It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What use is gold in say an EMP strike?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: InceyWincey

I'd be interested to know how something that (can) make you paranoid, dull your wits and reaction time plus give you the munchies for food that doesn't exists or is rare - will be useful? Unless maybe for the benefits of pain relief which I've heard of but yet to meet anyone who actually is relieved from pain by the herb.

peace

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Stoners will trade for it, that is for sure.
Business is all, but bud will sell in a post societal collapse so seeds will be worth more than gold until a token based transaction system is re-established.
Pity in Britain I'll only get a few months to profit if no electricity for grow lamps.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

It works well for seizures, pain relief, sleep aid, Muscle relaxer and much more. Believe it or not I used it to stop drinking every night I could of never stopped my binge without it.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

It works well for seizures, pain relief, sleep aid, Muscle relaxer and much more. Believe it or not I used it to stop drinking every night I could of never stopped my binge without it.

I would be looking at the emaciated masses market. People who are hacking out a living like me but would give me something I need for a chance to get stoned for a night. Moonshine producers would be popular as well, and I'd be trading my spare potatoes with them, not any gold which would be useless to them prior to a token based transaction system.
edit on 27-6-2017 by InceyWincey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
In the immediate aftermath of a eotwawki event, gold or silver would be useless.

When things calm down, and people have things to sell again, gold and silver would be king.

You just have to survive long enough.

Good luck

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Just read a good book about an emp strike.

One second after by forstchen

All of you who think you will survive should read this.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

I found a reason to have gold that's overlooked -

Dentistry and Medicine:
Gold makes for the best fillings, crowns, bridges and orthodontic appliances because the metal is chemically inert, easy to insert and nonallergenic. Gold has been used in dentistry since 700 B.C. and will probably continue to be the best option for replacing broken or missing teeth.

I reckon the dentist will cost more than 5 cabbages and a pigeon for most folk though.
...and it'll be a long time after some Sun attack or other EMP type situation before gold is being shaped for dentistry.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91, InceyWincey

Good to know - I really appreciate the input. It's been a while since I've been in the States so I'm ignorant of many 'new' things.

Well, new for me.

Thanks again,

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Skills would be the #1 thing needed... if you have the skills then you know how to find/purify water, how to catch/kill and prepare food, and how to forage for wild greens that are edible and safe to eat.

You do not want to experiment when there is no participation trophy... and failing the final exam is well truly final.

Gold only ever held value while civilization was whole... in a scenario as described it would have value for a short time then as people were going hungry/thirsty they will rapidly stop caring about shiny stuff.

Once a system was slowly stood back up gold would once more gain in value because society says so.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
And to those who love gold, I ask where the shiny element fits in at discussions about anything outside of society where a token of exchange is used?
I'd trade my antibiotics for something I need, but in an EMP disaster, natural or otherwise, I wouldn't want your gold, and probably not for decades.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

I'd be interested to know how something that (can) make you paranoid, dull your wits and reaction time plus give you the munchies for food that doesn't exists or is rare - will be useful? Unless maybe for the benefits of pain relief which I've heard of but yet to meet anyone who actually is relieved from pain by the herb.

peace

Cannabis would probably be one of the most useful plants after society falls.

Medicine, recreation, and the fiber from the stalks could be used to make clothes, rope, tarps, and all kinds of other useful items.

And who wouldn't want to roll something up after a long day of fighting off marauders?

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Perhaps there would be a little stress in a SHTF scenario? Booze-pills and MJ will be hot sellers.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Perhaps there would be a little stress in a SHTF scenario? Booze-pills and MJ will be hot sellers.

Understood. It's only my opinion I would not want to be anything but 'clouded' by anything inebriating during this time.

BUT - I can understand there are people who will need this type of relief for many reasons.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

And those inebriated (myself included), will be dead quickly. There will be no room for error when people will kill you for food, shelter or even small comforts.

Wonder if ill have the willpower to abstain?

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Could be years, humans have an innate need to escape the grind of life. I think the grind would be a terrible thing, day to day.

I also think there would be a marked number of suicides. Then in short order small towns would start to come together to form small communities and shortly after that they would form working govt's.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Gold and Silver are natural antibacterial / antimicrobials.
I received this Gold Cross pen/pencil set from the esteemed Congressman of Wyoming (at that time. He later became the V.P.).
I use them daily in my practice.

edit on V142017Tuesdaypm30America/ChicagoTue, 27 Jun 2017 19:14:18 -05001 by Violater1 because: A gold reason

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I think the main reason that currency would reappear quite early in the recovery after a planet-wide EMP disaster is that people would be much richer than before the disaster. There would be the same number of assets and the same amount of currency, but it would be divided between fewer people, because a large percentage of the world's population would be dead.

People are greedy and foolish, and the 'goldrush' to hoover up all this abandoned wealth would almost automatically kick-start the economic recovery. Also, some of it wouldn't be so foolish, e.g., palatial mansions and fine art, there for the taking.

I think (although I'm not a mediaevalist) that something very like this happened after Europe was ravaged by the Black Death (one unexpected outcome was that the people who used to be 'serfs' suddenly had much more bargaining power with *ahem* employers, due to the sudden shortage of labour).

In non-western terms, I wonder how much of the developing world would notice anything untoward. Certainly, cessation of electricity wouldn't make much difference to the average Indian dhalit, for example.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon

That is another very interesting idea. I think we would see local communities form small govt's and form the proper defense (if needed) to start to rebuild a society.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon

I think the main reason that currency would reappear quite early in the recovery after a planet-wide EMP disaster is that people would be much richer than before the disaster. There would be the same number of assets and the same amount of currency,

This depends on how you define assets? Are useless vehicles devoid of gas going to be any good? Houses devoid of life. You can’t eat art. And the currency? What are paper bills and pennies going to get you?

but it would be divided between fewer people, because a large percentage of the world's population would be dead.

Yes, fewer people for sure. But they will be hungry.

By the way I’m basing my opinions on an EMP hitting the USA. Why? Because as you said the ‘other people’ will be much better off. Like as when I lived in Sicily and we bartered and grew all we needed with very little bought.

People are greedy and foolish, and the 'goldrush' to hoover up all this abandoned wealth would almost automatically kick-start the economic recovery. Also, some of it wouldn't be so foolish, e.g., palatial mansions and fine art, there for the taking.

But - what people are ‘greedy for’ is going to take on such a gargantuan change it’s almost unfathomable.

I think (although I'm not a mediaevalist) that something very like this happened after Europe was ravaged by the Black Death (one unexpected outcome was that the people who used to be 'serfs' suddenly had much more bargaining power with *ahem* employers, due to the sudden shortage of labour).

I wouldn’t know but it’s interesting to look into.

Thanks for your post - it’s a great one that provokes a lot of thought.

edit on 2325Tuesday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

peace

IMHO, the only good thing that weed would be good for is rope and maybe clothes. That is if you like burlap for clothes.
Medicinally, it's useless. Cotton mouth comes to mind. But as a relief from reality, it is no different than alcohol.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join