It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Refuses to Block Holocaust Denial

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
They're experimenting with adding the option to mark content that is questionable and not displaying it in certain countries.

The next step is hiding content from people who are marked in such a manner. This is more effective than not knowing who the racists are.

Facebook will not block Holocaust-denying content on its platform in countries where it remains legal, saying it is merely the expression of an opinion.

Facebook will continue to allow Holocaust-denying content on its platform in countries where Holocaust denial is legal, a Facebook executive announced.

In the letter to Maklev, chairman of the Knesset’s committee on Science and Technology, Cutler explained that Facebook’s policy is to follow the lead of local governments and law, and that Holocaust denial will be available in several countries, even though it is “disturbing content.”

Link
edit on 26-6-2017 by NoJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: NoJack

As they should refuse to block it...

Imho blocking is a bad idea.. we need like a "really crappy source that is most likely just lying" label applied to those posts and stories.. not blocking it completely..

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Censorship, gotta love it... Getting better everyday

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

It would be extremely easy to block the truth instead if blocking things is commonplace.

Maybe come up with a system called

"Facebook fresh" where they have sources it as well as possible ..and a "Facebook fraud" for the debunked stories.
edit on 26-6-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Of course they won't, blocking hurts Facebook. They just happen to be on the right side of this issue.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

As long as the posts people make calling them out on their stupidity are not blocked that's fine! More of us posting on their ignorant posts, might show them how stupid they are

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Ok.... Problem? Not a holocaust denier, but... Censor that, what's going to be next?
edit on 26-6-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

Exactly. One of the main benefits of having free speech is that ill-conceived theories can be quickly shot down in the market place of ideas. When censorship takes place, these ideas are discussed in secret and there is no one to counteract them. They actually benefit the holder of such nonsensical theories because they can make the argument that the information is being suppressed because of the power behind it. As the adage goes, shinning the light of the market-place of ideas on such nonsense makes them scatter like cockroaches.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Why is this a problem?

It is, unfortunately, one of the down sides of free speech and expression. No one is forcing you to read it, listen to it, or watch it. Scroll right on by.

I find it disgusting. Not to mention wrong. But...

Having said all that, it wouldn't cause me to lose much sleep if it were banned. But, in that direction lies a slippery slope.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull
The reason they are still allowing this stuff on Facebook, youtube, etc is so they can monitor people. Keep track of who's posting what and to see if there is a movement growing. Like they say keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
edit on 26-6-2017 by NoJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Good. It's best to destroy the holocaust deniers with reason and evidence instead of adopting the same censorship that contributed to the holocaust in the first place.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I'm definitely as believer as far as the holocaust is concerned but I don't think censoring free speech is OK. If idiots want to say it didn't happen, then that is their first amendment right to be an idiot. Period.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: PorteurDeMort

In countries where that right exists.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
There are deniers, then there are people who don't hold a specific position and just have questions. Unfortunately they tend to get lumped into the same category.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Forcing laws and censorship onto people is the type of behavior that facilitated the Holocaust in the first place.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Does denying it somehow make it like it never happened? No. So what good would blocking anyone do? That's silly as hell, right out of the gate.

I personally think it's ludicrous that anyone would deny such a travesty occurred in our history, but I fully respect their right to believe whatever they like and talk about it too. I get the German government taking action in situations like that, but not a social media site that has members from every city around the globe. That's not a slippery slope. That's a vertical drop into a chasm. We don't need to start subverting people's right to their own opinion because too many very bad people are out there just waiting for another opportunity to subvert humanity entirely. Good on facebook...this time, at least.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
In Australia denying the Holocaust amounts to a crime. In the 90s a historian questioned the amount of people killed and he was charged and brought before court. I don't know enough about the Holocaust either way but it is dangerous to set the precedent that we cannot question history.

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.” George Orwell, 1984

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
In Australia denying the Holocaust amounts to a crime. In the 90s a historian questioned the amount of people killed and he was charged and brought before court. I don't know enough about the Holocaust either way but it is dangerous to set the precedent that we cannot question history.

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.” George Orwell, 1984

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

Yea I guess everything is a pendulum....

After the holacaust that pendulum swung way back the other way , where Jews were considered off limits..

The change amongst conservative Christians is the most shocking to me..

They literally went from hard core Jew haters (they did kill Jesus lol) to literally deifying them as the chosen ones who most be protected and revered..

I guess that it was prob government propaganda to establish their ME foothold and oil pipeline..

I don't doubt at all the holacaust.. the more I hear the more I doubt they should be the only people you think of... hell they might not even should be the main poster boy for WW2's victims.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Blocking it just adds credibility.

Better to discuss it and debunk the deniers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join