It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOCOM Just Tested a Laser Weapon Carried by an Apache Attack Helicopter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The SOCOM is starting the development cycle of deploying lasers on attack helicopters. The first step is to place a moderate power laser on an Apache to collect data on the interaction of the downwash of the chopper blades and the beam. This is a nontrivial thing to understand if you want to mount a laser, but it is a long ways off from actually deploying a laser. The laser power is not stated in the article, but it is almost assuredly less than 10 kw.

The tests were at WSMR. Raytheon is claiming it really is a laser weapon. They had it integrated with the Multi Spectral Pod.

That said, I do believe lasers are going to be a big deal for attack helicopters coming up. And for other aircraft. Esp other aircraft. However, spot kills rather than area effects could have a profound impact on where strikes will be allowed.

warisboring.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
"You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have *attack helicopters* with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here! What do we have?"

Words from this quote have been changed marked by an asterisk.

-Alee

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Good looking out! Should be an interesting article.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Interesting new technology. Thanks for sharing.

PS: Raytheon is the same company that made those 59 Tomahawk Missiles America launched at Syria. Their stock value went up $5 B as a result of the use of those missiles. Military Industrial Complex is the biggest cash cow. War for profit sickens me...

"Syria Airstrikes Instantly Added Nearly $5 Billion to Missile-Makers’ Stock Value" fortune.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> fortune.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I remember seeing a documentary on discovery channel about planes deployed during the gulf war that had lasers which were used to shoot down scud missiles. It was a jumbo jet type plane, and the laser apparatus took up the majority of the fuselage. They showed the missiles that were hit and they were all melted. So, if they had that then....

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: BadBoYeed

The only airborne laser they have recently had was the YAL-1A. It first flew in 2002, but didn't actually fire a full power laser shot at a test missile until 2010. It was cancelled in 2012, and scrapped in 2014.
edit on 6/26/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
holy snap start wars

edit on 26-6-2017 by Sysdrone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

a bit more info:

defense-update.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I wonder if there will be a "stun" setting on it? Probably not.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
When they fire the "laser" does it make pew pew pew noises?

That way the pilot knows it's actually firing.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
When they fire the "laser" does it make pew pew pew noises?

That way the pilot knows it's actually firing.

I should hope so!!!

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: BadBoYeed

The only airborne laser they have recently had was the YAL-1A. It first flew in 2002, but didn't actually fire a full power laser shot at a test missile until 2010. It was cancelled in 2012, and scrapped in 2014.
I

I guess we could take that to meant that they said, "Oh, crap, none of this stuff works, let's give it up."
Or, with a rather suspicious mind, I assume that either they just went dark on those programs or have something better.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

It contaminated the hell out of the airframe, didn't have crap for range requiring them to orbit over hostile territory to hit the target missile, and had limited fuel (which was more dangerous than hydrazine) for shots meaning they could only get a limited number of missiles.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
It took a 747 to hold all the chemical laser tanks of goo.

I worked at Boeing Redmond on the mock up....they told us 737......

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Nerd goddess baby, we have the same taste in fine entertainment

I'll be your Fat Bastard if you'll be my Allotta Fagina....or Foxy Cleopatra

.!a reply to: NerdGoddess

edit on 26-6-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
Nerd goddess baby, we have the same taste in fine entertainment

I'll be your Fat Bastard if you'll be my Allotta Fagina....or Foxy Cleopatra

.!a reply to: NerdGoddess

Hahaha good deal man, we need to get us one of these attack helicopters in that case.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Hydrazine. Only reason I know that word. The movie life. Is it used in non space based machines?

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

Yes. It has many non space uses.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That shbt is nasty. I worked at WSMR on the chemical lasers there. We had really bad stuff (DF lasers), but then the Air Force had to go find something just as scary in a different way. Ugh.

Chemical lasers are awesome for their power. They are entirely impractical for the battlefield.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

That said, I do believe lasers are going to be a big deal for attack helicopters coming up. And for other aircraft. Esp other aircraft. However, spot kills rather than area effects could have a profound impact on where strikes will be allowed.

One thing that the military dislike is a weapon system that is not all weather capable. Laser carrying platform operating in the planetary boundary layer will be vulnerable to weather and artificial obscurants. Remember the weakness of laser guided bomb and why GPS guidance replaced them?

The "plan" is probably to develop another "good" method to incinerate journalist (I mean terrorist) on a clear night from a couples km away. Just another assassination tool.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join