It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zero - an alien concept that could shatter the framework of Christianity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
A belief in nothing is a belief in something - an alien concept that can shatter the framework of Christianity - Zero, the biography of a very dangerous idea ... great book --
I dont profit from sales of this nor am I trying to rock the foundations of worldwide belief, it's just a great book that I've recently finished

www.amazon.co.uk...

Oh and if anybody likes music heres a great track by London Elektricity and Liane Carroll wondering why were here

www.youtube.com...

D

76ce7ba40991fa1bc73ff49bba97338f4b49339ced1ec7af233f1c5e2cfef207
edit on 27-6-2017 by DpatC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Could you add a little more detail about what the book is?
From what's on amazon it about the number zero and how the concept was developed and its use through history.
Anything else?

Thanks

Never mind I got it,

Book

Within the concept of zero lies a philosophical and scientific history of Mankind. The Babylonians invented zero, it was banned by the Greeks while on the eve of the Millennium zero was feared to be a timebomb within the world s computer systems. There was a time when zero did not exist, the concept of zero is a relatively recent Eastern concept and for centuries there was a struggle over its very existence. For many cultures zero represented the void and it could prove to undo the framework of logic. It was seen as an alien concept that could shatter the framework of Christianity and science yet European acceptance of zero as a philosophical concept was at the centre of the RenaissanceOver three thousand years the concept of zero has been at the heart of the intellectual debates that have created our culture. In the first millennium zero lay at the heart of the debate between Eastern and Western religion, while after the Renaissance zero was at the centre of the struggle between religion and science. Zero s power comes from its ability to disrupt the laws of physics and it may hold the secret of the cosmos. From the nothingness of a vacuum came our universe, if our universe was born in zero so zero could hold the existence of an infinite number of other universes.

~Morpheus

edit on 27-6-2017 by MorpheusUSA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
It could go the other way. Perhaps aliens would be accepted as proof of angels or even demons.

For me... if there WERE aliens, one of the first questions I would probably ask... "What deity do you believe in"?

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
"For me... if there WERE aliens, one of the first questions I would probably ask... "What deity do you believe in"?

I don't have any deity,I have a mother and father that brought me up to believe in Light life love and creation. I believe in my family.
The accptance of Angels or demons,don't get me started on that one,first step on that is getting humanity to accept Light as being sentient.. Were a long way off from that at the moment but we will get there..
I hope that makes sense

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The aliens taught us to believe in their god, the real god. But of course we wanted our own so we made one or two or ten different ones up ourselves.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DpatC
A belief in nothing is a belief in something - an alien concept that can shatter the framework of Christianity - Zero, the biography of a very dangerous idea ... great book --

But it didn't. Zero was around well before Christianity. Christianity was formed after zero, and the fact is it did not "shatter the framework of Christianity"--at all. And for those who lack reading comprehension, this is not about "aliens" at all. It's about an "alien" idea, i.e.: a strange concept. It sounds like a very interesting book, but it is not about alien beings nor will it shatter Christianity.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
So let me get this straight ... according to your post, I can either be Christian or believe in the mathematical concept of zero?

How is this not even more absurd than the idea that I can either believe in Christ or science?

Please, explain your insanity to us.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: DpatC

And for those who lack reading comprehension, this is not about "aliens" at all. It's about an "alien" idea, i.e.: a strange concept.

You said "alien concept". It could have meant 2 different things. "Alien Concept" or Alien... Concept.

It's not reading comprehension and no need to turn all asshat over it. You just wasn't clear. You offered a book with little context. I'm not going to go and buy a book to find out what you were talking about in a post with zero information.

I think it's more of an explanation problem, personally.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DpatC

Sounds like babble. Nice try with the "Christianity thing" though, notice you left the "and Science" out. How does it play with other religions?

For many cultures zero represented the void and it could prove to undo the framework of logic. It was seen as an alien concept that could shatter the framework of Christianity and science yet European acceptance of zero as a philosophical concept was at the centre of the RenaissanceOver three thousand years the concept of zero has been at the heart of the intellectual debates that have created our culture.

edit on 27-6-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I'm kind of lost also...

I mean, how many living wholly mammoths are there on the planet at the current moment?? 0
If I have nothing in my bank account what does my balance say?? 0.00
as long as man had a reason to count, they would have to have an expression for when there was nothing to count..
and they had to have a way to rely when there was none.. no arrows, no cows, no whatever..
maybe it was an alien concept before adam left the garden, but since then I am pretty sure that mankind had plenty of occasions to experience none, nothing, sorry s..t our of luck now, the crops failed and all the cows died off... and the newest warlord is here wanting to know what you got to give him in tribute.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
This concept was with us from day one. If you were a cave man with zero women to keep you warm at night, you grabbed your club and went to get you one.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Fascinating how the Ancient Egyptian symbol for life (ankh) is a 0 and 1 separated by a horizontal line (which also represent the human womb)

mythologian.net...

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

The concept of Zero was well established prior to Christ and two thousand years of comfortable cohabitation might perhaps indicate that the book's writer was expressing an unreasoned, unevidenced opinion.

I haven't seen any "shattering" issues that Christianity has with zero, ever.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." — Robert Firth

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
the implication here appears to be that with the invention of zero, the concept of 'something' from 'nothing' becomes plausible, if not substantiated. which basically pulls the rug out from under a 'necessarily infinite creator'. but there are a number of problems with that premise and i would suggest that the book is more of a food for thought kind of publication than a smoking gun.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Definitely a comprehension problem, the meaning of alien concept is clear. I don't blame you, it's the education system.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: StallionDuck

Definitely a comprehension problem, the meaning of alien concept is clear. I don't blame you, it's the education system.

You have your right to your opinion...

Concept - an abstract idea; a general notion.

Alien concept - foreign idea
Alien concept - idea related to aliens

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
the implication here appears to be that with the invention of zero, the concept of 'something' from 'nothing' becomes plausible, if not substantiated. which basically pulls the rug out from under a 'necessarily infinite creator'. but there are a number of problems with that premise and i would suggest that the book is more of a food for thought kind of publication than a smoking gun.

Yes, but it isn't just Christianity that has an issue with the idea of something from nothing. All of humanity has this issue, even science. Of course, the OP mentioned that. Something from nothing is a more magical concept than anything.

The idea of zero is pretty easily understood in day to day life. I an sitting here at my desk typing and there are no apples in front of me. I have zero apples. If I go to my kitchen and get 1 apple, then I am adding an apple to the zero apples on my desk. I didn't just make an apple appear out of nothing.

The idea that all of the universe appeared out of nowhere is as puzzling to science as it is to any other group especially given the Law of Conservation of Matter. If all this was in a different form prior to the Big Bang, the singularity, what was there in this real estate prior to that? Was it nothing? All of those are questions that science struggles to answer.

In that sense, nothingness is an issue.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   
----------

Zero isnt a number but a placeholder signifying rollover. Its concept as a placeholder is as old as the concept of counting.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Oh well that certainly would put a wedge in it that's for certain.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join