It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Henry Cornelius Agrippa of Nettesheim

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Would I be right in assuming that majority of the present day occult/esoteric teachings originate from Henry Cornelius Agrippa books of Occult Philosophy (im including the 4th book as well)
Just wondering
edit on 27-6-2017 by DpatC because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-6-2017 by DpatC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DpatC

No.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Nope. It's due to man's ego and the pursuit of power and cash.

Then, and now.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Cornelius only wrote of what he learned from others, his "teachings" were only parroted and thus do not originate with him but rather predate him.

also he eventually regretted those books and denounced them as sinful rubbish.

"In the Third Book of Occult Philosophy, Agrippa concludes with:[6]

But of magic I wrote whilst I was very young three large books, which I called Of Occult Philosophy, in which what was then through the curiosity of my youth erroneous, I now being more advised, am willing to have retracted, by this recantation; I formerly spent much time and costs in these vanities. At last I grew so wise as to be able to dissuade others from this destruction. For whosoever do not in the truth, nor in the power of God, but in the deceits of devils, according to the operation of wicked spirits presume to divine and prophesy, and practising through magical vanities, exorcisms, incantions and other demoniacal works and deceits of idolatry, boasting of delusions, and phantasms, presently ceasing, brag that they can do miracles, I say all these shall with Jannes, and Jambres, and Simon Magus, be destinated to the torments of eternal fire."

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: pryingopen3rdeye

Cornelius only wrote of what he learned from others, his "teachings" were only parroted and thus do not originate with him but rather predate him.

also he eventually regretted those books and denounced them as sinful rubbish.

"In the Third Book of Occult Philosophy, Agrippa concludes with:[6]

But of magic I wrote whilst I was very young three large books, which I called Of Occult Philosophy, in which what was then through the curiosity of my youth erroneous, I now being more advised, am willing to have retracted, by this recantation; I formerly spent much time and costs in these vanities. At last I grew so wise as to be able to dissuade others from this destruction. For whosoever do not in the truth, nor in the power of God, but in the deceits of devils, according to the operation of wicked spirits presume to divine and prophesy, and practising through magical vanities, exorcisms, incantions and other demoniacal works and deceits of idolatry, boasting of delusions, and phantasms, presently ceasing, brag that they can do miracles, I say all these shall with Jannes, and Jambres, and Simon Magus, be destinated to the torments of eternal fire."

According to the biography of Agrippa, he lived under the authority of the Church and he ran into trouble. More than likely he was forced to recant rather than having really altered his beliefs.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DpatC
Would I be right in assuming that majority of the present day occult/esoteric teachings originate from Henry Cornelius Agrippa books of Occult Philosophy (im including the 4th book as well)
Just wondering

Modern day Esoteric teachings come from hermetic orders such as the Golden Dawn. They took bits from the Rosicrucians and freemasons and added even more qabalistic dogma to it. Western Esoteric systems are considered to be mostly qabbalah based.

I hasten to say that occultists use the qaballah to suit their own objectives; which is very different to what Qaballah represents in Judaism.

I got rid of my Agrippa book a very long time ago. It had the same flavour as all books written in the middle ages; where alchemy and conjurations were the order of the day.

edit on 29-8-2017 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join