It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McAfee: DNC Service Hacked by Some Random Teenager, Not Russia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
John McAfee

John McAfee (born September 18, 1945) is a British-American computer programmer and businessman. He founded the software company McAfee Associates in 1987 and ran it until 1994, when he resigned from the company. McAfee Associates achieved early success as the creators of McAfee, the first commercial antivirus software, and the business now produces a range of enterprise security software. The company was renamed to Intel Security in 2011 after being purchased by Intel, though the software still retains the McAfee brand name. McAfee's wealth peaked in 2007 at $100 million, before his investments suffered in the global financial crisis that began that year.

He is also a political activist who sought the Libertarian Party nomination for President of the United States in the 2016 election, losing to former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson. McAfee also has interests in smartphone apps, yoga, and all-natural antibiotics. He resided for a number of years in Belize, but after several disputes with the authorities in Belize and Guatemala, he returned to the United States in 2013.

The video is from RT, so I'm sure that will trigger the left into a fake news feeding frenzy. However, I think it is very important to here what the experts in cyber security think about the claims of Russians hacking the US elections.

He claims that the DNC server was not secured what so ever, and that the malware that was found ay 50d later attributed to Russia was taken from a hackware website that accepts donations. He goes on to say that the malware in question was itself an outdated version and that the latest version is attainable for only $50.

The malware is called PAS WebShell.

US Govt Data Shows Russia Used Outdated Ukrainian PHP Malware

The IP addresses that DHS provided may have been used for an attack by a state actor like Russia. But they don’t appear to provide any association with Russia. They are probably used by a wide range of other malicious actors, especially the 15% of IP addresses that are Tor exit nodes.

The malware sample is old, widely used and appears to be Ukrainian. It has no apparent relationship with Russian intelligence and it would be an indicator of compromise for any website.

Are we really to believe that if the Russian government wanted to hack the DNC that they wouldn't use the most updated versions available for their hacking software?

One of the comments on the page linked above by Eric Nelson on the 30th of December 2016:

For some reason people seem to forget about this Wired.com story below and the company Crowdstrike who has carefully documented the connection between the DNC and Russian intelligence. They documented a sophisticated military grade malware that seems to be completely separate from this discussion. I hate to post a link to a media site here at Wordfence but I really think for the sake of this discussion everyone needs to read this article and see some of the subsequent analysis. What is odd to me is this current GRIZZLY STEPPE information by DHS/FBI documented a sort of everyday off the shelf PHP webshell program like PAS.

Mark did you find anything unusual about this webshell that made it significantly different from WSO, R57 or C99? Plus this malware will only affect webservers running PHP. I've read about the malware that cross-platform and was infecting Ukrainian soldiers cell phones so that Russian troops could target them. I don't doubt the Russian involvement but I feel like this release of information by DHS/FBI is a little ho-hum.

www.wired.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

& what about those interesting details found in Wikileaks Vault 7 about alphabet organizations' ability to hack and make it look like it was another country..... I honestly don't completely 100% trust the Wikileaks releases but I'm certain the SeeEyeAye or others could easily use an IP masking function to make it look like certain attacks originated from a targeted location elsewhere from the actual physical start point.

Just another factor to consider

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
si it wasn't Seth Rich or the Pakistani brothers?

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Of course. And yet nobody in the media wants to acknowledge the obvious fact that our CIA has the technology to make any cyber attack look like it came from a foreign nation state.

But even if the CIA did attempt to frame the Russians for the DNC hack, I would think that the CIA would be smart enough to leave behind a trail of damnable evidence. It doesn't make sense that the CIA would attribute an attack to the Russians without using known Russian malware.

Podesta's password was password, I mean come on. The DNC hasn't even raised the possibility that it could be a whistleblower that gave the emails to Wikileaks.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

There is no way they can spin their way out of the inevitable implosion of the xenophobic Russian fear mongering.

We can only hope it is exposed before the situation in Syria erupts into a World War, horrible events are always used to cover the tracks of the deep state.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Isnt the point of a proxy to access data through one system remotely? Ie; using snother system so that it doesnt look like it was you...

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Intelligence agency leaders repeated their determination Thursday that only "the senior most officials" in Russia could have authorized recent hacks into Democratic National Committee and Clinton officials' emails during the presidential election.

Director of National Intelligence James Clapper affirmed an Oct. 7 joint statement from 17 intelligence agencies that the Russian government directed the election interference — and went further.

NPR

I am not surprised that the Russian Times is promoting the angle in the O.P., seeing as Russia would want to spread disinformation and propaganda that they were not the ones behind the hacks.

Meanwhile, seventeen intelligence agencies think Russia did it, and they are more informed than McCafe. In addition, they think Russia will be back. It is negligent for someone to put their head in the sand and pretend the problem doesn't exist.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Meanwhile, seventeen intelligence agencies think Russia did it

False.

One person (James Clapper) from one intelligence agency (office of DNI, so actually not an agency) spoke for the entire intelligence community when he said that all 17 agencies endorse his position that the Russians had hacked the DNC.

Your own source even says this!

Director of National Intelligence James Clapper affirmed an Oct. 7 joint statement from 17 intelligence agencies that the Russian government directed the election interference — and went further.

In fact, one of the 17 agencies in that list includes the Coast Guard Intelligence.

Tell me, what resources does the Coast Guard have to investigate a cyber attack? Can you cite for me a single case in history where the Coast Guard has investigated a cyber attack, let a lone from a foreign nation state?

The 17 agency bull# was debunked long ago. And you think my head is in the sand?

Try again.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Dude, just quit, you're making a fool of yourself.

This narrative has been destroyed, get your head out the gutter and maybe try real life.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
If the DNC was really hacked through a phishing email, they should produce the email to help their case.

I find it hard to believe that out of all the phishing emails being sent, the one they open is directly from Russian FSB.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Says the guy of a questionable mental state who hides in the jungle...

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Says one of the top security experts in the industry...

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aeshma

Isnt the point of a proxy to access data through one system remotely? Ie; using snother system so that it doesnt look like it was you...

The point of a proxy is hide your IP/MAC address..

IE Proxy = act as another or for another

I forget

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Remember Wikileaks also said their source was not the Russians...

Here we are and still not shred of evidence that even the President would know about. One would think the cat is out of the bag the the intelligence agency would actually have the proof. Not just proof that maybe Russian malware was used but have definitive connection to the Russian Government. Even if it was them they phished everyone, so once again it was in the DNC to not have the proper protection needed.

The fake news has always been that the Russians wanted to support Trump to win and Trump was involved in it all.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Don't forget about comrades Alex Jones and Roger Stone, they're besties with Putin.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

Don't forget about comrades Alex Jones and Roger Stone, they're besties with Putin.

Anyone not agreeing with the very stale now liberal narrative is besties with Russia...lol

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Well if John McAfee says it it HAS to be true.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

Well if mainstream media says it, it HAS to be true.

What's your point?

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

My point? People call out sources for being 'sketchy'. John McAfee is a lifetime member of that club.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Isn't this an old story? I heard about this months ago, unless he recently did another interview?

Regardless of what kind of nut he is now, can anyone factually refute anything he said without deflecting to attacks on his character? The public evidence has always seemed to me like ok this could mean someone in Russia did it or it could mean whoever did it wanted to make it look like Russia. I mean, hacking 101 the first thing you learn is how to misdirect anyone trying to determine your location. Seems like a rather obvious thing to do.

One of the pieces of evidence they cited was the times of the hacks were during normal business hours in Moscow. If your evidence is so weak that you even have to mention that I think that's pretty telling. And since when do hackers only work 9-5?

As for the 17 intel agencies, yes that was debunked, by Clapper himself.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join