It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First ‘visual binary' Supermassive Black Holes Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
In a Galaxy far far away , 750 million light-years to be precise , reside two supermassive black holes left orbiting each other following a meeting of their respective Galaxies , not only do scientists have the data to show their existence they also have this rather lovely picture of the couple engaged in their dance , which makes this the first visual sighting of a Supermassive Black Hole binary.

VLBA image of the central region of the galaxy 0402+379, showing the two cores, labeled C1 and C2, identified as a pair of supermassive black holes in orbit around each other.
public.nrao.edu...

It's estimated the combined mass of the binary supermassive Black Holes is 15 billion times that of the Sun and that they are seperatated by as little as 24 light-years , their orbital period is about 30,000 years.
edit on 27-6-2017 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Those scales are just mind blowing and awe inspiring. Supermassive indeed.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

"If you imagine a snail on the recently-discovered Earth-like planet orbiting Proxima Centauri - 4.243 light years away - moving at 1 cm a second, that's the angular motion we're resolving here," said Roger W. Romani, professor of physics at Stanford University and member of the research team.

"What we've been able to do is a true technical achievement over this 12-year period using the VLBA to achieve sufficient resolution and precision in the astrometry to actually see the orbit happening," said Taylor. "It's a bit of triumph in technology to have been able to do this."

phys.org - Gr oundbreaking discovery confirms existence of orbiting supermassive black holes.

How's that for a quote?!!

My mind boggles with masses and distances when it comes to supermassive BHs. When these things are measured in light hours or light days?!?! Let alone 15 billion solar masses.

Great persistence in the team doing a 12 year survey to see that "snail move on Proxima Centari"!! That is cool science.

S+F, as always for these wild discoveries!

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Nice find!

Sped up(?) older simulation of the "dance".

Binary Black Hole Orbit Graphic Simulation

edit on 27-6-2017 by dreamingawake because: the*

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Imagine the energy beetwen these holes, just amazing how huuuge something could be. And that is only 0,1% of our knowledge. Numbers are incredible. I have no words, really.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
The G -acceleration from being in close orbit around the sun is something like 27G, or 27*9.8 (~ 270) meters/second per second. Each black hole has 7.5 billion as much mass as the Sun, so the acceration is 7.5 billion x 27G / (distance / solar radii)^2. I can't figure out the exact amount just now, but the G force is obviously going to be in the billions or hundreds of millions beyond the midpoint of those two black holes.

At the midpoint, the G force will be zero. So in theory, you could launch a space probe that went right between the two or had a figure of eight orbit.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Binary! How dare they assume it's gender!.. I kid.

That scale is crazy. Just thinking about a black hole 15 million times larger than the sun just chilling in space, devouring everything gets my anxiety going.

top topics

join