It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Marines Severely Burned due to Flash Fire While Performing Maintenance on Hornet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
There was an explosion while two Marines were working on a Hornet. Two Marines were burned from the flash fire. One Marine is in critical condition. Both are still in the hospital. There's not a lot of information out and about as far as my news feeds have been showing.

I thought I read somewhere it was an older model (ie non Rhino), but I can't seem to find the link. However, I want to separate that from the really known info. It would fit with the recent narrative of the older Hornets. Do we have a definitive source on which Hornet model this was?

news.usni.org...

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
A++ model. VMFA-112. I've seen them listed with Cs but most show them as A models still. Reserve unit.
edit on 6/26/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

What in the hell does A++ even mean?

Question 2: I know Reserve units generally get the cast-offs from active duty when it comes to equipment and gear, but isn't an A model like...way, way behind the curve compared to a Super Hornet?

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

It's an A model that has received upgrades to improve its capabilities. The F-18A+ replaced the original AN/APG-65 replaced with the AN/APG-73 that they switched to in the 90s.

There are active units still flying C models, which aren't far ahead of an A model, with all the upgrades the A has received.
edit on 6/26/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Gotcha. I wasn't sure what the capability gap across models/platforms is, but it appears less than what I expected.

As always, thanks for the aviation info

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

It more less boils down to time on wing with legacy aircraft. The later models, like the C have some advantages over the earlier ones, such as having the upgrades built into them from the start, but if you look at the A-D specifications, performance wise they're not that far apart when compared to the E/F.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Its a wonder the airframes arent falling apart.

new topics

top topics

join