But we saw no sign of black smoke from our perspective.

It turned out to be a gas leak at one of the dorms on campus and thankfully there were apparently no serious injuries. The damage to building is really nasty and it has been reported that there were lots of shattered windows in the surrounding university buildings.

It was enough to get the adrenaline flowing and my emergency drill training to kick in. I was slightly amazed that most of the people inside the main building had run to the front of the building---solid plate glass windows that they had just seen nearly come out of their frames. A few had fled to the parking lot. One lady that had been exiting the back door, was blown back inside by the force of the blast. BUT, the fact that she had the door open at that instant probably saved the glass in the building because the front door was propped open so the force went through the building.

My first thought was to get people away from the windows in case there was another blast. Before I could even articuate the thought my relative was calling to them to move away from the windows.

Here is a link to the story on a local tv station :www.wpsdlocal6.com...

I've just heard that the one student who was injured was airlifted to a Nashville burn center. My thoughts and prayers are with all those having to deal with this. And very thankful that the dorms are basically unoccupied this time of year.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

I can imagine the adrenaline rush... Also glad that you made it unharmed and wrote us this story. And even helped others, emergency training and all, i would have probably just sat there and cried or something.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

My cousin is a freshman at Murray and this is all she's been talking about on social media.

Craziness.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks
Pretty big news in a small town. It has certainly made a big mess of traffic on the north side of town. I'm sure all the local social media sites are lit up. Lots of folks must have gotten lots of video footage because everyone we could see was holding up a cell phone. I don't own a cell phone and my relative, in her concern for getting her patrons to safety had left hers on the desk. Her boss called about a minute after the blast. He was 3 miles north of it and it shook his house and rattled the windows and doors. His first thought was the construction site half a block away.

Reports say that the blast happened on the south side of the building. We were two blocks away and a bit southeast so the force was dissipated by the buildings and distance but according to the lady who got knocked back into the building, it probably would have knocked her down had she not been holding onto the laundry cart.

By the time we had checked to make sure that the building was safe, (the dryers run on gas) and made sure everything was okay it was time for her to close up the office so we made our getaway before the traffic could get any worse.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Wow! That must have been surreal. I'm so glad you're still here to tell the tale -- and that no one else was hurt (or worse) as well. It could have been tragic. So BIG thanks for small wonders!

top topics

join