It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airbus Conquers Physics With a Funky Super-Fast Helicopter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Airbus Conquers Physics With a Funky Super-Fast Helicopter

Well I have no clue whether or not this is something new. But it seems that Airbus is touting their new prototype hybrid chopper here as groundbreaking if they can get it working.

Airbus added 2 small wings on each side to help stabilize the aircraft when going at faster speeds.

I will say that it's a nice looking aircraft. I dig those side wings.

While Gulfstream's G650 private jet streaks along at north of 600 mph, conventional choppers like the police or your local traffic reporter might use maxes out around 160 mph. Quick, but not that quick when talking about flight. Airbus thinks it found a way of closing the speed gap without sacrificing a helicopter's inherent advantages: add wings and props to create an aircraft that can take off and land vertically, hover, and cruise at a heady 250 mph. Airbus calls it the Racer, for Rapid and Cost-Effective Rotorcraft.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Looks cool - be careful on entry and exit though! One giant blender blade is scary enough

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Looks awesome. Until it's shooting at you...

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Only computers can regulate the turbulence between lateral props well enough to facilitate the pusher and lift elements.

Love to see the 'yoke'.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

it SHOULD beable to shut down the wingtip props for takeoff // landing

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

the westland lynx could fly at 250 mph in 1986 - and that was a purely conventional helicopter

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

The props are rear facing.

But yeah. Exiting that thing would be scary.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

It better, otherwise someone's getting pureed.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Could you rotate the pusher props to add lift on takeoff?

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: PhantomTwo

Probably.

If the aircraft was heavy.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Looks like the Eurocopter X3

On further investigation, it looks like airbus bought Eurocopter.
X3 wiki

Article states it..should have read it lol

edit on 27-6-2017 by turbo8 because: Guess I should have read the article

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

The Carter copter has been in development for well over a decade. I think they are being produced, or close to it now. But lots of innovative features are there.

Cartercopter
edit on 27-6-2017 by Enderdog because: typos

Editing to add that it is a hybrid vehicle with VTOL, and flies at high speeds with the rotor unpowered.
edit on 27-6-2017 by Enderdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Bet fuel consumption is horrid. The Huey Slicks we flew in Vietnam burned 5600 lbs of fuel easily enough in 3-4 hours, sometimes less. Here you have three turbines/jets consuming fuel.
edit on 27-6-2017 by Plotus because: looking for spare change

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

it SHOULD beable to shut down the wingtip props for takeoff // landing

There is no tail rotor so something has to be turning to counter the torque of the single main rotor.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Flipper35

damm it - didnt look carefully - i assumed that it had a NOTAR system in the rear boom

now - looking at it again - it doesnt make sense

with no tail rotar - one wingtip thruster has to provide twice the thrust of the other

looking at igoogle images - it has no torque control system [ unless the wingtip thrusters are doing it - in which case - see above ]

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

The wingtip props would have no problem handling the torque from the main rotor blade.
The lack of a tail rotor is going to reduce drag quite a bit which will give you a speed increase.
The problem with making helicopters faster is the turbulence generated as the tips of the rotor blades get near the speed of sound. Since lift is a function of the rotor area a larger rotor means more lift. If you want to increase speed you have to increase the rotor rpm. You can only increase it so much before the blade tip turbulence either reduces lift or destroys the rotor.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Seems to me going slower in a helecopter would be lots more fun. You get a chance to see the beauty or uniqueness of things.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
Looks cool - be careful on entry and exit though! One giant blender blade is scary enough

And you have just given this aircraft it's new name, the flying liquidizer.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: Flipper35

damm it - didnt look carefully - i assumed that it had a NOTAR system in the rear boom

now - looking at it again - it doesnt make sense

with no tail rotar - one wingtip thruster has to provide twice the thrust of the other

looking at igoogle images - it has no torque control system [ unless the wingtip thrusters are doing it - in which case - see above ]

I'm quite sure they flew this aircraft a few years ago. Proof of concept worked.

With computer control, thrust on port and starboard engines can be varied individually, effectively providing yaw control at a hover.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I've rode in an A-6 Intruder and in the front seat of a Cobra. While the A-6 was fun cruising along at 500 knots, riding the Cobra was a blast. It seemed a lot faster because we were down in the trees.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join