It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vinyl Vs CD? Let the Battle Begin!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

Bump to you too.

That took a long time!

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yourmomsentme
a reply to: Tulpa

Digital.

It is 2017 not 1987.

Vinyl every time

Started on tapes, went over to CD then discovered the second hand shops which around twenty years ago came full of records 12 and 7" and since then been largely stuck on vinyl.

I came to realise that vinyl is a better sound as every record has its own individual sound plus it's just so much better watching yor record spin and using the pick up arm etc on your record deck compared to watching a CD machine run

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Love vinyl.

I remember when CD's first came out, loved them....in fact I still do.

I replicated as much of my vinyl as possible and CD and then some.

But you can't beat playing my old Punk vinyl's, or my 60's and 70's 45's and LP's.
I also have a collection of Northern Soul vinyl and some early Dance/Rave stuff.
I even have quite a few old 78's, mainly Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly.

I've made CD mixes of my old vinyl's which I've since put on a stick as well.

Guess its horses for courses.

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Too right FB on the CD thing. Know where you coming from............They are also totally awesome just like the vinyl . When they came out it was totally awesome
Dunno whether the brain is functional wait there, it is just cinfirmed it, the CD single.......... Sort of smaller than a normal CD but fitted in the player with an adapter
Oh the days with CDs.

Being honest and realistic about it just getting back into the tapes too
At Chrimbo bought a new van, well a 2005 Pug Partner and it got a tape player so getting back uptodate with the tapes. Being totally honest they are surprisingly fresh just getting used to the fast forward thing and rewind. It all seems a bit hit and miss to be honest compared to CDs but surprising what was on te tapes back in the day especially recording s of TOTP sunday nights in the very very early 1980S!

Very fascinated by your collection of 78 standard disc, wow they gonna be well collectable FB
Also your early dance / rave records. Sounds totally awesome FB. Know exactly where youre coming from, got a bundle of that period vinyl too and Jeez it the good stuff. Fave from that period many thinhs and mabe 'You Sure Do' by Strike 12 Inch record................................................ Totally awesome FB of the special stuff

Love the music its an amzing thing. It can take you to place in your past or present via the new sound and possibly into the future too via something totally entrance you with the newness, while the mind can be transformed according to its stae oj fmood purely by the frequencies of sound rather than something of the alc or drug induced state. Music is amazing and mind transforming stuff

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Love CD's because you don't have to keep getting up and changing the record.
But love the sound of records.
I recently found some laser disks. But haven't got a player for them. So that's my next challenge.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: AnnetteMorris

Wowsers......... laser discs, forgot them things even ecisted.real good stuff back in the day. like a record but to watch on TV or something. Did they go the way of Beta max? 9h all the 20th C tech some really good stuff. What if movie films? Used to love using Super 8mm Kodachrome movie film in the 80's indeed only moved onto modern formats around the millennium turning. then there was standard 8mm oh then there was the French version called 9.5mm. would love to get filming again on proper cine film, the wait for receiving it back from the processors took a week but what a buzz when that little yellow Kodak package came through the letter box

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Well I thought this thread had died already.

Nice to see some new opinions.

Ive got hold of an enhanced cd copy of Dark Side of the Moon. Great sounding. First one I got was terrible then the remastered one came out which was better but I prefer this newer one.

Still doesn't quite match the vinyl for me, though.

I've kind of given up trying cd singles. Maybe it's just my bad luck but I've bought a few in the past and they all seem to miss off the best mixes . A 12" might have four different mixes and the cd has six but for some reason, the specific one I'm looking for doest make it to cd.

Doh!

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Vinyl will always be superior because you can't form a true wave digitally, you can only make the steps smaller. That's the "warmth" of vinyl. Sound is analog. Vinyl is analog. The only bigger disappointment in sound next to digital is a vinyl reproduced from digital.

Vinyl all day.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

Good choice.

I've got five different versions of A Secret Wish by Propaganda from the pre Bar code cd to the special edition remastered copy . It's not massively noticeable when comparing the difference in sound between them (except the remaster) but you can tell.

None compare to the vinyl.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   

The covers too, they are sooooooooooooooooooo much more fun especially in 12" form. Needed special reading glasses when dealing with CD covers, not so the vinyl, which enabled many an hour well into the early hours attempting to identify every character on the sleeve of Sergeant Peppers

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Current deck bought from geezer via ebay up north in Wigan is a pretty good conditional Technics SL1210 mk2. In Britain these decks frequently go for around the 4 - 500 quid mark, bought it for less but was like a decade ago........ Maybe more! Not sure what model they are on now, maybe it's the mk6, think they stopped producing it for like a decade but recently started making them again with the vinyl revivals. I'm no DJ at all and play all sorts on it from 50/60's 7" records, 70's 80's pop music, all the way from classical music to Slayer then happy hardcore
A true great deck quite robust and simple but like most things Made in Japan just works without fail time after time.

Being honest and realistic there are so many decks out there my knowledge is extremely limited. In my younger days always loved Bang & Olufsen decks, you could pick them up for next to nothing in the 80's through to the late 90's. They were good decks, the sound was pretty amazing, but you had to be careful with them, fairly delicate pieces of machinery really but visually amazing

Then there was a Panasonic deck, well it was actually built into a stereo hifi system, thing is you could program the order or the individual songs on the the vinyl 12" disc. Totally awesome, a laser would find the start of the relevant song, also the pick up arm would turn 180 degrees and play the under side of the disc, totally awesome and being Japanese worked perfectly.

Always had on the list one of the Pro-Ject record players, always seem like superb value, come in various nice colours, sound pretty great and are manufactured in the Czech Republic................. Great engineering nation

Then there's the Rega Planar deck handmade in Britain
Would love one of these machines still hand made over here. Sound great and look awesome

Finally on the dream list of decks but something well out of my price range is the amazing Linn Sondek LP 12
Also made in Britain indeed Made in dear old Scotland.................... Though before Solo or Sapien start bragging about this and fire up their bagpipes
I read it's more Hungarian than Scottish
At least the Glaswegans make em

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo vinyl is so good, but CD has its merits too. Suppose it's all in the music really, then again I'd rather play around with a record player than an open drawer / close drawer CD player any day

Linn decks www.linn.co.uk...

Rega decks www.rega.co.uk...

Pro-Ject decks www.project-audio.com...

Technics decks www.technics.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I was using a pair of 1200s and a mk1 mixer. Just got one plugged in at the moment.
Been through a few decks in my time. And mixers.....and speakers...and,and.. . You get the idea.

Really got annoyed and launched one of my old soundlab belt drives across the room once. They fly hehe.

I'd like to see what it's like mixing with CDs but I don't play out anymore so it would be an expensive experiment.

I loved reading the covers of vinyl albums etc and agree with you about the writing on CD covers. My eyes just see blurry lines on them when I try to read them.

And don't get me started on skippy discs! I can cope with scratched old vinyl but a CD can look perfect and still play badly, or worse....you put it in the drawer and close it up and wait for it to start and the readout simply says No Disc. Aaaaaaarrrrgghh!!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Was in a club in the rave days.......... Place was right next to the cop shop (Law Enforcement Hang Out to Yanks) but the old bill just used to laugh as we came in and out.......................... That's when the SL1210 first blew the mind. Was trippin in 1989 and couldn't be detached from the DJs decks for hours as the silver effect just glistened

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

I was using a pair of 1200s and a mk1 mixer. Just got one plugged in at the moment.
Totally awesome you got an SL going right now
They a great deck
edited because I have come to realise you're from Staff's but I'm undercover due to the UFO experiences and the PTB while at the same time know exactly the moment regarding Clubs Kinetic, Regimes

edit on 2-6-2020 by ufoorbhunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Think it was 91 when I bought my first pair.

Played at a few good parties. Warehouses, woods, barns even a scrapyard and once in a cave!

Also did a few local clubs and the regular rota of residents at the local uni.

Good times indeed.

Kinetic was good but Shelleys was just the best. Orbit was awesome but I never got up there as much as I'd have liked to.

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Where the cave Tulps................................Tell me its not the Beech Caves

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Weston Coyney. I think that's how it's spelled.

And Keele woods.

Bet youd probably recognise me if you were ever at the same place.

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Oh it the Weston Coyney
(Took a guess at Beech Caves on the way to Stone fro the Trentham zone) Jeezbeegies Weston Coyney that's just down the road lol.......................... Hey I'm undercover due to the UFOs but if it's turn of the 80's dash 90's then I'd probably done Shelley's lol within the same floor two feet away
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Yeah. I think I'm on one or two Shelleys vids. Just briefly.

I know I'm on at least one Kinetic one and I'm told I'm on a couple of rave videos that I've never seen. Luckily not pulling a gurn!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join