It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do astronauts know about UFOs?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: thepixelpusher

How about responding with checkable evidence?

Do you still believe all the stories Cooper had told in the years after he left NASA? How about the one in his book where he packed a travel bag and cameras because he expected to get a trip on a visiting UFO?

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

Jim just look back at page 2 to see that I posted an interview video and a link to an article. Not just a lazy biased link to a vanity website set up to dismiss UFO sightings, like you did.

I feel sad for you that you didn't see something exciting like Gordon Cooper did. He may have made a bugout bag hoping he'd see something again, so what. Don't be that myopic jaded close minded person that believes life is only here on earth. You do realize water was found on mars and life can exist in water based locations. Jupiter's moon Europa has water. Walk outside some night and look at how many stars are visible to the eye alone. How can you remotely believe that we haven't been visited? I've seen a UFO too. Are you ready to troll me about my experience because I don't have a bumper off the UFO for evidence!? You can read about my experience here: UFO or Military?

How about staying on topic Jim and add some cogent arguments to this thread based upon your own experiences?

UFO Sightings by Astronauts

Above is a link to 10 people confirming astronaut UFO experiences. Care to dismiss all 10!?
edit on 20-7-2017 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimOberg
There are lots of stories. It's worth filtering out the most credible and trying to assess them.

My favorite is the story that Gordon Cooper saw a UFO on his Mercury-9 space mission in 1963.

On what basis should reasonable people believe that ever happened?

How would someone determine what criteria to use to assess a story to determine it's credibility? You're saying a principle or standard would need to be developed before we could believe the story. Stories are hearsay and therefore cannot be substantiated. If they cannot be substantiated how can you possibly asses them?

Your question regarding a basis for judgement is as irrelevant as me asking on what basis should reasonable people not believe that ever happened?

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Same with the photos -- it's not just a list of experts, it's basic physics. On a spacecraft moving 25,000 ft/sec with a shutter speed of 1/1000 of a second, the camera moves 25 feet while open. HOW could something only tenths of n inch across -- numbers on a license plate -- be resolvable?

You're not accounting for the altitude of the orbiting capsule. The further away you are from a moving object the less speed that object appears to have due to your distance from that object and it is very easy to take a photo of that object without blur. If he were at ground level traveling at that same speed then, yes, taking a photo of a license plate would be a blur.

Jupiter moves through Space at 49,500 feet per second yet I can go outside with a decent telescope and take a clear picture of Jupiter.
edit on 20-7-2017 by Outlier13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: thepixelpusher

Above is a link to 10 people confirming astronaut UFO experiences. Care to dismiss all 10!?

Let's do them one by one in reverse order.

Carpenter quote -- Nobody even knows where this came from. Carpenter denies ever saying it. Without a checkable source, it doesn't deserve credibility.

Chatelain story -- Total hoax. Never worked for NASA in any capacity [briefly held engineering job at contractor in mid-1960s, fired before Apollo program flew]. Wrote books on ancient astronauts and used 'National Enquirer' as research.

Remember, with extraordinary claims, the burden is on the claimant -- you -- to prove he ever WAS 'chief of NASA communications'. You can't. Nobody can, because it wasn't true.

Willing to scratch these two yet? Or can you provide BASIC source verification?
edit on 20-7-2017 by JimOberg because:

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Outlier13

"Jupiter moves through Space at 49,500 feet per second yet I can go outside with a decent telescope and take a clear picture of Jupiter."

So clear you can read the license plate on the Juno spacecraft?

How many pixels wide would such a 'clear' photo be?

2000, say? That's about 130,000,000 meters divided by 2,000. or 65,000 meters.

So a smear of 15,000 meters [Jupiter's motion] in a one-second exposure is a fraction of a single pixel, you'd never notice it.

Do the math for a license plate from low Earth orbit.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: thepixelpusher

Third from bottom: " I remember hearing one of the astronauts refer to a "light" in or on a crater during the television transmission, followed by a request from mission control for further information. Nothing more was heard. According to a former NASA employee Otto Binder, unnamed radio hams with their own VHF receiving facilities that bypassed NASA's broadcasting outlets picked up the following exchange"

Binder was a science fiction author who never worked for NASA but made a living in his later years from UFO books.

The 'white spot' remark is quite authentic, never a UFO. Mike Collins in orbit above the moon was trying to locate the LM and was discussing possible sightings with Houston. Here’s the amusing story about how an innocent remark during the first moonwalk metastasized into the weirdest UFO myth of all time, alien ships lined up on the crater in front of the astronauts.
www.jamesoberg.com...

Cernan
www.jamesoberg.com...

X-15 pilots White and Walker
magoniamagazine.blogspot.com...

Slayton
www.jamesoberg.com...

edit on 20-7-2017 by JimOberg because: adds

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Fourth from bottom:

Here's what Frank Borman, who was there, has to say about this story:

www.jamesoberg.com...

Fifth from bottom: McDivitt.

Here's his real opinion:

www.jamesoberg.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Jim, thanks for sharing that. Have you overheard anything in your years contracting at NASA that suggested there was an interest in UFO's?

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Jim, thanks for sharing that. Have you overheard anything in your years contracting at NASA that suggested there was an interest in UFO's?

Lots of folks were/are interested in UFOs, John Schuessler was my boss briefly, Al Pennington [a flight director] was an avid reader, Dave Kissinger was a MUFON official ....

and by the way, there ARE some really interesting spaceflight reports....

www.jamesoberg.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Thanks for your perspective and information.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Are you an expert in reconnaissance imaging and imaging satellites? I'm being serious because I intentionally left out another piece of information from my initial post and you didn't mention it which is surprising since you are attempting to come off as an imaging expert.

Do you think he was making a figurative statement or a literal statement regarding reading license plates from Space?

I would say he was speaking figuratively since a license plate isn't mounted on the roof of the car.
edit on 20-7-2017 by Outlier13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   

The question is why did Jim Oberg become so soured on the UFO topic? There is enough evidence to suggest there is something happening. But honestly all the engineers I know think in a very linear manner and are not open to outside the box thinking. I hate to generalize but maybe Jim is like this too? I hope not.

Still a good read:

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

The question is why did Jim Oberg become so soured on the UFO topic? There is enough evidence to suggest there is something happening. But honestly all the engineers I know think in a very linear manner and are not open to outside the box thinking. I hate to generalize but maybe Jim is like this too? I hope not.

Still a good read:

Fair questions, I've tried to answer them here -- www.jamesoberg.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Outlier13

Are you an expert in reconnaissance imaging and imaging satellites? I'm being serious because I intentionally left out another piece of information from my initial post and you didn't mention it which is surprising since you are attempting to come off as an imaging expert.

Do you think he was making a figurative statement or a literal statement regarding reading license plates from Space?

I would say he was speaking figuratively since a license plate isn't mounted on the roof of the car.

The story doean't exist in isolation so that one re-interpretation can save the day. He told literally dozens of tall tales in his declining years. Many other examples are on the Cooper section at www.ja mesoberg.com/ufo.html

Another example -- in his book h described in detail a visit to an inventor in Utah who had developed a miraculous flying saucer drive and vividly described how he had personally controlled a scale model of the craft flying around inside a barn, using a hand controller connected by cable -- but the inventor's daughter later revealed the model hadn't moved in years, didn't for Cooper, who merely flicked the hand controller around and just imagined it moved, and later wrote how impressed he's been with the agility of the craft and needed only a little investment capital to commercialize it..

edit on 21-7-2017 by JimOberg because:

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

You won't answer my question but whatever.

So your summary is you believe nothing Cooper said regarding witnessing a UFO land as true in the general sense of the word because you have found inconsistencies in various stories he has relayed over the years and therefore he is automatically lying.

edit on 21-7-2017 by Outlier13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Still a good read:

Fair questions, I've tried to answer them here -- www.jamesoberg.com...

Thanks Jim. Quite a thorough list of replies.

Jim, take a look at what I saw. I'm trying to identify it, but no one had identified it yet for me. I'd like your thoughts.

UFO or Military Aircraft?
edit on 21-7-2017 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

You won't answer my question but whatever.

So your summary is you believe nothing Cooper said regarding witnessing a UFO land as true in the general sense of the word because you have found inconsistencies in various stories he has relayed over the years and therefore he is automatically lying.

By no means. Three separate teams investigated Cooper's story of the UFO landing at Edwards in 1957. They talked with the actual photographers, with the duty officer on the 'Blue Book' desk that day, and with Cooper's supervisor, and checked the contemporary press reports of the event, and the actual Blue Book case file -- with images -- for the event.

I presume you've never seen those reports? That may be because the UFO community has actively suppressed their results and continues to promote the lie that the story 'has never been explained' -- counting on eager-believer audiences to accept that claim uncritically, as you appear to have.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

No, I've never seen them. But I have seen the interview where Cooper discusses the event and based solely on my ability to discern deceptiveness I believe Cooper believes he is telling the truth. The word "evidence" gets used extensively in the UFOlogy world much of which is fake. Additionally, the "evidence" investigators seek to uncover to debunk sightings, stories, and events is also fake leading them to false conclusions.

If you have access to those reports I would like to read them for my own edification.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

No, I've never seen them. But I have seen the interview where Cooper discusses the event and based solely on my ability to discern deceptiveness I believe Cooper believes he is telling the truth. The word "evidence" gets used extensively in the UFOlogy world much of which is fake. Additionally, the "evidence" investigators seek to uncover to debunk sightings, stories, and events is also fake leading them to false conclusions.

I don't doubt that Cooper was sincere. And if it was just the one fable, even when compared to ALL the other testimony that is consistent that no such object ever landed and took off and was photographed doing so [you can assume everybody ELSE was lying if you like], but in the context of dozens of other imagined fantasies he told consistently in his later years, a pattern emerges.

The 'space treasure map' he claimed to have made with a secret military sensor fits right into this pattern of delusional confabulation. Do yo believe ALL those stories, or just the UFO one?

edit on 21-7-2017 by JimOberg because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join