It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voter ID, are there any good arguments against it other than fraud?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Voter ID is a topic that intrigues me. It's common sense and the fact that it's not a law in all states already surprises me. When this topic comes up, the word "racist" creeps in. I'd love to hear the argument for that, as it's not rooted in reality by any stretch of the imagination. The only reason I can see to oppose voter ID is the willful want to commit fraud. If there is a good reason why someone should be allowed to vote without proving who they are, I'd like to hear it.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I've heard every excuse from "racist" to "it's too expensive for low income people". It's not racist and I don't see how it can be if everyone has to have one to vote and 2nd, just make it extremely cheap or free for low income people. Any other excuses are just that...excuses.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Simply that in many GOP controlled states when Voter ID laws are put in to place they also make it harder for certain demographics to get them, mostly poor or minority groups that are unlikely to vote GOP in the first place. They close places that issue IDs in areas that have large groups that of people unlikely to vote GOP. The removed certain IDs that used to be good enough and add others that are harder to obtain and may cost money to get copies made.

Democrats are not against having IDs. IDs should be free and easy to get for citizens. The amount of extra baggage the GOP is adding is the problem.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

How do people bank or gain employment without a basic ID? Even Government benefits require some form of ID. I think this is just an excuse.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

How can there be millions of people too poor to go and get government benefits and all that sort of assistance, and will have the mobility / ID / Internet to get it, and would have the mobility and communications to get out to vote, but not being able to get an ID???

That whole argument just sounds insane to me.

edit on 27-6-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Sure there's a good argument. Democrats will lose votes...duh!

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

How do people bank or gain employment without a basic ID? Even Government benefits require some form of ID. I think this is just an excuse.

Pre paid debit cards and under the table work.

Source: I've been poor and homeless with no ID.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Voter ID's would be the death-knock for the extremist left Democrats - without their sock puppets and dead folks, they would likely only amass about 30-40 votes (in total from a pool of 130+ million).

There is no logical argument to the requirement to present ID to vote.

If not, then I will vote in your next election - why do some non-US citizens get to vote in the US elections but not other non-US citizens? - this is the epitome' of bigoted intolerance - the legacy of the Democratic party.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Because the Democrats switched their business model from outright slavery to food stamp slavery years ago.
Keep us in charge and we'll give you just enough to survive.
Voter ID will lose the democrats a lot of votes and also a lot of influence because getting ID will set up a chain reaction of responsibility.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Here's a good video showing what opponents of voter ID laws actually think about African Americans getting ID. And what actual African Americans in Harlem have to say about having ID.

Tends to show where the actual racists are.
edit on 27-6-2017 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I think even those arguing against having to show an ID to vote, know they are wrong. It's just another talking point to keep everyone at each others throats, or a product of the people who think people here illegally should vote to benefit their side.

Both parties have ridiculous nonsense to keep people divided. It's the division they truly want.

It makes zero sense to be opposed to voters showing ID. It's a false unwinnable argument to make and the racist crap is just the knee jerk response when someone is trying to defend an indefensible, illogical position. Those kinds of responses are fed to them by their party leaders, who know how nuts that position is.

Both sides do this sort of thing.
edit on 6/27/2017 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

I wasn't going to have a drink today, but after watching that I need one. Remind me who the Muth***** racists are again? The SJWs keep telling us it's white Americans, and they may have a ppint. Every one of those young, " enlightened" WHITE kids seem to believe blacks are too pitiful and dumb to help themselves. Amazing

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Ya that one. I'd feel like such a racist bluddering jackasshole if I were a liberal always carrying on with this "voter ID is racist" BS and then saw that.

Get a grip people.

And whoever these people too poor to get an ID, if they exist, what percentage of them would even know an election was going on let a alone give a shia'ite about it in the first place ?

(and nevermind how would they even know who to vote for!!!)
edit on 27-6-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Dude I remember 20 years ago in Michigan having a cop tell me its illegal to even be out in public without an ID.

Part of growing up is getting an ID, even if not a drivers license.

And if you're that out of your mind IQ 60 should you be voting in the first place?

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Excellent thread spotlighting an issue that needs serious change.

I fully advocate voter ID laws and actually think that is what will happened.

I mean, we have existing networks already for other institutions, this can be remedied pretty easily imho.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

How about.....

Russia hacked our elections......

Voter ID is Racist?????

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
I think even those arguing against having to show an ID to vote, know they are wrong. It's just another talking point to keep everyone at each others throats, or a product of the people who think people here illegally should vote to benefit their side.

Both parties have ridiculous nonsense to keep people divided. It's the division they truly want.

It makes zero sense to be opposed to voters showing ID. It's a false unwinnable argument to make and the racist crap is just the knee jerk response when someone is trying to defend an indefensible, illogical position. Those kinds of responses are fed to them by their party leaders, who know how nuts that position is.

Both sides do this sort of thing.

Bravo sir! I wholeheartedly agree.
Second.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

How can there be millions of people too poor to go and get government benefits and all that sort of assistance, and will have the mobility / ID / Internet to get it, and would have the mobility and communications to get out to vote, but not being able to get an ID???

That whole argument just sounds insane to me.

You stole my thunder.

To answer the OP, no.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

The main argument against voter ID is that it doesn't actually do anything. The only thing it provides is the illusion of security, which in effect means people become complacent and don't see the cheating in elections that actually occurs.

Other than that, it's basically just Democrats taking an opposition view because they need to disagree with Republicans.
edit on 27-6-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

This is false. As has been pointed out in numerous threads about this, in some states, such as PA all you have to do is show up and identify yourself as someone that's on the voter rolls. They look for the name you gave and if it's there, they don't ask for ID. That means all you have to do to commit voter fraud is walk in and say you're someone else that you know is registered. If everyone had to produce ID to prove they are a registered voter, this method of fraud would be largely eliminated.

It actually does do something. But more is needed, such as verifying the voter rolls every election to remove people who have died or moved. There are lots of things that can, and should be done, but are claimed to be "racist" by the people that would lose votes if this was done (Democrats).
edit on 27 6 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join