It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Matt Bevin publicly signs bill allowing Kentucky's public schools to teach the Bible

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Regardless of whatever role the bible may have played in American history, of course Christian teachers are going to go beyond the historical aspect and push the content as truth. It doesn't matter whether or not it is true; there's a thing called separation of church and state. If you want religion, you're free to go practice at any place of worship you want, whenever you want. You're also free to NOT be subjected to said religion if you don't want to be. Forcing children to listen to christian indoctrination is a clear and blatant violation of this.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm
There are already schools for this, it's called church. So if people elect to take these classes they can just go to church.
Spend that money on classes that will teach these kids something that is usefull for real life in their futures .

Exactly. I'm in the minority, in that I actually taught myself what I needed to learn after I was out of school. A lot of people dont have the motivation or want to learn much more, and it angers me that kids are being pushed out into the world lacking any real knowledge about it.

It also grinds my gears that there is obviously money for this, but not money to make sure everyone has a normal education, in the same state that gave $18 million in tax breaks to a creationist museum.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
a reply to: underwerks

So reading cultist books to children is cool with them but... they still bitch about black history month and reproductive education?

Welcome to the south.

You're preaching to the choir. (Pun intended)

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

That video clip should be admissible evidence in court as evidence of intent, the prayer: "...this blessing that would come as your word gets to go to children..." The intent seems quite clear.

Our Gospel lesson for the day will be from Matthew Chapter six, verses five and six. Please stand for the reading of the Gospel.

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

But seriously, I doubt that the course will be anything like the intent behind the book Bulfinch's Mythology.

Bulfinch expressly intended his work for the general reader. In the preface to The Age of Fable he states "Our work is not for the learned, nor for the theologian, nor for the philosopher, but for the reader of English literature, of either sex, who wishes to comprehend the allusions so frequently made by public speakers, lecturers, essayists, and poets, and those which occur in polite conversation."
wikipedia

Now if the textbooks and syllabi had an intent such as Bulfinch's, no problem or objection from me. but alas, such will not be the case. A Courting we shall go!

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

States have some leeway in the interpretation of the constitution the bill of rights and other federal laws.

Marijuana is illegal federally but not in all states.
2nd amendment, shall not infringe. Some states and cities infringe to the excess.

I'm not sure where this type of thing falls legally.

I totally forget immigration laws, how many states blatantly violate those?

edit on 28-6-2017 by Bluntone22 because: Eta

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Science belongs in school, religion belongs in Sunday school-simple as that.

I was raised in a small community and somehow Bible school was curriculum, and I swear on my mother's ashes that every Tuesday we used to chant 'Jesus loves me yes i know' as the local fanatical crackpot came in and recited scriptures like Kenneth Copeland on sedatives, hell one time I was excluded from the class and was told to sit in the office until the 'sermon' was over because I laughed.

Small communities breed small minds sometimes which is why I high tailed it out there when I was sixteen.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
Small communities breed small minds sometimes which is why I high tailed it out there when I was sixteen.

This x1000. I love my family and where I'm from, but it's always been a love-hate relationship with the area because of the type of thinking (or lack thereof) that seems so common in people.

Sometimes you just want to grab people and shake them.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

“It really did set the foundation that our founding fathers used to develop documents like the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights," said Rep. D.J. Johnson

So they're changing history to suit their agenda...

Stupid. Separation of Church & State, is that so hard to understand?

for right-wing christian conservatives, it's not possible

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Wait till the Satanic Bible is allowed to be taught in public schools.

Fun times.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Wait till the Satanic Bible is allowed to be taught in public schools.

Fun times.

I don't know, this is Kentucky. I had a hard time trying to explain to my dad that modern day satanists don't sacrifice children and drink blood and rape and kill.

And I still got laughed at and dismissed. Most people still take the Bible literally around there.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Id rather kids learn about God in schools but also in their homes, id rather see kids gathering together to talk about God than sinking in the devils nest, ppl who knows God they can understand whats going on, why are kids so focused to grow up as early as they can, skipping childhood in very short period of time, why are kids so depressed and becoming numb to the world, why so much immorality among so young, why so many extreme cases coming all around the world, it all sounds lack of something, imma guess that something gotta do with spirituality and what not.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: romilo
Id rather kids learn about God in schools but also in their homes, id rather see kids gathering together to talk about God than sinking in the devils nest, ppl who knows God they can understand whats going on, why are kids so focused to grow up as early as they can, skipping childhood in very short period of time, why are kids so depressed and becoming numb to the world, why so much immorality among so young, why so many extreme cases coming all around the world, it all sounds lack of something, imma guess that something gotta do with spirituality and what not.

That's the thing though, they aren't teaching about God, they're teaching about religion.

There's a big difference between God and religions that have been perverted over thousands of years into control systems by men.

In my opinion, at least.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Why not something useful, like a comparative religion class? It was one of my most interesting classes in college, and it's something I would have enjoyed in high school.

If this is only going to be study of a single religious text, what's the point? I had enough of that from church twice on Sunday and once on Wednesday. I'm guessing the students that will take this elective bible class are also getting massive doses of the word outside of school hours.

edit on 28-6-2017 by icanteven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I get your points and somewhat agree, but honestly, unless I'm incorrect, the course is an "elective", which would probably only be chosen by children of hated Christians anyway. No school system in the US would be stupid enough to try to force feed religious anything on the students. They don't even allow prayer at assembly's. Its all been washed out.

The second thing to know is that you could have the most influential preacher on the planet preaching across the street from the school and by the time the leftist educators at the school are done with their PC and anti-religion indoctrination, the kids wouldn't believe anything anyone, including their parents, tell them. And they start the propagandization in Kindergarten. So I highly doubt some backwater elective course will get much in the way of any dangerous traction.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: icanteven

Why not something useful, like a comparative religion class? It was one of my most interesting classes in college, and it's something I would have enjoyed in high school.

If this is only going to be study of a single religious text, what's the point? I had enough of that from church twice on Sunday and once on Wednesday. I'm guessing the students that will take this elective bible class are also getting massive doses of the word outside of school hours.

Comparative religion would be a great class to have in high school, though I doubt the people behind implementing this would want to "compare" religions.

It seems they want to indoctrinate, more than anything.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Same difference in East Texas. no brains, all meth and booze and DWI and jail and rinse, repeat until its time to be hauled off to TDC (Texas Department of Corrections).

You know you're truly from Vidor when a relative asks you to help them move and your job is to take the wheels off.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: romilo

That's the thing though, they aren't teaching about God, they're teaching about religion.

There's a big difference between God and religions that have been perverted over thousands of years into control systems by men.

In my opinion, at least.

You are obviously right, there are so many painful examples how church and priesthood been corrupted and have been used as the very tool it self to corrupt mankind spiritual evolution. The very same thing can be said about our governing systems and its "priests" as politicians, i think how government systems are suppose to be the uniting factor and therefor guiding us in the future stuff but it is painfully obvious how the whole system is rigged to divide us and therefor misguide our common path.

Its kinda easy to throw solutions as ideas but in our reality we have balanced of the scales quite bit so that simple solutions couldnt necessary work anymore, like in looking all of it simple way we see lack of spirituality and lack of true leadership, most easy way would be to replace the heads and hearts in these positions, re- direct right kinda of ppl there, perhaps fighting for one president or believing in priesthood rather than living with the God is not the correct way to find what we are looking for, those seem to be more for the "entertaining" minds than actual reality folk.

I guess i try to point out that we need true spiritual understanding/awakening process that actually lives and grows within us and also we need leaders that actually understand things like that being a leader is to raise a family of leaders.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Maybe they can do a better job of teaching the history and lessons on love and war than Christians.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Same difference in East Texas. no brains, all meth and booze and DWI and jail and rinse, repeat until its time to be hauled off to TDC (Texas Department of Corrections).

You know you're truly from Vidor when a relative asks you to help them move and your job is to take the wheels off.

I've got that beat. I actually know someone that lives in a mobile home with a basement.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: romilo

All good points. Anything truly spiritual can't and shouldn't be taught in a classroom. It's a journey of personal discovery.

I see the teaching of religion as taking away from the true nature of what's trying to be taught.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join